Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying a used IS200, what to think about?

Erik

Hi guys,

I just became a member here cause I think I'm going to buy a used IS200 after testdriving it, I just got some questions you might wanna help me with.

- Are there any special things to watch out for when buyuing a used one?

- The engine, is it from some Toyota model?

- Is it recommended to install a turbo and how much HP will you get?

- Is it possible to chip-trim the Is200?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards

Erik Wickman

No, the engine isn't used anywhere else (mine is, just) but yes you can do just about anything you like to them - not heard of many people chipping them without supercharging first......

Check the tires, especially the inside edges at the front, and watch out for stone chips, but other than that I can't think of anything... I'm sure there are a few who could.

the car can be chipped...........

the car could be turbo charged..........

the engine is used in a more basic form in the old toyota crowns from the 60/70's

which model and year of second hand car are you looking at.......and which colour?

mat

I opted to buy a Lexus approved Used one, you get so much backup that it takes all the worry out of buying second hand. There is a slight premium but I only found it to be about £600'ish, the 12 month warranty would cost nearly £500 on it's own.....

It's definately worth taking a look at what your dealers have in.

I agree with trevorx, particularly if you are buying one that is 3yrs old or the warranty is about to end.

Just make sure the dealer has dealt with any paint chips.

Also on the Service History check to see if shocks, brake discs, and alloy wheels have been changed if it is a 99, 2000 model.

I am thinking of buying a -99 or -2000, are there any difference between them? I have read alot about cd-changer problems, are they solved?

How much does chipping the engine do to performance? Supercharge is quite expensive, but how much performance will i get?

So I should just look for the chips in the paint and check tyres and breakes...

Sound like a quite good car!

Thanks for quick replies guys!

Mine's a Jan 2000 and I've never had any problems with the Shocks or CD Player. The rear disks were replaced under warranty though (they had corroded).

Check for stone chips, and the suspension/steering for any knocking noises, also for any interior trim rattles - there shouldn't be any!

Hi na d bonjour Erik

Yes, check CD player, they replaced mine under garanty on my last IS200, don't expect to use non original CD's (the CD Player doesn't like it at all) check tyres too, a good way to know how the driver was, check rock impacts on front, with a 2000, try to get one with GPS, very usefull.

It's a really good car, especially the one with 6 manual gears, a confortable car under 4000rpm, and a funny one to drive upper to 4000-4500rpm, wih manual you're able to reach the limiter on 6th gear, around 220-225 km/h speedo reading.

Best regards

Vince

Well, I had a quite anger with my dealer, because CD-changer was brocken already, as I got my IS200 '99 (bought Oct2002). THey replaced it once and a month ago it happened once again. All you see there is Error message "ERROR 3" and that'S it. I'm afraid that could happen , after ´the warranty time is over.:?::mad:

Stone clips is also a point for me.

yep ERROR 3, all stucked inside, and only replacement way…

very cool when you go to Spain for 2500kms without music.

One thing to try is give a knock on the right side of the dashboard, at the level of the CD charger, it worked once on mine.

They replaced it, by another one similar, sending the broken one to Belgium, I received my CD's a month later. Maybe that's why they changed the whole unit on the 2001 model.

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to me once, it didn't like a brand new CD that I bought! :flaming:

Swallowed it whole and then wouldn't eject. :rolleyes: In fact it doesn't even recognise that it is in there.

Eventually, I worked out the timings, etc of what it was going when changing discs, then I put in another CD to that slot, and then ejected them both, one after another, from apparently the same slot. So, no need to go to dealer.

I play CD-Rs fine, although the pick-up is a bit weaker than on my computer, normal cd players, but the one that got jammed wasn't a CD-R