Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scaping Sound On Lowered Is

Anees

Hi guys,

I recently got my car lowered on Eibach springs which I think offer a ride even better then the standard springs when used with my 18" alloys.

The problem I have is that when I am reversing I can sometime hear a scrapping sound comming from the car. Worried about this I took the car to my local garage and they put it on a rap and checked underneath for any scrapes. Apparently I am scrapping the botton of my catalytic convertor! :blink:

He showed me the marks where it had been scraped! Since the cat is "solid" he couldn't push it up abit - now I don't want to have to pay to have a new cat in a few years time with all this scrapping so what can I do?

I only have a 30mm drop and so far no problems with speed bumps. Only time I really get the noise is:

--> reversing out of my driveway

--> going at speed when their are sudden dips in the road

--> sometimes at very low speeds i.e in a car park I can hear a veryvery slight scrapping noise too .

I got the tracking checked and they said it was "Spot-on"

i have seen the IS200 tracking information on the knowledgabase - does this apply to the IS200 when it is lowered and has bigger wheels too?

Thanks

IT GETS WORSE!! :crying:

I took the car to Bradford (hilly!) to do some shopping and had one passenger in the back seat (plus had a spare tye in the boot), and everytime their was a dip in the road or I had to turn a corner I could hear a pretty loud scrape -seemed to be comming from either corner or directly underneath . I am getting seriously worried now!

I HAVE A WORRYING THOUGHT! When I got the car lowered - the garage cut about 1cm off some "stoppers" from the front /back of the car. They said that if they didn't the car wouldn't drop properly. Could this have caused it??

I have some pics of the car side-on so that you can see if has something has gone horribly wrong!!

lexus%20005.jpg

The strange child in the car is my little brother!! :D LOL

lexus%20006.jpg

It doesn't look like the tyres are being scrapped at all.

I am getting sad because I see other IS owners throwing their car around corners - wish I could join them! :sick:

Thanks for the replies.

To answer a few questions:

The alloys are 18" with an offset of 38. AltezzaScott has/had the same alloys with the same offset and when I PM'd him he said he never had a problem.

I really don't think its my front tyres scraping - noise seems to come from the back or the centre.

Could be the back I suppose. I do get the noise if I try to go fast round a corner and the car rolls slightly to one side.

Maybe I need the arches rolled then?

Gord - you have a PM - I know where boddingtons brewery is - opposite Victoria Station/MEN area. I appreciate your offer.

PS Just had a look at the picture of the car I posted - "damn it looks nice - very photogenic" ;) Just wish it would now move as fast as it looks! lol :D

What about the silencer too?

I had mine removed when I put Zee's kit on and basically the lowest part of the car is now the Cat, and I have to avoid speed bumps basically, there are frigging loads at work and I catch them even at less than 10mph!!!

I like the looks of the car lowered so it's staying this way for now, but if I see a big speed bump or those gay square one's I do actually turn the car round and go back the other way!!!!!

UPDATE!

Went to see Gordon and he could spot straightaway what the problem was!

I have added an (admittedly very bad) picture to explain what the problem was:

lexus_problem.jpg

The alloys on the car are an offset of 38 (said so on the box), so it is strange they are sticking out this much. They tyres had marks around them where they had been hitting the arches.

I will go to Wheelbase in Oldham tommorow (recommended by Gord) and either get a few mm taken off the alloys or get the arches rolled (or both!)

See what they say!

My thanks to Gordon again for being kind enough to take time to see me and help me out - great guy! :D

I am also chuffed he gave me the chance to have a go in his Supercharged IS - but I turned him down otherwise their are no prizes for guessing where my next bundle of cash will end up!! :D MUST RESIST! MUST RESIST!

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!! :whistling:

Anees, you have an IS300 badge on the back, I thought you drove a 200? :whistling:

Ha!

The first person to mention it it - you should win a prize! :D

I got the badges from Hong Kong (eBay) and they didn't do a badge set for the IS200, so I got the IS300 set.

When I get chance I'll get my original "200" badge gold plated and replace the 300 but - but I'm in no rush! ;)

Right -since I'm off work today I am off to WheelBase in Oldham.

Anees, you have an IS300 badge on the back, I thought you drove a 200? :whistling:

Ha!

The first person to mention it it - you should win a prize! :D

I got the badges from Hong Kong (eBay) and they didn't do a badge set for the IS200, so I got the IS300 set.

When I get chance I'll get my original "200" badge gold plated and replace the 300 but - but I'm in no rush! ;)

Right -since I'm off work today I am off to WheelBase in Oldham.

:winky:

Well, I have a sports sticker on the rear 1/4 window but I drive an SE :tomato:

Damn, :(

Went to Wheelbase and they don't do Arch Rolling or trimming the alloys.

I also tried:

-> PanelCare (not started the service yet)

-> BMS (not a clue who is ask)

--> MSA (were quite useful - said if I got the alloys cut that they would be weaker and recommended arch rolling - but they don't do it)

-> Mitchall Performance Tyres (no idea)

Any one else know of one quite localish?

Thanks,

Anees