Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Petrol Advice

GaryG

Hi Folks,

I'll be taking delivery of my IS200 SE next Friday (and I can't wait! :driving: ).

So, wanting to do the right thing from the off, I'm wondering what your thoughts are when it comes to filling up. Should I avoid Asda and Morrisons like the plague and stick with the big boys (Shell, BP, etc.), or is a more relaxed and frugal approach acceptable?

This coming from a cheap-skate who usually whacks in the cheapest plonk available...

Cheers,

G

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Folks,

I'll be taking delivery of my IS200 SE next Friday (and I can't wait!  :driving: ).

So, wanting to do the right thing from the off, I'm wondering what your thoughts are when it comes to filling up. Should I avoid Asda and Morrisons like the plague and stick with the big boys (Shell, BP, etc.), or is a more relaxed and frugal approach acceptable?

This coming from a cheap-skate who usually whacks in the cheapest plonk available...

Cheers,

G

tests show that 9 out of 10 lexus owners prefer optimax :D

to be honest the only advantage i got from optimax was better mpg if i was doing a lot of motorway driving, so i stick with tesco petrol and get clubcard points! :o :lol:

>>>Petrol Advice, Supermarket... or Unethical Conglomerate

Where is the ethical dilemma Tesco buys their petrol from Esso, ASDA is Walmart., Sainsburys is Shell. I stick to Shell because its the devil I know.

In 2003 Tesco's profits were up at £1.3 Billion for the year, nice. Shell, on the other hand pulled in £2.4 Billion in the first 3 months of 2003!! Even nicer. But as I'm not a Shell shareholder, I'd rather not contribute to lining their pockets... unless it's for the good of my motor... I like what Wosket says, my Nectar card is itching for some points. :winky:

Now, if "Sainsburys is Shell" - it' can't be equivalent to "piddling in the tank", as Rodders says... :duh: I'm confused...

Clear as mud, eh? Apparantly it's all about the additives, right?

I'd rather not contribute to lining their pockets... unless it's for the good of my motor... I like what Wosket says, my Nectar card is itching for some points. :winky:

Now, if "Sainsburys is Shell" - it' can't be equivalent to "piddling in the tank", as Rodders says... :duh: I'm confused...

Clear as mud, eh? Apparantly it's all about the additives, right?

Gary your better off going with the tesco clubcard then with the nectar......i get at least £20 back every quater from clubcard ands thats not even from petrol or using it every time i shop (i dont buy perol from tesco cause its easier to get from BP as there is 2 on the way to work) however i have been collecting nectar from bp since they started it and thats been what about 2 years if not more and i think ive only got about £50 on it, some of which is shopping at sainsburys - what a bump :duh:

If it wasn't for the likes of Tesco I think that petrol prices would be about a third more than they are now (IMHO).

It was the supermarkets many years ago that got the big boys to drop their prices toot sweet faced with serious price competition.

Tesco from Esso - interesting :)

Mine is running as sweet as a nut with Tesco squirt and I'm getting 31mpg :P

I started with BP SUL but have now changed to Optimax as it is cheaper at Motorwayt services (and near home).

I think I was paying between 91 - 96p for BPSUL and never pay more than 93 for Optimax (though I would have to check the reciepts I have to confirm this.)

use the highest octane you can. I use optimax (98 ron) and I think esso super is 98 ron as well. You get more mpg which more than covers the extra cost you spend to get super. I have nectar card but I don't bother with sainsbury's petrol. Also I've got 25,000 points and don't know how to spend them

The plot thickens! Several different opinions here. I get the Octane bit. Thanks for all your comments guys.

I guess Shell Optimax and BP Ultimate are the LOC's jungle-juice of choice, however, the odd supermarket tipple isn't going to do too much damage to the straight-six or the MPG. Anything else and it just starts to get religous...

G

p.s. nice one Shaz, I never seem to build any points of of Nectar, and Sainsburys is my main monthly shop (dunno how you did 25k Lexus Jim), I may have to pay Tesco a visit...

• 3 months later...

Well I have filled up for the last 4 -5 tanks with normal UL from where ever I have been at the time (mainly BP & Sainsburrys) and I have noticed NO DIFFERENCE from them and SUL or Optimax. So I am sticking to the lesser cost option from now on.

Petrol and diesel is a commodity and is centrally marketed and distributed.

Bet you didn't know that just because you are fuelling from a Shell / Esso / BP fuel station that you are putting Shell / Esso / BP motion potion in your tank?

All of the big distributors supply their own and other peoples fuel stations. It's all a matter of cost. If Shell can get a few million litres from Esso (they are joint venture partners in the biggest oilfield in the North Sea - Brent) cheaper than from their own supply, that's what they'll do.

Likewise with the supermarkets - they'll buy from whoever is cheapest.

All that the fuel supplier has to do is to ensure that the fuel they supply to a fuel station meets the RON (Reasearch Octane Number) specifications and British Standard of what the the pump puts in your tank.

Fill up with the highest RON fuel you can buy at the cheapest price....... :D

I tryed the Optimax stuff in the LS400,i did reset the ecu....no difference,did go any better just cost more to fill up......

I also tryed Optimax in me old 24V senator also took the Battery lead off to reset.....no difference.....

I think there are only real gains to be made with turbo engines.....theres a big difference in performance ive noticed in the Aristo....i did try normal unleaded,but i will stick with Optimax :driving:

Cheers chips.

• 7 months later...