Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Sound

stephenc

On the way home from a 60,000 km service, I noticed there was an unusual sound coming from behind the dash/centre console.

It's more noticeable when accelerating from stationary and just when I start the engine. It sounds like air being sucked into a tube.

Could this be air in the cooling system? Since the coolant flows behind the heater (for heating), could this be the flow of bubbles/air pockets behind the console that I am hearing?

I don't think there is a bleed valve so I would get the dealer to do it, you shouldn't have to waste your time correcting their mistakes - unless you have a long drive to your dealer?

Will notify the dealer tomorrow. Thanks.

The car is still with the dealer. They are having problems removing the air trapped in the coolant line :angry:

When solved please confirm. Mine´s been that way forever...sounds for a while, then doesn´t ????

Confirmed - air in the heater core. The dealer bled the coolant lines. Took several days to rectify in my case. They usually jack up one end of the car to remove the air pockets. However, since the car is lowered they were unable to jack it high enough, so it took longer.

Dealer asked me to check it over the next few days just to ensure it's all clear :D

You will notice the blurbling sound just as you start the car and/or while accelerating.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

I have a similar noise , six months after a small front end crash.

The insurers repaired all, but accused me of lying, and said the noise must have been there before the crash.

Yeh, so why did I not get it checked out under warranty then :tomato:

Any way, after the threat of a solicitor, eventually they agreed to let Lexus look at it.

First visit - a new alternator - £640 ok i'm not paying - noise still there within 100 yards of collection.

Second vist - no answers - may the cat

Third vist - the cat goes on ()after the threat of the solicitor) £ 800 or so.

Guess what its still there - within the same bloody 100 yards to the roundabout.

Now no one wants to know.

I get Toyota Corp Japan involved - eventually Lexus GB call, and back it goes, at Lexus dealer cost " labour at least.

Now, the only mechanic they now have, as they left in Decemeber, finds that its a noise he thinks in the heater matrix. Prooved by clamping off the feeder pipe.

A long story and its still on going - as I am trying to get the insurer to pay for it.

Basically the noise is like a ssshhhh ing noise near your feet. It starts at about 4200rpm all the way up , any gear and neutral.

I still do not know for sure what the noise is as I have lost all confidence in the dealer.

If anyone as any ideas - they would be welcome.

this happens on mine sometimes straight after start-up.

Can it damage anything if left?

I would be concerned having any air in the cooling system as this may cause "hot-spots" around the engine block as the air circulates.

Hmmm, this is intresting.

I always thought my engine got up to temperature quick and seemed to run on the hot side (ie, cooling fan always kicking in and out).

Could this be because of this?

• 4 weeks later...
When solved please confirm. Mine´s been that way forever...sounds for a while, then doesn´t ????

Confirmed - air in the heater core. The dealer bled the coolant lines. Took several days to rectify in my case. They usually jack up one end of the car to remove the air pockets. However, since the car is lowered they were unable to jack it high enough, so it took longer.

Dealer asked me to check it over the next few days just to ensure it's all clear :D

You will notice the blurbling sound just as you start the car and/or while accelerating.

Still got my problem (see later post 8.1.05), but I now know it is the heater matrix, although Lexus Leeds say it is debris from the crash got into the matrix. When pipe clamped no noise.

Is this a thick question, but to bleed the system - how exactly is that done ? Presumably jacked up the front end ?