Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello peeps,i got into my car this morning and after starting the car some warning lights didnt go out as normal,oil,parking brake,battery,blown bulb,windscreen washer,all remained on,this has never happened before.I checked all items i was warned about and all were ok.Has this happened to you,what do i do before i get stiched up from lexus liverpool.Thanks KELL

Cheers mudzs,It looks like the problem is the alternator....Has anyone replaced an alternator yet?????is it easy?? what has to be stripped out before i can get at it??I can do a cortina with my eyes closed but ive had a quick look at this one and it looks a bit of a plumbers nightmare.HELP HELP HELP...Kell p.s I plan to tackle it tomorrow so any advice soon would be great!!

I don't know if i'm gonna be of much help, but i think this happened on my dads old car, where all the warning lights remained lit, and if memory serves me correctly it was when his Battery was going flat, might be worth checking the Battery voltage, i'm unsure if disconnecting the Battery to reset everything would help, so wait for further responses before doing that :unsure:

Edit, just as i was writing my post aswell, :lol: , least i was kinda on the mark, just to add i don't think it was my dads alternator that had gone, just the Battery was no longer storing/holding charge

Thanks Tron,This morning the car started ok the warning lights just stayed on.I went to work OK...time to go home the engine started ok but no lights,radio,winows struggled to go down.Once home i turned the engine off and tried to re-start...it just clicked rapidly.lokks like ive drained the battery<which is a toyota/lexus one 18mnths old>.

from what i can remember it is quite straight forward ,just undo top bolt and loosen bottom ones and alternator should swivel to allow you to take of belt then take out the ones at bottom completly .undo the two connectors first ,i think one has a bolt connector and the other is a plug .dont forget to disconnect Battery before you start,good luck .how much for a new alternator out of curiousity

just to add to this two weeks ago i started my car drove 30 miles then stopped for petrol ,when i tried to restart it was dead ,this turned out to be the Battery not the alternator and i had no lights on the dash at all beforehand ,so me thinks you are right in thinking alternator.Good price :)

are you sure you are looking at the alternator and not the air-con unit .sorry if that sounds a bit silly but the alternator is on the left as you look at the engine bay just under the distribitor and has quite a bit of room around it

Ok...this is how it goes if you want to take your alternator off your gs mk1.Take the air scoop off the air box,loosen the cowling from around the rad fan and take off the 4 nuts that hold the fan too the shaft<this i found is very important because it allows the fan to be pushed towards the front of the car and it will then give you much needed space to get your spanners too the nuts holding the alt in place especially the bottom nut and thread>the bottom nut and thread has to be undone blind..Disconnect the 2 wires.. 1 multi plug and 1 nut,the top bolt on the alt is easy the bottom one is the hard part.With the bottom one you have to first take the nut off then you have to take the thread out,you will notice the end of the thread you can see has a torx type end to it <male>use a suitable tool,i use a very small socket,then you withdraw the whole thread.The alt will not swivel its not designed to,you have to use a lever on the belt tensioner to loosen the belt off the pully on the alt,once you have done this the alt can then be removed out of the top of the bay.It took me 2hrs to sus this but it should only take half an hour.My car has done 80,000 miles with lights on day and night so you might want to take note just incase your alt goes.Kell :winky: