Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Master Cylinder Is Leaking

rocky v 300

HI ALL,

THE MASTER CYLINDER IS LEAKING ON MY 98 ARISTO VERTEX, SOUNDS LIKE STEAM COMING OUT OF IT.AND ALL THE VSC/ABS/TRACS/ LIGHTS ARE SHOWING ALONG WITH A DEAFENING SOUND///

CALLED LEXUS LEICESTER,COVENTRY, BIRMINHAM ETC. BASICALLY ALL MIDLANDS, AND ALL ARE QUOTING OVER £2000 PLUS VAT PLUS FITTING JUST FOR THE CYLINDER!!!!!!

IVE BOUGHT THE REPAIR KIT FOR IT BUT NO ONE WILL TOUCH IT!

HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE OR DO YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO WOULD REPAIR IT PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW COS ID RATHER SPEND 2000 ON ON TUNING THE ENGINE THAN A LITTLE MASTER CYLINDER!!!!!

I KNOW ITS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH WHEN IT COMES TO BRAKES BUT COME ON,,,,,,

APPRECIATE ANY HELP

CHEERS

It may be worth while sending Alex - AKA - jdmparts_guru, he knows a fair bit about the Aristo Parts and also able to locate them as well - all from HG.

Never heard of a master cyclinder going before but I know of a garage in Aylesbury that would be able to do the work for you but it's a long way for a car motor with no brakes.

BR

Paul

Friendly note - remove the "CAPS"

Ooohhh,

Bit calmer now was fuming earlier!!!

Is the garage in Alyesbury Lexus or is it private?

Trouble is that im finding it hard finding a garage which would actually repair the *** dam thing.

Do you know if it is the same master cylinder as a UK spec GS300 or is it a special part for a very special car?

I know its a long shot but anyone breaking a 98 upwards aristo?............thought so:(

The garage in Aylesbury is a private garage that are specalists in Imports. Alex would be able to explain if the cylinders are the same or not, also Colin - AKA - Knowledge Base Master would also be able to help. Send Alex a PM

BR

Paul

I think the cylinders are the same on the Aristo and GS but maybe the twin turbo one is different. I've known of a few series II vehicles with faulty master cylinders but never leaking.

What is it leaking, fluid or air?

Im not too sure but I suspect it is fluid leaking as I have to refill it every two weeks and the brake pedal has little resistance when pressing it..

Paul,

How do I contact alex and what is a PM?

Sorry mate dont mean to sound dumb but Iam new to the club, still learning!!!!!!

An interesting thing also is when I rang Toyota they refered to it as a brake booster........Is that the same as a master cylinder?

LOL - A PM is a private message, if you use the search feature for member, top of the page Righ Hand Side and then use the Search and Filter Options at the bottom of the member list, put JDM in and Alex is the JDMGuru.

There is a booster cylinder on these, you'll notice that when you start the car and put your foot on the brake for the first, you'll here the booster charging ( It's like a whirring noise ) but I don't know where this is located, I know it's on the drivers side at the back by the bulk head.

yes exactly that, went to the local Toyota garage and the technician refered to it as the MODULATOR(or pump to you and me).

Only thing is that along with the slight whirring noise there is a much louder sound (irrating) which as I explained earlier makes the steam releasing sort of sound.

Technician advised the sound is perfectly normal!!!! But it has never happened before last week?

Iam really frustrated at all the different diagnoses mechanics keep on giving me. One mechanic advised me the actual master cylinder is leaking, but the toyota guy said fluid is leaking out of the cap because it is over filled,,,,

So I turned the car off, pumped the brake until it went rock hard, and the soaked the fluid with a rag until it was at the max limit....started the car and guess what NO CHANGE!!!!

Booked it in with lexus leiceter on friday for a "Visual saftey check" so see how that goes.

You should only get the whirring sound nothing else. After 30 seconds or so it should switch off as it has built up pressure. If it doesn't build up pressure you will get the warning lights and buzzer.

Maybe your pump is working but the pressure sensor isn't and it keeps building up the pressure causing the leaks?

• 2 months later...
HI ALL,

THE MASTER CYLINDER IS LEAKING ON MY 98 ARISTO VERTEX, SOUNDS LIKE STEAM COMING OUT OF IT.AND ALL THE VSC/ABS/TRACS/ LIGHTS ARE SHOWING ALONG WITH A DEAFENING SOUND///

CALLED LEXUS LEICESTER,COVENTRY, BIRMINHAM ETC. BASICALLY ALL MIDLANDS, AND ALL ARE QUOTING OVER £2000 PLUS VAT PLUS FITTING JUST FOR THE CYLINDER!!!!!!

IVE BOUGHT THE REPAIR KIT FOR IT BUT NO ONE WILL TOUCH IT!

HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE OR DO YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO WOULD REPAIR IT  PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW COS ID RATHER SPEND 2000 ON ON TUNING THE ENGINE THAN A LITTLE MASTER CYLINDER!!!!!

I KNOW ITS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH WHEN IT COMES TO BRAKES BUT COME ON,,,,,,

APPRECIATE ANY HELP

CHEERS

Rocky - what was the outcome with your Aristo brake problems?

Yesterday I was with a buddy driving his Aristo when suddenly the same thing happened to us as happened to you. Dashboard warning lights flashing, shrill warning buzzers going off, squeaking from under the bonnet.. We stopped at nearest Lexus dealer -Kings Southampton - to be told that the brake actuator needed replacing....£1850 +labour + VAT !! It was still drivable because it only seems to affect the ABS, VSC and servo. It seemed a long way back to Leicester with that noise sheaking away!! Did you have to go to dealer to fix it in the end or did you find a better source for the parts? Did you find second hand parts for it from salvage.

Hope you can help and share your knowledge; cheers, Bugsy.

Rocky - what was the outcome with your Aristo brake problems?

Yesterday I was with a buddy driving his Aristo when suddenly the same thing happened to us as happened to you.  Dashboard warning lights flashing, shrill warning buzzers going off, squeaking from under the bonnet.. We stopped at nearest Lexus dealer -Kings  Southampton - to be told that the brake actuator needed replacing....£1850 +labour + VAT !!  It was still drivable because it only seems to affect the ABS, VSC and servo. It seemed a long way back to Leicester with that noise sheaking away!!  Did you have to go to dealer to fix it in the end or did you find a better source for the parts? Did you find second hand parts for it from salvage.

Hope you can help and share your knowledge; cheers, Bugsy.

hi,

got mine sorted a few weeks ago.

bought a whole new master cylinder and pump for £1100 + vat fully assembled

bought from U Save Auto

Tel:08456589777

speak to jason or adrian

It is most definetly a fault with the electrics, maybe the circuit board, or the brake oil pressure sensor which is about £300

the reason why im so sure is that i spent £500 getting the master cylinder and abs pump reconditioned and it was still happening!!!!!

Dont try and cut corners as youll end up spending alot more than you should "trust me I know"

Good Luck

Rocky

• 18 years later...