Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need Hekp On Turbo

keith456969

hey guys... im philippines... i have an lexus is200 here and its rare to have one here...

joined car shows and events already but im taking the next step to my car

turbo charging my car... i'm really scared of blowing up my motor because of the turbo but here in the philippines we have good fabricators and tuners that dyno tunes our cars...

my tubro plans is this...

garret t3 turbine for low boost aplication

intercooler 20x10x2

mandrell bent stainless exhaust manifold and downpipe

custom stainless 3 inch exaust pipings

hks dragger or apexi turbo muffler

sard hoses

one additional injector 440

additional fuel line

maybe blitz or sard blow off valve

hks shroom tyope filter

and most especially a greddy e manage to control eveything..

will this work for our cars? 1gfe inline 6?

i trust this guy but i need more inputs and suggestions

do i need more parts? it will be dyno tuned maybe at 6 to 8psi low boost only

how many hp will it give? its a daily driver car i mean i use it like 5 hours a day so i dont want any trouble or some sort..

will it run good with the e manage? ill tell the tuner to tune it at a low boost but of course i want to maximize our engine

heres some pics of my car: http://community.webshots.com/album/196329821ngAoJO

need inputs please... this is a big step for me.. want a super jdm drifter car.. will put craft square or ganador mirros too...

thanks a lot :) :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take care that the turbo isn't too big and everything will work if it fits.

You should get somebody who adjusts the software on a dyno run or try to get elevtronic piggy back systems to adjust it yourself.

I'd prefer both.... I'd adjust it with piggy backs on a dyno.

Then you know better what is to do. :winky:

Get an external wastegate and a boostcontroller, it works much better than a BC on internal WG.

Hope you can get an injector controller for the additional injector.

I wouldn't get over 0.7bar on stock internals, well it won't play a roll at quick launchs, but you shouldn't go on a racetrack with it.

Additional fuel line??

For what??

Get bigger injectors or pump/fuel pressure regulator, that shoudl solve the problem without the injector.

For 0.6-0.7bar it should put out ~260HP @ crank I guess.

But get warned of the huge torque the turbo produces.

I can't launch with full throttle as before on wet streets without doing donuts out of a turn.

Greets,

RR

would love to help on this post but mine was brought with the turbo work already fitted the last owner done all the hard work

but believe me i am having all the pleasure from it. its very expensive but the results are alot of fun

i have read alot of (roadrash) posts this guy knows what he is talking about plus all my work was done at

http://www.tdi-plc.com/index.html

plus do a search on turbos in the furoms alot of interesting stuff

check out my garage to see some of the work that was done

goodluck mate

@ keith456969

Could you give us better questions what you want to know?

Turbo Tuning is a huge topic, nobody could tell you everything here in one post.

You need to have specific question man.

;)

this is my problem dudes, im really scare of blowing up my engine...

theres jst like 10 lexus is200 here and the parts are not available for tuning...

im active at crshows and events here and i want to be the first is200 here that is turboed.

1st ques... is the parts alright already? t3 is good according to the custom turbo fabricator because it gives me a low spool like around 25000 to 3k rpm.. i need more low end torque because i find our is200 has a good high and mid power... is the garret t3 turbine good enought for me? and im also getting a smaller intercooler maybe just 20x10x2 so that it will spool much earlier and the blowoff will be louder right

2nd question, he will make a fuel line and add additional 440cc injector to my car... is this better or i will just change the wstock injectors with a bigger one?

3rd question will emanege work for our car? i mean this really a good piggy back which controls almost everything better than power fc according to tuners here.. are they right and is it compatible to our cars?

4th ques.. we have a good tuner here that will tune the emange so im not worried at all of going rich or leaning out becuase we have a dyno machine here and they will tune it as a dailty driver car more on the rich side and low boost only around 6 to 8 maybe?

5th question do i need a atf cooler and oil cooler or ill not buy it anymore?

sdpent so many money on my car already dont want spending more to it...

6th question. will the tranny hold up at low boost? do you have dyno charts or something like that or some movies that will inspire me how much gains will my car recieve after boosting it? according to my computation our is200 is around 108at wheels were looking at 190 to 200 at thw wheels after this will it reach that?

7th question.. i have defi guages... i have exaust temp to lookout for my I have Defi gauges exaust temp so that ill know if ever ill lean out, oil pressure and temp if the car is if the car is running right… The good thing about defi meter they have beeping sounds para ill set it at a safe number just to have a sfe side

I will also buy the defi boost guage and defi water meter… the boost gauge for the boost maybe maintain it at 6 then if ever there will be a vacum leak or damage ill know when im having a higher boost .. water temp for the water... just need to hvae a reading so that ill know if its overheating when im boosting is it all worth it"?

