Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

Just picked up a Lexus GS300 for a pretty good price. It's been to the moon and back but drives remarkably well for a car of this mileage.

Couple of questions, advice would be appreciated

1. Whats the correct tyre pressure? It has 32 all round at the moment.

2. There's a steering wheel wobble at around 60mph-80mph, gone by about 80mph. After making sure the air pressures were fine (22psi on one side!!!) it's a bit better, but could be better. I'm going to have them rebalanced on my way home from work tonight.

3. It's a little bit sluggish (or seems it anyway) when pulling away when not in PWR mode. Normal?

4. Brake pedal lacks feel, seems overly 'hard'

Thanks for any info you can give

Alex

Plenty of miles that's what we like to see, how many BTW? 200k?

Might be worth checking the condition of the brake fluid as regards hard peddle, but the acceleration is a questionable issue as it sounds probably normal to me.

If your used to say a 2.0 4 cylinder car the initial pickup will be better than on a larger car with more cylinders but then after a couple of seconds the torque of the bigger engine will over take it, so it might not be anything to worry about.

Hi

Just picked up a Lexus GS300 for a pretty good price. It's been to the moon and back but drives remarkably well for a car of this mileage.

Couple of questions, advice would be appreciated

Hi Alex - welcome to LOC ;)

1. Whats the correct tyre pressure? It has 32 all round at the moment.

depends on the size of the wheels ;)

we have the correct pressures in our knowledge base Lexus GS300 Tyre Pressures - look you wheel size up in there.

2. There's a steering wheel wobble at around 60mph-80mph, gone by about 80mph. After making sure the air pressures were fine (22psi on one side!!!) it's a bit better, but could be better. I'm going to have them rebalanced on my way home from work tonight.

hopefully this is the problem, easy and cheap to resolve :)

3. It's a little bit sluggish (or seems it anyway) when pulling away when not in PWR mode. Normal?

try resetting the ECU, let the car adapt to your style of driving ;)

Resetting the Lexus GS300 ECU

Thanks for the welcome

196900 miles although you wouldn't think it when driving along.

Balancing the fronts today definitely helped a lot when the vibration, it's bearable now. It's running mismatched tyres on the front so maybe that could be causing whats left of the shimmy.

It's on standard OEM 16inch wheels which are in fairly dire condition - from what I can work out, 32 seems about right. Think they've been kept in the previous owners garage for years as he took off some brand new wheels before selling the car.

Maybe if a set of the Sport 18s come up on eBay.......

I'm getting used to the power delivery of a six cylinder engine, really don't think anything is wrong with it in the slightest - it's just different what I'm used to.

Will get some pics up soon!

Well it's been almost a week and 700 miles. Still very pleased with it - but have two more questions.

1. When warming up, the temperature gauge goes 1-1.5mm higher than the 'middle' line for about 10-15 minutes. After a while it goes back down to the middle which I assume is the normal temperature. Do they all do this or should I have the cooling system checked? I'm guessing I have a thermostat that is slow to open. It's not using any coolant at all and it's the proper ribena-red stuff in there.

2. Sometimes there are a number of flat spots when accelerating - around 3000rpm to the point where acceleration can be slightly jerky.

New plugs and leads needed?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi welcome, glad your happy with your GS, is the mileage correct - WOW, it is possible that the thermostat may need replacing, also the flat spots would be due to weak sparks whether this is due to the plugs or leads, may be worth while removing the plugs and checking the condition of the plugs as well as the leads.

Hope this helps

BR

Paul

Hi welcome, glad your happy with your GS, is the mileage correct - WOW, it is possible that the thermostat may need replacing, also the flat spots would be due to weak sparks whether this is due to the plugs or leads, may be worth while removing the plugs and checking the condition of the plugs as well as the leads.

Hope this helps

BR

Paul

Thanks for the info. Yeah it probably just needs a good service.

Mileage is 197600 now, I've never seen an odometer display so many numbers :)

Cheers

Alex

For a motor of that mileage, the front is in good condition. Also looks a bit cold up there as well.

Cheers, I was amazed at the quality of the paint when I went to see it. For the mileage, I expect the front has been resprayed... but there is no sign of any overspray/mismatch/orange peel at all. Was expecting it to be a bit of a minger.

Only slight flaw is tiny bubble starting above one of the rear arches. Suppose your JDM car won't have any of that for a while ;)

I'll get some better pics up soon

looks nice ,never seen one in white on the road so would think pretty rare was it an import at some time ,Is that snow in newcastle i see  :shutit:

Sure it's a UK car not an Aristo. It's a pearlesent white, I'd not seen this colour before either.

I've seen some white ones in a sort of two tone - these were imports.

Thats the colour I always fancied.

Might look into re aquainting with a Lex in the new year.

Well if the mileage doesn't put you off you can make me an offer for mine!

I adore the car but the boot is just too small (and awkward to load) for the little one's pushchair and other 'baby stuff' :(