Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would You Have Chosen Manual?

javadude

Given a choice would you have chosen a manual IS300?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Given a choice would you have chosen a manual IS300?

• Yes
    • No

A couple of years ago I would definitely have wanted a manual, but now I'm older, lazier and spend too much time on the M62, which means either steady cruise or, more likely, a traffic jam - either way, auto wins for me.

Well the IS300 isn't completely a Auto :huh: Don't forget the E-Shift gears :) when you fancy a change of driving style!

I got tired of the constant clutch changing, 2nd gear clonking and the screaming 3500rpm at 70mph on my brand new IS200 Sport, i also drove an auto IS200 and felt that was much quicker from standstill than the manual, so it was a natural choice to go for the 3.0 litre auto, did you hear that? 3.0 litre, yes, 3.0 LITRE ohh did i mention it comes with 211 bhp as standard ! :D :D

I presume the top end speed would remain the same?? - Due to box restrictions?

Would a box from a Supra or similar not fit?

Probably more to do with the diff gearing than the gearbox.

You could get a Supra gearbox to fit but would require a bit of work. You would normally go for a Supra gearbox if you want to modify your engine over 300bhp. If you wanted to keep the power as standard I wouldn't use it, it's no better than the IS200 box for smooth shifting.

Thanks guys. Looks like even amongst those who bought an IS300 about 50% of you would have preferred a manual. Add to that those who've bought an RS200 or supercharged an IS200 to get the power and keep a manual gearbox and all those who've bought a different make and it does look like Lexus really missed something.

Anyway personally it's interesting cause it suggests that the e-shift thing isn't as good as a manual even when you've got used to it. Perhaps I'll go for an RS200 next instead of an IS300. Guess I'll probably test-drive both. Hmmm not for a while yet though need to save some pennies.