Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200/300 Creaking Dash

Ius

I am currently experiencing an intermittent creaking noise across the dash of my IS300 that appears to only be present during cold weather. The noise is generally present around the A pillar areas and only occurs during vehicular movement that involves some torsional flexing of the front such as across uneven surfaces. I have had the dash locking pins replace under warranty but this has not solved the problem. Because it is an intermittent problem the Lexus service guys are have difficulty pinning the problem done. Has anyone experienced a similar problem with an IS200/IS300 and what was the fix?

At first is was through that the creaking noise was from the sunroof, so this has already been replaced, but the creaking noise has continued. The noise sounds like it’s a plastic on plastic contact.

Had the same problem, it was very annoying, but one day i got nervous, took the dash out, put the soft sticky material all around the dash corners, sides, top, bottom, i mean all around, but not too much, because dash will not fit together:) and it is gone. However, when my car stays all night in 15 degrees cold there is some noise, but it is normal.

What we do is to tighten up the roof mounting bolts and the squeak is gone.

The IS owners complained here in Greece that the roof squeaked when they parked on the curb... Body flex...

We have also discovered that the motor mounts, subframe mounts, tranny mounts and the bridge need tightening at the service interval for a nice and tight IS. You will be surprised how much do they loosen up. :driving:

Got the same problem with the sunroof . Always seems to be when the car flexes. Car going in for three days to try to sort it out.

At first is was through that the creaking noise was from the sunroof, so this has already been replaced, but the creaking noise has continued. The noise sounds like it’s a plastic on plastic contact.

Got the same problem with the sunroof . Always seems to be when the car flexes. Car going in for three days to try to sort it out.

Is it  where the A pillars meet the dash ?

I put some packing either side of A-pillars where they tuck down the side of the dash.

It's hard to determine exactly where, but it does sound to be in the general area of the A pillars and also around the centre point of the dash ( hence Lexus thought it was the locking pins as this is approx location of the pins). As well as replacing the locking pins they also applied what was called a suppression kit to various contact areas of teh dash (some form of foam insulation tape).

We have also discovered that the motor mounts, subframe mounts, tranny mounts and the bridge need tightening at the service interval for a nice and tight IS. You will be surprised how much do they loosen up.

Can anyone give the torque figures for this lot - and photos to show where they all are - I have a rattle on mine from underneath and want to try this out ...