Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help With Fitting A New Headunit In My Is200

legion329

Hi there,

I have just bought myself an IS200 SE (at long last!) and i love it! I want to get to work straight away on a few upgrades and the first thing was installing tv headrests and a tv flip out screen front headunit. I was just wondering if somebody could explain how to remove the lexus headunit and install an after market single din headunit. Do i need a face plate etc?If so where can i get one and how much are they? Any help is apreciated thanks.

Yes you will need a face plate, you can speak to Alex (jdmparts_guru) and he can ship you an OEM one from HK... or order one from your dealer, but this takes a while. Chris Shipley might be able to get one quicker, I have a part number at home if you need one. There is an OEM on on eBay at the moment actually ;) Only draw back is that you will have to relocate your heated seat buttons, or so some chopping, as there is a little pocket where they sit on the new part. You will also have to run your own speaker wires and run speakers directly off the head unit or via an amp, as there is not currently a harness to connect an aftermarket headunit to the OEM amp. You can't really use the existing rear speakers if you are not using the OEM amp, due to the unusual setup, as the woofer is 2 ohms, and the tweeter is 4 ohms, and the crossover is built into the amp. Hope this helps... if you want more info, just ask... there are a few of us here who can help out... welcome to the club :)

Hi Welcome to the club,

you can actually order the Faace Plate from Halfords, part number in my garage. Took 1 day to arrive. but be carefull My headunit didnt fit perfectly, it acutally sits a little inside the plate (not very noticable tho)... but no heating buttons.

IF you have Sat Nav, contact 'FARGO' first.

Like Damian has said there is no wiring adaptors available, so you have to cut into the existing loom and trace wires... it IS POSSIBLE to use the factory speakers, I would speak to Mr-Lex has his installer managed to do this...

As Lenny said, it is possible to use rears, but youhave to be careful with the loading on your amp or headunit. Not all are 2 ohm stable, and you could overheat the amp.

The Halfords adaptor is an Autoleads one.. actually, I think I have one of those come to think of it. I didn't use the one I got, as I prefered the look of the OEM one. I will dig it out, you can have that for £20 ;)

I personally wouldn't cut into the existing loom unnecessarily, you will get better quality sound using your own speaker wire anyway.

The Autoleads one, is actually from the States, just repackaged.

Damian, Mr Lexs stereo does sound pretty phat, and I dont think that hassle of rewire STOCK speakers will give much noticable benefit. But he best way to go is change the whole lot :)

Thanks for all the info guys! So basically i need a OEM face plate and i need to be carefull with the wiring as not to blow the rear speakers. I do want to use those so i might take a chance. Im using a kenwood 800w amp to power my sub at the mo. To be honest im not exactly mr fix it when it comes to fitting and wiring things like this and would prefer it to be profesionally taken care of for me by a shop. Does anyone know of a good one that can do this task in the Essex/north london area? Thanks again for all the help.

have to disagree with you there Damie,, when i had my first install doen via oxford audio,, i just had diamond fronts and a JL sub...

i ended up going back to add some 6x9s as the sound just wasnt 'complete' enough..

Also Damien, could you let me have the details of where you got the oem motorised nav housing...ta

Maybe its down to personal taste then, don't know. If you tweak the system right, you can get a better sound stage without rear speakers, maybe its down to setup and how you EQ the system? It has of course been a great debate for many moons.. have a look on www.talkaudio.co.uk

I got my OEM housing from Alex, jdmparts_guru :) Have you seen the one on eBay? Have a look here.