Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flywheel Bhp

i would like to know how everyone has got the flywheel figures :o

as this is an almost impossible figure to accurately measure, without taking the engine out

i would suggest most figures are guessed !

so i guess mine is about 500bhp then :P

dynos will just estimate the flywheel figure based on the power at the wheels minus the estimated drivetrain loss. More accurate for manual transmission than autos.

Also there is no guarantee that the dyno is actually calibrated to give correct at the wheel power in the first place.

dynos will just estimate the flywheel figure based on the power at the wheels minus the estimated drivetrain loss. More accurate for manual transmission than autos.

Also there is no guarantee that the dyno is actually calibrated to give correct at the wheel power in the first place.

how do they "estimate" the losses , surely must differ on each vehicle, and being front or rear wheel drive must make a difference :huh:

i was told that even tyre pressure will make a difference, and after a few runs the pressure changes due to the heat building up in them , obviously not on hub mounted dynos though

No precats Gord

well as the others say, depends on temp and all that, but i would think the top end chris, why dont you come with me when i have mine done again ? i think that most of the s/c will be pushing 210+bhp with the mods that you and i have, duncan got 220bhp, i got 214bhp not the same place or same day dont know the temp when duncan had his done, but it wasnt that cold when i had mine done, and i still have the cats in mine for the min. next mod i think :ph34r: :D

Didn't think a dyno put any more stress on the engine than normal road use?

The main risk is from overheating isn't it? A couple of fans bowing on the front of the car don't always push as much air though as you'd be getting in reality at 180 km/h, so the engine can bake really quickly...