Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering Pump?

35RL

Hi

Ive a 99 Altezza RS200 auto(38k)& the steering makes a noise when you turn the steering wheel when stationery, it only happens when its really cold but stops as soon as the car warms up or driven for a while. i think its the power steering pump as i noticed in the engine bay it was leaking slightly. my garage told me it costs about £400 (power steering repair kit)to fix! & not really serious problem, & said is been like that for atleast 2 yrs! is it true! i want to get this fix so the noise goes away & obviously DON'T want it to get any worse!

any solutions to fix this & is the price of £400+ normal to sort out??

oh yeah would this be common on a uk spec is200?

thanks if anyone can help.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have the exact same problem with my altezza. The noise started when I had the turbo fitted on my car. We had to remove the power steering hose in the process. When we reconnected it and put oil in, noise started. I thought it resulted from the type of oil we had put in. I still drive it as it is, since its not getting worse and it only sounds when cold. Were you able to sort yours out?

Had the same problem with my van about three weeks ago and added some power steering fluid from slick 50 that claims to seal small leaks etc ,i took out most of the remaining fluid and added the slick 50 stuff and after about 10 miles of driving the screeching has gone and no more leaks (fingers crossed ).worth a go if only for a tempory solution .cost about £7 from Halfords

Slick 50 is Ok.............but not as good as its made out to be.

Nothing should substitute Quality oils and regular oil changes

yep totaly agree would never use it in my engine other than if i was realy stuck ,but its a renault van and springs leaks daily :P

to sum up, I need to turn all day long to see if the noise goes away. I have been driving the car like this for 4 months now, and I beleive I did some turning since then and the noise is still there. Isn't there any other way to bleed the air out.

If I am not mistake we topped it up with ATF when we lost some of the oil working on the turbo. So I have a mixture of two types of oil in the system. I will follow your suggestion and change the oil completely. Now comes the main question: What type of oil should I put in it?

• 7 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links