Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aircon Re-gas

My car went in for its service this morning and just received a call that the aircon gas is running low, and while the air is still cold, it may run out by next summer.

Can't be bothered taking the car back in a few months so told them to do it (at a cost of £164).

Just want to check however whether its normal for a car thats 2 years and 3 months old to have the aircon re-gassed. Could it be a potential leak? The dealer claims its not a leak and its normal for a car of this age.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aircon systems should be serviced at least every 4 years, it is not just the gas but there is a dryer unit in there which makes sure the water content in the gas is kept within spec. The dryer unit is similar to a silica gel bag and as such can become saturated eventualy, so can need replacing.

Last time I have a regas and service on my last car aircon it was 100 quid all in. I would suspect that the dealer may get someone in to do the work for them hence 160 odd quid.

There was a poster for aircon servicing charges in the Lexus parts department in Teesside (Croft Toyota) but I didnt take much notice of it, however I dont recall the cost being that much.

My last aircon service was carried out by AA Electrical who are just round the corner from Lexus Croydon.

HTH

Well he did say something about it going due to evaporation, so maybe it is that the water content has decreased.

So I guess its not likely to be some kind of leak? I best keep an eye on it and get it checked again before the warranty ends next year

When it is regassed they check the back pressure (indications of leaks or dryer being on the last legs) they usualy contain a UV dye in the refrigerant so any leaks show up with a UV lamp.

Was the 160 exclusive of VAT and did it include a gold discount ?

When it is regassed they check the back pressure (indications of leaks or dryer being on the last legs) they usualy contain a UV dye in the refrigerant so any leaks show up with a UV lamp

Yeah they said they put in a dye to check for leaks and said there was nothing visible. He also reiterated once again that its absolutely normal for a car thats 2 years old to be regassed and said I can prob expect to do it again in another 2 years.

Was the 160 exclusive of VAT and did it include a gold discount ?

The price was £164 all inclusive which I guess wasn't too bad but was split £114+VAT labour and £25+VAT refrigerant. Sadly, despite my pleas, Edgware Road still don't do gold discount ;)