Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What To Look For In A Lexus

Hello all,

I'm new to this site and hope you can give me some helpful hints.

At present I don't own a Lexus, but will be looking into buying a second hand one (IS200) in a few months time.

I am being drawn towards the SE, or the Sport (from what I have seen in the Lexus brochure).

Are there any particular things I should be looking out for when buying an IS200, ie. are there any regular problems, or faults ?

How do you all get along with your IS200's ?

Any input is appreciated.

Hello all,

I'm new to this site and hope you can give me some helpful hints.

At present I don't own a Lexus, but will be looking into buying a second hand one (IS200) in a few months time.

I am being drawn towards the SE, or the Sport (from what I have seen in the Lexus brochure).

Are there any particular things I should be looking out for when buying an IS200, ie. are there any regular problems, or faults ?

How do you all get along with your IS200's ?

Any input is appreciated.

Quick search would would give you common problems, but in general, the odd stereo err 3, problem starting engine sometimes, and key problems. Its Japanese, not much to go wrong.

when buying, avoid the S, only go 4 the SE and sport. Sat Nav is about an extra £500 on used, and it does seem to be one of the better Sat Navs out there. To hold value, look at sat Nav and styling kits.

In general, the IS is great, great looks, handling, value for money is incredible, and overall a top car.

Happy :driving:

as long as you have a warranty you and and the car will be fine!!

i had mine since 2002 september and had squeeky seatbelt and corroded alloys all changed under warranty. other than that faultless

P.S--------my car is for sale, check my signature, pm me if any questions

Yeah i got 3,but have heard of quite a few that didn't when buying 2nd hand.

;) i only got the 1 key, but then you Old guys need more than 1 key as you all ways forgeting where you put the 1st one :lol: :P :winky:

But when you young uns break your one and only key me/those with 3 are always on the road and it dont cost us £100 + for new ones... :P

Love the car mate, not had mine long. Money well invested if you ask me. One point to check out though is the wheels. Bad corroding is a major floor. Other than that read the reviews on sites like www.autoexpress.co.uk, top gear etc. Most, although Jeremy clarkson hates to admit the Lexus is a great car!!!

All is forgiven as he drives a top of the range (old mans) Merc!!

:sick:

Hey, thanks for all the info guys. That will definitely come in handy when checking out used Lex's.

Sorry Mitch but I know this sounds sad, I can't afford 15k - the other problem being that I have to sell my car as well (which I will probably end up part-exchanging).

How come there's this problem with the wheels corroding ? What are they made off to make them corrode so bad ? I'll probably change the wheels when I get the car anyway (not that I don't like the ones on them - it's just to be a touch different). I have a set of Oxigin 3's on my Veedub Bora at the moment which will have to be either sold with the car or separate - something else I'll have to think about.

Roll on about two months (hopefully) when I can be the proud owner of an IS200 (SE or Sport going by the comments above).

Thanks again. :)

• 15 years later...

Hi my name is Mat and I live in Pontypridd I currently own a Lexus is200 and nearly 3 weeks ago a nasty lady ran into the back of my beloved car, and wrote it off, but I took the car to my local mechanic who said it's not too much damage if I can find a rear slam panel he could weld it in. However i have looked and searched and can't find one, do they even make such parts. If poss could you please direct me to somewhere where I could possibly resurrect my pride and joy 

5 hours ago, Mat Griffiths said:

Hi my name is Mat and I live in Pontypridd I currently own a Lexus is200 and nearly 3 weeks ago a nasty lady ran into the back of my beloved car, and wrote it off, but I took the car to my local mechanic who said it's not too much damage if I can find a rear slam panel he could weld it in. However i have looked and searched and can't find one, do they even make such parts. If poss could you please direct me to somewhere where I could possibly resurrect my pride and joy 

I would consider starting a new thread to ask your question as this one is 16 years old so you may not get too much response.