Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Please

steveb1

Just having my 2nd service done at Reading, they phoned to let me know that the inside of my tyres had between 1.5mm and 2mm of tread, now I have only done 8700 miles since I've had the car from brand new. Beth at Reading said it was because of the suspension set up (whatever that means) and it is rear wheel drive she also said it is not unheard of. Now I treat my car like a baby, never go that fast until engine nice and warm and certainly don't go racing around corners. I have never bumped a kerb so can't think why tracking is out. Beth quoted £130 + VAT for each trye - think I'll phone local tyre dealer first.

Has anyone else had same problem? Do you think it is worth writing to Lexus?

Had my car serviced last friday and had the same call, 3 of my tyres have all worn along the edge leaving plenty of tread on the rest of it. They said they'll last about another 2000 miles or so and then replace them all and have the wheel alignment checked.

Apparently this is a normal occurence ;)

Heavy wear on the inside of the fronts is pretty much regarded as "normal" by dealers. Assume you're talking about the rears though (otherwise comment about RWD makes no sense) - in which case, sounds like your alignment is off.

Try blackcircles.com for tyres - £130+VAT is steep, but then, don't buy tyres from the stealer.

the camber adjustment is a common problem on the IS, it is worth getting it done every 6 -8 months or so, considering the cost of tyres.

but be sure to get it done somewhere that does 4 wheel alignment and pref with a laser.

I've heard this to normal, told the lady at the service desk at birmingham so. She said no it wasnt, and that i go into too many potholes, take corners too fast and probably kerb my wheels :angry:

Well it's nowt to do with it being RWD then.

I'd get the alignment done. You can still suffer bad tyre wear with the fronts "in spec" but 8000 miles is very poor.

I usually swap front to back at about 15K to even them up and get 30-35K for the set.

Just to clarify, yes it is the front tyres that have worn, will get them checked out at local dealer

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a quick look at the front tyres this weekend. they;ve done 9.5k miles and the insides are visibly more worn than the outsides, though I dont have any measurements. I reckon I might get another 5k out of the fronts before I might have to replace them. Would it help if i swapped the right front with the right rear and the left front with the left rear to even out some wear? whats the best rotation pattern? I live in London and moving the tyres on the rims isnt going to be a cheap exercise.

I havent got the alightment and camber setting checked. can anyone recommend a place in south, south-east or east london thats aware of what the correct settings should be?

Had the same problem. Got told it's the way the car is set up from the manufactures.

Argued - "is the car expected the wear the front tyres (inner wall) faster then the rest of the tyre"?? Got info back saying that this should not be normal - Otherwise I would get the dealer to replace the tyres cos of un-even wear.

Getting it laser aligned is the best option. 6 8 months intervals.

I've just picked up new tyres from Blackcircle and quoted that I was a Gold Lexus member - they give discounts..

OKAY, before I start, my wheels are never kerbed, i avoid pot-holes and they spend most of there time on the motorway.

Now.............

I had an IS200 Sport from new and i traded it in after 20 months with 37k miles on it, it was still on the original tyres and ALL tryes had worn down perfectly even I traded this car in for a NEW IS300 and within 7 months and 10k miles later the inner edges to the front tyres are now illegal, the remaining part of the tyres still show 6mm. The whole handling of the car feels shagged , it bumps steers, tram-lines and just about ever bump is transmitted through the cabin !

It seriously needed a 4 wheel laser alignment, but felt Lexus should pay, But... hey ! they wouldnt As i suspected, the fronts were toeing out, but just about every angle on all 4 wheels were out!

This has been corrected with the alignment now but one of my CASTER angles is outside the tollerance figures and it can't be adjusted, i guess it won't affect tyre wear, but surely this can't be right for the cars handling?

I'm dissapointed with a car that cost me £30k, Lexus can't sort out tyre wear!

The ride does feel improved now but i still get a 'tugging' from the steering wheel at speeds below 40mph, it feels like there is no straight line stability at all !!!

Anyone else get this on a NEW car?????????????

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links