Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rough Gear Change May Be Sorted.

Dear all

Thought I would enlighten you to an update re my earlier posts of the transmission snatching issue that I have had with my car from new. (RX300 SE-L)

I was asked by Lexus to disconnect the Battery for at least five minutes in order to reset the learning capability of the gearbox. (This was a request passed to them from Lexus Japan, via Lexus GB).

Lexus actually offered to do this for me, but I preferred to save the drive to my dealer and do it myself.

After having done as requested (batt disconnect for 20 minutes), the problem seems to have gone.....

.....It is early days though, and the car has only done 150 miles since the batt disconnect but the problem certainly seems alot better.

Also I would like to talk to my Lexus dealer about this before I post in more detail as I have yet to give him the results which they are waiting for.

All I hope is that this simple fix resolves the problem which I know myself and many others have experienced and hats off the Lexus Croydon for being attentive and positive towards trying to solve this issue for me.

I will post again soon hopefully after I have a few more miles on it and have spoken to the Lexus engineer in Croydon.

regards

RxMike.

Hi

Not sure if this helps or not but i had exactly the same problem with my IS300 - it was fine for 3000 miles and then the gearbox suddenly started playing up - it would change into second with a big thump that jerked the whole car.

The Battery was disconnected but after 3000 miles it came back again - it eventually got so annoying that i took it up with lexus who denied there was a problem at first.

Eventually after having the car a year they admitted it was a problem and offered me a deal - I got my money back on my IS300 and bought an RX300SEL

Thankfully i have not had the problem with the RX.

Jon

Today I spoke with the Lexus engineer at Lexus Croydon.

It would certainly appear that removing power from the car for at least five minutes seems to have sorted the problem that I was having.

I feel I should mention that this was not a huge problem in the first place, only something that was apparent due to the silky smooth behavior of the car in every other respect.

I have only covered 150 miles since the Battery was reconnected, yet nearly all of this has been around the usual places and in much the same driving conditions as previously and yet the transmission has not snatched once when accelerating away from a slow speed start (less than 10mph).

I hope the problem doesn't manifest itself again in the future and my recommendation to anyone else suffering the same problem is to try this simple fix.

Harlowrog, if you're thinking of doing this, I simply disconnected the cars negative lead for 20 mins. I didn't lose any of my prestored GPS points, nor did I have to retune the radio. I did however have to re initialise all the electric windows, and the sunroof which took only a couple of minutes.

This simply involves winding all the electric windows fully down and then up in sequence, after this they will work again fine. The sunroof is done if I remember correctly by holding the switch in the fully open (might be closed) position until the roof has gone through one full open and close cycle with the switch constanly held in the aformentioned position. Once this is complete it will return to normal operation.

I know that Lexus were keen to see if this had remedied the problem and in fact it was them who called me to see how the vehicle was now getting on! (Now that's not something that dealers normally do....not in my experience anyway. Another notch in the cap for Lexus :winky: ).

I hope this is now the end of this for all who may have noticed it on their RX's as for what I have read it would have seemed to be the only single problem that was common to a number of RX300's.

Once again hats off to Lexus Croydon and especially Sal who seems like a top bloke and ceratinly seems to know his Lexus'.

Toodlepip

Mike G.

I know this is passing the buck a bit, but is it worth asking one of the moderators to tell the US web site about the hopeful fix I've tried regarding this problem.

There is quite an extensive thread on this subject over there.

Maybe a quick power down (batt disconnect) might help as I've already explained above.

Am not a user over there and have to disappear to work for a few days and so cannot find the time to tell them.

Just a thought.

Mike G

Colin

Thanx - didn't realise this fact although the fix I have tried on the recommendation of Lexus was simply to reset the cars 'intelligent' gearbox learning programme by making it start learning from scratch.

I would imagine that this system must be similar to the RX330 but I'm pnly guessing.

Roger, hope it sorts yours out - let me know.

I'm still adding miles to the car since the 'fix', and as yet have not seen a real re-occurance of the symtoms as yet.

Fingers crossed.

Mike G

• 2 months later...
Today I spoke with the Lexus engineer at Lexus Croydon.

It would certainly appear that removing power from the car for at least five minutes seems to have sorted the problem that I was having.

I feel I should mention that this was not a huge problem in the first place, only something that was apparent due to the silky smooth behavior of the car in every other respect.

I have only covered 150 miles since the battery was reconnected, yet nearly all of this has been around the usual places and in much the same driving conditions as previously and yet the transmission has not snatched once when accelerating away from a slow speed start (less than 10mph).

Hi Mike wondered how you were getting on? Mine has done exactly what you described since new (just one month ago). Realy starting to annoy me as passengers thinks it's my driving!

Would be interested in hearing from you.

br

D