Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

18" Alloys On Rx300 Series 1

carspy

Just fitted a set of the latest 18" rx300 5-spoke alloys fitted with Bridgestone 235/55 18's to a 2001 series 1. The car looks fantastic but when the steering is turned full lock to the left the inner edge of the n/s tyre just scuffs the inner chassis member and makes a rubbing sound which can be heard from inside the car. The o/s tyre is unaffected. The offset is exactly the same as the original 16" wheel (ET35) but the tyres are obviously wider than the original 215/70's. Anyone aware of any modifications to cure this? Many thanks.

I have got 18s on my RX and my tyres are 255 X 45 X 18. So my tyres are a lot wider and they don't touch anything. I would have said It must be the offset of the wheel if the inside is touching? But you say the offset is the same?? Is it the inside of the tyre or the top of the tyre? If it is the top of the tyre then you need to go to a lower profile like 50 or 45

I have got 18s on my RX and my tyres are 255 X 45 X 18.  So my tyres are a lot wider and they don't touch anything. I would have said It must be the offset of the wheel if the inside is touching? But you say the offset is the same?? Is it the inside of the tyre or the top of the tyre? If it is the top of the tyre then you need to go to a lower profile like 50 or 45

Thanks for the suggestion - out of interest what make are your 18's? Are they the same width as the RX's original 16's? I know that BMW do a steering lock limiter to cure the problem on their own cars.

Mine are TSW.  No they are wider than OEM ones.  but the profile is lower. Pics of them click on My RX pics

They look the business! - so does the rest of the car! Actually we seem to have cured the problem by playing around with the track rod end adjustment after all - no more rubbing now!