Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tiptronic Gearbox

esi_vtec

i got a altezza rs200 tiptronic auto. how do you use the tiiptronic mode? as soon as i stick it to tiptronic mode the dash reads '4' or 'D' which i presume the highest gear? i always got the impression that you start off with the lowest gear like a conventional manual gear shift you starts in 1st gear.

would i have to change down to lowest gear when i go to tiptronic mode on the altezza & the lowest gear is '2'??what happened to '1' gear?

simple question to some but i never used a triptronit gearbox of any cars before, my last car was a civic 1.6 ESi vtec sedan with conventional 4spd auto.

Moving from D into E-shift mode will put you in top - you wouldn't want to be doing 80mph and it puts you in first!

Once you have put the level into e-shift then you can control the maximum gear with the buttons on the steering wheel. You cannot select 1st. The car will still use first gear to pull away, you just cannot hold it there.

the thingto remember is that it doesnt act in the way you think, ie changing up and down the gears as you need them via the bitton.

How it works is that what ever gear is selected via M mode is the MAXIMUM gear it will achieve, ie if its 3 then it will pull away as normal the car will got through 1st into 2nd then into 3rd adn will not go any higher and if you keep your foot down you will hit the limiter.

Same would happen if you select 2, the car will go no higher than 2nd.

Of course you can change up and down via the buttons, but you really do not need to worry about shifting down in a hurry,, just remember to shift up at the right time..

Not sure if this is the same on your gearbox, but mine won't let me go into 2nd either until the car has warmed up. Think it must be an engine protection thing. D by the way is 5th (as you've probably guessed). You might also notice it feels and sounds like it is changing gear sometimes (especially with ect pwr on) but I think it's just the VVTI tweaking itself, it stays in the same gear.

thanks for help guys...cleard few things up.

as for not letting me in 2nd gear till it warmed up, dont know never tried. i only ever switch to the tiptronic after being in auto mode i.e. decide to use it when at traffic lights only as i had the impression wait till the car warmed up before using the tiptronic mode just like the tipronic gearbox on the 1997-current mitsubishi galant.

Not sure if this is the same on your gearbox, but mine won't let me go into 2nd either until the car has warmed up. Think it must be an engine protection thing. D by the way is 5th (as you've probably guessed). You might also notice it feels and sounds like it is changing gear sometimes (especially with ect pwr on) but I think it's just the VVTI tweaking itself, it stays in the same gear.

never heard of the 2nd gear warm up thing..

what happens if you manually put it in 2nd using the shifter instead of the tiptronic,,, would have thought it would go int o 2nd

hell the car pulls away in first and shifts into 2nd even when the car is cold,,

Funny, but I had that on Saturday morning.

I wanted 2nd to control the speed down the ice-rink that used to be the hill I live on - but in M it wouldn't go below 3.

Never had it before but I guessed it was some kind of cold-related protection.

Funny, but I had that on Saturday morning.

I wanted 2nd to control the speed down the ice-rink that used to be the hill I live on - but in M it wouldn't go below 3.

Never had it before but I guessed it was some kind of cold-related protection.

did you try manually shifting into 2nd,, also if the RPM is too high then the tiptronic wont let yuo downshift,, i guess so you dont accidently press the wrong button,,

did you try manually shifting into 2nd,, also if the RPM is too high then the tiptronic wont let yuo downshift,, i guess so you dont accidently press the wrong button,,

No I didn't try shifting with the stick - I was already halfway down the hill!

Yeah, I know about it not letting you downshift if it would be past redline - I was at walking pace, like I said, it was an icy hill.

• 4 weeks later...

Must admit I haven't tried using the gear stick.

It's definately a heat related thing. It's been so cold recently that mid journey when it warms I get second, but when I slow into town and the temperature goes down I lose it again. I'll try with the stick.