Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Self Locking Doors

In answer to your question, No, the RX300 does NOT have self locking doors, I miss them too, had them on my old E class Merc, the RX has a switch on the door by the electric window switches for locking all the doors but I forget to use it more often than not :angry:

I believe that the facility exists in the main wiring loom for the American market, but has been disabled for Europe. If my info is correct it should be possible for a good auto electrician with a full wiring diagram to reconnect the locking. I had this on an S Type Jag and it drove me potty.

Good luck.

There is obviously speed detecting sensors (I assume something to do with the ABS) as both the Bluetooth and GPS systems are switched "off"java script:emoticon(':angry:') - when movement is detected.

It would be a real + to get the doors locking after 10 mph- both Mercs and BMW have the facility (although it can be swiched off if you require).

Good luck with your research and please post any success.

• 1 month later...

I just did this over the weekend in my new RX330. Outlined in the owners manual.

My doors look automatically when the ignition is on and the car is moved from the park gear.

I think you can also program to lock automatically after the car reaches 12mph.

I just did this over the weekend in my new RX330.  Outlined in the owners manual.

My doors look automatically when the ignition is on and the car is moved from the park gear. 

I think you can also program to lock automatically after the car reaches 12mph.

US vehicles are different to UK ones. This option hasn't been available in the UK before, don't believe it has been added to the RX300.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add my bit to this topis, and maybe to others that have been before.

From what we understand the Navigation Unit disables certain 'uses' over a set speed.

We also know that there is a speed wire into the Nav. Unit that allows it to still navigate if it loses the signals from the GPS Satelites.

My guess is that the Nav. Unit has a 'disable' variable that is set to x mph.

So to adjust this I think someone would have to 'hack' into the software.

As for locking the doors... I would imagine it is the same software for both the US and European models, with just certain parameters changed. So if someone 'hacks' the software then we will know.

So to dampen anyones spirits.

Night-Time

(Bored in a hotel at the moment)

Two different pieces of software though. The door locking is controlled by the body ECU not the Nav. It would probably be possible to put in US software but who is going to risk trying, get it wrong and will probably cost you £1000 for a new unit.

Not too sure that I actually want auto locking doors as they can be locked via a switch manually anyway if the occupants want it.

Nobody seems to have thought about what happens in a serious car crash and the need to exit the vehicle in a hurry or the need for rescuers to get at the people inside.

Having been in a crash where the vehicle landed on its side, deep in a ditch (due to oncomming vehicle slid on ice straight into me) in my last MK1 RX300, I was only too glad to be able to escape without having to think as to why the doors didn't open.

Just also to mention that if i hadn't been in the lexus I believe I would have suffered more serious injuries than I did. Thank you Lexus for my safety.

The damage to the car was all bodywork which was repaired as good as new.

Realspeed

The need to get out of a car is probably why you cannot set auto locking on UK vehicles although I think we are getting to a stage in this country where the chances of being car jacked are now higher than the need to be able to get out of the car quickly.

I do believe that if the airbags are deployed the doors will unlock along with the engine being turned off.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links