8th question, is there anyone here that blew up a is200 motor already bec of turbo? wrong tune or what? just want to know at a low boost... im really scared its a big step for me...

last question, what blow off valve will i buy that will really sound awsome and really lound? sard? blitz? apex-i? or hks? i want a jap brand product

hope you can adress each of my problems soon...

thanks really need help on this guys :)

this is my problem dudes, im really scare of blowing up my engine...

theres jst like 10 lexus is200 here and the parts are not available for tuning...

im active at crshows and events here and i want to be the first is200 here that is turboed.

1st ques... is the parts alright already? t3 is good according to the custom turbo fabricator because it gives me a low spool like around 25000 to 3k rpm.. i need more low end torque because i find our is200 has a good high and mid power... is the garret t3 turbine good enought for me? and im also getting a smaller intercooler maybe just 20x10x2 so that it will spool much earlier and the blowoff will be louder right

-Choose something between a GT22 and a GT28 Turbo. They support from 280HP up to 350HP. And ballbearing should be a MUST in my opinion. GT series are a bit newer and better than the ordinary T series. but a T3 is in the same ligue as those GT.

2nd question, he will make a fuel line and add additional 440cc injector to my car... is this better or i will just change the wstock injectors with a bigger one?

-In my opinion the best solution is to find 6 bigger injectors which would fit and adjust the fuel with an Apexi S-AFC, HKS ?something?, Greddy e-manage etc.

3rd question will emanege work for our car? i mean this really a good piggy back which controls almost everything better than power fc according to tuners here.. are they right and is it compatible to our cars?

-For only adjusting the AF ratio you can take everything.

Some products support more functions, some less functions....

4th ques.. we have a good tuner here that will tune the emange so im not worried at all of going rich or leaning out becuase we have a dyno machine here and they will tune it as a dailty driver car more on the rich side and low boost only around 6 to 8 maybe?

-Get an O2 controller (gauge type) and you can see it always, if you're running rich or lean.

5th question do i need a atf cooler and oil cooler or ill not buy it anymore?

sdpent so many money on my car already dont want spending more to it...

-No... not for the 250-300HP area... you wont need it.

It's not wrong to have it, but you don't need.

6th question. will the tranny hold up at low boost? do you have dyno charts or something like that or some movies that will inspire me how much gains will my car recieve after boosting it? according to my computation our is200 is around 108at wheels were looking at 190 to 200 at thw wheels after this will it reach that?

-Yes it will hold.

The weakest thing what you should change is the clutch. It's really weak.

You could kill it also on N/A after a while.

7th question.. i have defi guages... i have exaust temp to lookout for my I have Defi gauges exaust temp so that ill know if ever ill lean out, oil pressure and temp if the car is  if the car is running right… The good thing about defi meter they have beeping sounds para ill set it at a safe number just to have a sfe side

I will also buy the defi boost guage and defi water meter… the boost gauge for the boost maybe maintain it at 6 then if ever there will be a vacum leak or damage ill know when im having a higher boost .. water temp for the water... just need to hvae a reading so that ill know if its overheating when im boosting is it all worth it"?

-Don't waste the money on water temp. gauges or such... get an O2 gauge and read the Lambda... much more useful and makes sense.

8th question, is there anyone here that blew up a is200 motor already bec of turbo? wrong tune or what? just want to know at a low boost... im really scared its a big step for me...

-No, if you are trying to hit the 250--300HP area, ordinary nothing should happen.

But I think we have to warn you of the automatic tranny. It's really weak and can be blown by a turbo.

The 6-speed is robust and can handle easily far over the 300HP mark (except the clutch).

last question, what blow off valve will i buy that will really sound awsome and really lound? sard? blitz? apex-i? or hks? i want a jap brand product

-I have the BLITZ DD BOV and it sounds quite awsome.

I also heard that the HKS and the TurboXS BOV should make a really good "TSSSHHHT!" sound.

Try something.

hope you can adress each of my problems soon...

thanks really need help on this guys :)

(Answers between your questions. ;) )

can only answer one question i have the hks blow off valve

awesome

but (roadrash) RR realy knows his stuff

Thanks mate :winky: :blush:

Oh I forgot something:

For fuelling..... get an adjustable fuel cut defender. The best fuel system won't help you if the ECU blocks or cuts off the fuel over 0.3bar.

Ordinary the stock fuel system should be good enough for ~250HP.

I'm running the S-AFC at +30% at 5000rpm high throttle opening and the O2 gauge shows a Lambda of 12.5:1 or something.... rich enough.

The only surrent problem is, that my shi**y map unit cuts the fuel at 0.5bar.

My wastegate iron is bent a bit and it opens the WG a bit too late so I get overboost for a short moment (~0.7-0.8bar) and the MU cuts the fuel over 0.5.

When it gets back it's rich enough again.

That says to me that the stock fuel system should be good enough for the first time.

Of course once a time if you want to raise boost, you will have to upgrade it.

;)

Oh an.... the most sold Turbos are in the 300HP area. Small lag and straight torque line.

