Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had My First 180 This Morning

jasons

Driving back from golf this morning, just doing normal speed round a roundabout and I lost the back end :crybaby:

Ending up travelling backwards and the car bounced up over the kerb and landed with all four wheels on the path facing the wrong way.

As they say, the lord smiles on the righteous as I missed a lamppost by millimeters (and it was millimeters!) I watched it in slow mo' going past the drivers door, front wing, getting closer all the time!

Bit shaken, but when I got home I checked the car over and there was just one muddy alloy, no stratches, dents or dings.

Booking the car in for a once over tomorrow but was just lucky no-one was

a. behind me

or

b. on the path!

First time its happened in this car, and to be fair, I never had it as bad in my old BM.

But still a timely reminder to everyone now its getting cold and frosty in the mornings!

J

I did this once, it was a few months ago, going left around a small corner.

Think I hit some oil and grease on the tarmac or something, as I was only in 2nd - doing no more than 25 MAX!

Left hand down and the back end swung right around, I ended up crushed against a massive tree on the pavement, with the drivers window glass all over me! :ohmy:

It costi a fortune, my side skirt was bent, I needed a new door, interior panel (£500 ALONE!) etc. etc. etc.

It all happened so quickly, I could even prevent it! The only lucky things were the roads were relatively clear so I only hit the tree and the Airbags didn't engage tho :¬I

It these Rear Wheel Drive cars, very different than my old Corsa 16v :-) :sick:

It snowed here yesterday and it was pretty bad - have to admit the IS handled better than I expected it to with these mods on, last year the car was stock and was crap in the snow - fishtailed once but took it easy and no probs...

Tempted to buy myself a £200 banger for Xmas use!

Had something like that too, only on wet road. The car turned around 180. Was quite scary and fast, but stoped it on the time. Was interested why TRC didn't work?

Traction control is only a secondary safety measure, it does not in its self mean that you won't spin out in extreme circumstances !

Traction control is completly reactionary. You have to lose traction for it to kick in and by then it is sometimes too late.

VSC fitted to the IS300 and all other Lexus models (or the next generation system - VDM to be fitted to the series III GS) do a much better job.

t/c in the is200 is poop, even with the lsd my wheels always spin.

i got caught out last year and did a 180 down the m60 slip road. once you get to know your car well its great fun though, went sideways yesterday pulling out from a tight junction, just powered out of it, great fun!

it can be quite scary at times tho...

my backend has also stepped out on me going round a roundabout. It was wet so I wasn't going fast, i think i hit some diesel or something. What did surprise me was how quick it wanted to kick out, luckily it gained traction again so it didn't spin 180.

I need to find a large open space where i can practice this stuff!

I spent 2 hours on a Skid Pan for my driving course ........ just skidding around in 3.0 litre omega's ! ... how fun ........ !! lol

You soon learn how to correct skid's when the wall runs towards you !!

I spun my IS earlier this year when we had the snow... Going down the M2 at 4am going home from work, nothing about, then a lorry started sliding towards me, swerverd to get round it & back end started to drift out, corrected it, got past said lorry, turned to get back on the clear bit of road & the back end went again, a lot faster this time, went round & round about 3 or 4 times.

Moved car to hard shoulder (roughly), managed not to hit anything at all so emptied undies & carried on with my journey... Extremely carefuly!

TC is a waste of time in the snow, it only works if theres somewhere to get traction.

Stuart