Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pc Experts...come On Down!

Lexxy_703

:blush: ok, i can manage wizzing around the net & ordering a few goodies online, & i can just about figure out how to alter a few basic settings on my PC, but i'm afraid that's about my lot...

i'm wanting to upgrade to broadband but the couple of providers i've looked at all seem to want a minimum system requirement of Windows 98 SE - & i've only got win98... (plusnet did offer to sell me a 'router' to solve this problem but it costs an extra £58.75).

so would it be relatively straight fwd to upgrade to SE or 2000 etc, or is there another way around this? we only really use the PC for my surfing time & our small business accounts (just basic purchases/sales details & invoicing).

any help would be greatly appreciated guys :D

If you don't want to pay anything, you can upgrade to second edition free.

Windows update now installs it, but on some oem systems it won't. If it doesn't, you can ring Microsoft Connection on 0345-002000 with your Certificate No. and they will send you a disk. It's straight forward, just follow the install from the disk.

Ideally, I would go for 2000 or higher if your machine can take it, but it would cost you more than the router would.

my own view would be not to upgrade to 98SE but if you can go to XP. I only upgraded this year to XP 12 months after using it in work and truthfully in my 18 months of using I have had 1 crash, when I used 98 and ME all I got was crashes.

You can if buying your router online from someone like Aria or Dabs or Ebuyer you can get an OEM version of XP\ 2000 which should be fine.

A linksys router (a big IT company - they are Cisco systems ) should cost around £30 + postage or you can pick up a cheap brand router + adsl modem combind for a similar price.

To buy a copy XP (should cost around £50 + vat for legit home version) you would have to buy a new mouse or keyboard. However you can just go to a computer fair and buy a copy there.

Win 2000 pro will cost around £90 and again you would have to buy a mouse or keyboard.

Hope this helps

Why would you need a new mouse and keyboard if you upgrade to win xp?

they say you need at least win98 second edition mainly because of the USB support required for their modems, if any of the ISP's have ethernet modems such as NTL do in my area then as long as you have a Network port on your PC you shouldnt need to upgrade your version of windows.

if your PC is quite old then upgrading it to winxp will be such a slow and unresponsive experience that you will wish you stayed with a dial up internet account :(

Don't mean to offend Mr Saint, but I completely agree with Brettster on this one.

Using XP on an older machine could cause so much frustration it's not worth it. Plus, I get the impression Lexxy doesn't want to pay for anything extra if it's not required.

As it's free, I'd start with the SE upgrade and take it from there if it's needed. As Brett says - if it's cable, you could use the network side and it will probably work ok. The USB support in 98 was mapped per device, not per port so caused problems with lots of equipment.

I'm wondering about the keyboard and mouse too? Why?

Another vote for 98SE here, very stable, and you'll get the most of your existing equipment performance wise. XP runs like a dog unless it has 512mb RAM or more, with notable performance improvements the more ram you throw at it. (running a gig myself :) )

New mouse & keyboard... I am intrigued, please explain Mr Saint

As for your broadband issue, as mentioned by the gents above, you're best bet is to get a router and connect your PC via ethernet. You get the benefit of the router being permanantly connected to the net (leave it switched on), so no 'dialing up' with the modem. You could get one with a built in firewall for extra protection, and most offer local IP addressing which adds an extra layer of protection as you hide behind NAT. Can explain if you like, but you'll get bored... its a good thing :) Will also make it very easy to share your internet connection with other PCs in the future

thanks for all the help guys - as geoffers correctly picked up on, i don't really want to spend anymore than i have to ;) , so i think i'll just go for 98 SE upgrade at the moment - for what we use the pc for, anything else would be a bit excessive & i'd probably be seriously confuzzled!! :D i promise i WILL join the 21st century some time soon tho... :blush:

Is it asking for the Product Key? If so this will be on the Windows XP disc packaging or maybe on a sticky on the PC. It's five four digit codes.

cheers steve, i know what you mean but ive put them in and it still not works, but im not 100% its the right codes, but its the only ones i can find.

help, can anyone help im running xp home i had problem few weeks, and now it wants me to activate xp, the codes that i put in dont work, ive rang microsoft but thay carnt help me without the codes, can anyone help ? cheers gordon

you must make sure that the codes you have are for the same version of windows XP you have installed

so if your product key is for windows xp home, you cannot install a friends version of windows xp pro and use your product key

help, can anyone help im running xp home i had problem few weeks, and now it wants me to activate xp, the codes that i put in dont work, ive rang microsoft but thay carnt help me without the codes, can anyone help ? cheers gordon

you must make sure that the codes you have are for the same version of windows XP you have installed

so if your product key is for windows xp home, you cannot install a friends version of windows xp pro and use your product key

anyone got the codes for xp home that i can try ?

What version is it Gord?

If you do Start - Run, then type winver into the box and click OK it will bring up a little box with version info, it'll have loads of numbers then a bit regarding Service Pack verison, ie RTM, SP1, SP2 etc...

Sounds like the number you had wasn't a corporate code (these don't need activating with MS)

What version is it Gord?

If you do Start - Run, then type winver into the box and click OK it will bring up a little box with version info, it'll have loads of numbers then a bit regarding Service Pack verison, ie RTM, SP1, SP2 etc...

Sounds like the number you had wasn't a corporate code (these don't need activating with MS)

5.1 (build 2600.xpsp1.020828-1920 service pack 1)

It's hard to tell from that as that can cover both home or professional as it's an oem number. Right click on My Computer and select properties - it will tell you if it's home or Pro.

Call Microsoft again, asking for the rep's FULL name or empoyee number. This will probably cause him/her to question it and explain that you have been fobbed off by previous calls, etc. (It just goes in your favour a bit)

Contrary to popular belief, MS reps ARE authorised to give new codes out providing you have the original invoice. They will ask you to fax it over with some ID too.