A high-end-power Turbo won't make you happy, when the turbo kicks in only over 4500rpm.... that doesn't make fun.

Also mine is big enough.

Now it's cold, the grip is bad.... I could do burnouts all the time while driving in 2nd gear.

Like Indiana Jones said: "Choose wisely!" :winky:

I can only say in metric system.

Piping shouldn't be much larger than 5cm, otherwise you would have serious fitting-problems, elbows, knies and bows are much thicker and take more space.

And at all you would never been able to boost the IS200 up that much you would need such thick piping as like in a Supra or such.

Also the IC shouldn't be too large.... or a great turbo lag will destroy drive-fun. :o

Mine is about 50 x 30 x 5 cm and I also have a lag until 3000-4000 until the turbo spools up.

Don't oversize those things on the IS200, it's not a 2JZ monster.

Everything which is big, is expensive and useless for the IS200. ;)

A serious solution for the fuel problem would be nice.

I don't know anybody with a IS200 who didn't have this problem.

marcus and you will also have to play around with that sh*t. :duh:

Would be interesting if TDI could get some info in topic "larger fuel injectors".

In addition with an S-AFC / E-01 or something, it would be the best solution.

cool thanks guys

just wondering road rash... whats your whp?

and with turboed is200 whats the average whp or hp of the car after being turboed? with a low boost setting...?

A guy in Australia bought that turbo kit and made a custom fuel-system.

His IS200 put 235RWHP on the ground with 0.5bar.

Don't know mine.... I have a fuel problem at higher boost, I have to solve it soon.

Of course it pulls not that bad, I guess 180-200RWHP should be possible right now.

If I can get a solution for more fuel I could get it easily up to 300HP after raising boost with the boostcontroller. It works fine now.

But this isn't very good on stock internals. I'd stay at 0.5bar and get between 220 and 250RWHP.... that is quite fine.

At all with a light flywheel and better clutch you can play with Audi S4 or such. :D

But as I already said.... I have to solve my problem at first, then I will do a dyno run once.

thats good to hear.... just want it around .5 to .7 boost

just aiming around 180-200whp is enough for me...

i have an automatic tranny and i'm scared it will not hold if i go higher than 250...

it will really depend on the tuner... maybe after finishing eveything i will give a report and full details on it :)

thats good to hear.... just want it around .5 to .7 boost

just aiming around 180-200whp is enough for me...

i have an automatic tranny and i'm scared it will not hold if i go higher than 250...

it will really depend on the tuner... maybe after finishing eveything i will give a report and full details on it :)

:o :nuke::excl:

I only can warn you of turbo charging an AT IS200.

TRD328 blew it up with his IS200 turbo.

The AT in the IS200 is weak as sh*t..... really.... many people already had problems with that cr*p auto tranny.

I wouldn't boost it up too much.... 0.7bar is far too much for that transmission.

The engine would hold, but the tranny is bad.

No not his turbo.... he blew up his automatic transmission, because that thing is too weak.

It can't support that much power. The 6-speed is much better.

0.5-0.7 isn't easy mate.... ordinary you shouldn't go over 0.5 on stock internals.

Man... 0.7bar is also too much.

0.5 should be far enough.

And it's also dangerous for the automatic tranny looking for longer time.

My opinion from the experience we have with hot weather/crappy fuel and crazy drivers...

#1 Engine management.

#2 Lower the compression (have seen many blown IS200's TTE's) with punny 0.4 bar...

We have a fine example of a IS200 turbo roaming the streets of Athens with a twin Turbo setup (2 daihatsu Charade turbos)and lowered compression still holding up at about 300bhp.

Intercool it, Water inject it if you can and you will be happy. I would not go A/T either.. not a strong tranny. Its ok for a TTE IS but not a turbo one..

Good luck

Maybe really caused of that sh*tty fuel there.... OK Greece has d*mn high temparatures in summer... this can also cause overheating. :crying:

I know Greek fuel.... not that quality like our's. ;)

Maybe those cars haven't been tuned that good?!?

If you don't boost it up too much.... the car can hold easily 0.5bar.

But of course you shouldn't get on a racetrack with it. ;)

ahhhhh the old blowing up the tranny memories :D

that's the good old days  :driving:

I wonder who's got my turbo now... the guy that bought mine is putting in a 2jzgte and sold the turbo off to a guy i dont know.

Haha... yeah the whole world knows your story.

But you are a Legend, you have been the first who realized it to turbo charge an IS200. :winky: :whistling:

But I think you are also the first who blew up his tranny...... :ph34r:

:crybaby:

im not actually the first. In australia there was this guy in sydney.. somehow related to Toyota or Lexus that did a turbo IS200. It was a white one with 6spd.

size of fuel pump... if ur gonna keep the boost low, i'd say leave out the fuel pump..

I hated the fuel pump.. noisy piece of *****. Spent so much trying to quieten down the bugger.