Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Rack

spostgate

If I rock the steering wheel from left to right on My GS300 with 42k miles, I notice that the rack moves on it's mount. It is attached to the chassis via bolts, surrounded by rubber around a metal tube. Is it normal for the rack to move prior to moving the wheels. I believe that the design is to absorb vibration but I think the movement is excessive. Any ideas?

If I rock the steering wheel from left to right on My GS300 with 42k miles, I notice that the rack moves on it's mount. It is attached to the chassis via bolts, surrounded by rubber around a metal tube. Is it normal for the rack to move prior to moving the wheels. I believe that the design is to absorb vibration but I think the movement is excessive. Any ideas?

No it's not... go get it sorted.

• 1 month later...

Yikes, just to add to my previous post, i've just bought a GS300 Sport 54k miles, 2 previous owners, full service history, and on the long distance journey back from london to derby i noticed at high speed the steering would easily move side to side, not sure if this is ball joints or if the rack is loose, will have to check later when i have an assistant, what do you guys think it could be?

Oh just to add, took it to a tyre place and asked them to check alignment, and it was spot on, they also checked for play in the steering and said there was a bit until the power steering was turned on with the engine, quite worried that this is gonna end up costing me big time

Yikes, just to add to my previous post, i've just bought a GS300 Sport 54k miles, 2 previous owners, full service history, and on the long distance journey back from london to derby i noticed at high speed the steering would easily move side to side, not sure if this is ball joints or if the rack is loose, will have to check later when i have an assistant, what do you guys think it could be?

Oh just to add, took it to a tyre place and asked them to check alignment, and it was spot on, they also checked for play in the steering and said there was a bit until the power steering was turned on with the engine, quite worried that this is gonna end up costing me big time

When I asked my garage to check for play in the steering rack, they said you must check it with the power steering on. Play in the rack when the engine is not running does not mean anything.

However, you might like to check the recent thread on the subject for an inexpensive source of steering rack reconditioning.

Stephen

hi all

as per the tread about cheap source of recon steering racks,

i am an mot inspector i have use bristol power steering i have

found the results from them are as good as new.

when a power steering rack is checked for wear in must be done

with both front wheels raised clear of the ground and with the engine

running, hold the wheel at 3 and 9 and rock the wheel any play will be evident.

while u are there if you hold the wheel at 11 and 5 you can check the ball joint.

i hope this is of some help to everyone. remember a small amount os play in the steering rack is not a reason for failer on an mot or anything to worry about.

regards

andy. :driving:

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah Andy et all, they checked the play with the engine running the car clear of the ramp and moving the wheels as you suggested and said they couldn't find any play in the rack or ball joints, but since then i noticed the tire was flat, i dare say not even 12 psi in it, so pumped it up, but the tyre had been so flat it'd damaged the sidewall and a bulge was evident when it was pumped back to 32 psi.

Subsequently it cost me £250.80 from lexus to fit me a new 275/35 ZR18 tyre, now learnt my lesson, and its actually made the car handle better at high speed. Although its lost 9 psi in the 4 days its been on, so i'll be going back to lexus for them to check it over. I'm pretty sure its not due to temperature changes affecting pressure or anything like that as i checked all the pressures were 32 psi when they put the new tyre on, then checked them all today, each one except that one had 32 in whilst that one had 23 in.

:offtopic: