Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Thing I Miss

A couple of years ago I had a 523 as a company car for a while (until the company went bust).

Now I've got the IS300 I've regained some of the things that I missed, the dimming rear view mirrow, HID lights, a smooth gearbox etc. However, the Beemer had something that the Lexus doesn't - a couple of little orange lamps in the roof near the map lights that cast a subtle glow over the console and gearlever. A night, the dial and things are lit nicely but that doesn't necessarily mean you can easily see where your hand is in comparison. I thought these lights were a lovely touch.

I wonder how much of a job it would be to get my grubby little mitts on a couple of these lights and to get them wired in?

Pete

A couple of years ago I had a 523 as a company car for a while (until the company went bust).

Now I've got the IS300 I've regained some of the things that I missed, the dimming rear view mirrow, HID lights, a smooth gearbox etc.  However, the Beemer had something that the Lexus doesn't - a couple of little orange lamps in the roof near the map lights that cast a subtle glow over the console and gearlever.  A night, the dial and things are lit nicely but that doesn't necessarily mean you can easily see where your hand is in comparison.  I thought these lights were a lovely touch.

I wonder how much of a job it would be to get my grubby little mitts on a couple of these lights and to get them wired in?

Pete

I'm not sure how you would fit it but I know the facelift Corsa and new Astra/Vectra come with it, they call it indirect night lighting and it comes from LED's underneath the mirror.

Thanks for everyone's concern about my ability to find the gearstick - it's heartwarming but I'm pleased to say I've not had any problems so far.

I'm a bit concerned about the washer lights idea. Wouldn't I then have to re-upholster the interior in Burberry check? And don't even get me started on people driving with their front fogs on!!

And in my defence, I would like to point out that I didn't own, or even choose the B*W. I started work with the company, a director had recently left, and they gave me his car during my probationary period. I was planning on having an IS200. Had to wait a couple more years before that eventually happened, when I could actually afford to buy one myself :D

Pete

They call it "ambience lighting" on the beemer, I had it on my 320d thought it was a nice touch, the idea was to give a sense of warmth in the car....can't say I miss it though, would much rather have cruise control on my IS200!

Bah humbug, its Bimmer, not Beemer, and BMW, not B*W!!! You guys need to check out www.e46fanatics.com

Although slightly :offtopic: but talking of things you miss with a Lex.....

Where the hell is the little light that tells you when your washer bottle is empty?

I ran out half way :driving: down the M1 last night with more than my fair share of salty spray (oooeerrr!!) I couldn't see a :tsktsk: thing!!

21K Motor and no warning light! Perhaps I'll go back to the Volvo! :lol:

Ho Hum

The thing I miss about my old beemer is not being able to drive to work and see 10's of identical business cars..

.. Used to make me think my old company put a lot of hard work giving me such a wide choice..

.. But I don't miss the 1st aid kit, that came with me! :whistling:

i think we alll agree that there are a number of small features that european luxury cars have as standard like washer fluid lights, illuminated mirror switches, great ergonomics, memory seats, dimming interior lamps, map spotlights etc. given that the IS is really based of a toyota, its not too surprising that these are missing. hopefully the next generation will be more mature.