Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Screeching Ls430

seano

Hi

I left a car wasH the other day and immediately noticed a terrible screeching noise coming from the front of the engine

Having immediately suspected a slipping fan belt I lifted the hood and checked but all looks fine, THE CAR STILL RUNS LIKE A DREAM TOO

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS AS TO WHAT ELSE COULD BE CAUSING THIS ?

i HAVE A THEORY THAT THE SPRAY ON WAX IN THIS DRIVE THROUGH *hAND* CAR WAS MIGHT BE THE CULPRIT BUT THAT IS ONLY BECAUSE i NOTICED THIS SCREECHING IMMEDIATELY AFTER LEAVING IT

Not a 'fan belt' as the fans on the LS430 are electric but yes it sounds like the drive belt.

Did it stop making the noise after a few seconds? Probably just water or the wax got on the belt.

If it was a one off then I wouldn't worry, if it does it again then you may need to have the tension adjusted.

If it makes a squeeking noise (especially in cold, damp weather) then you may want to replace the belt.

Not a 'fan belt' as the fans on the LS430 are electric but yes it sounds like the drive belt.

Did it stop making the noise after a few seconds? Probably just water or the wax got on the belt.

If it was a one off then I wouldn't worry, if it does it again then you may need to have the tension adjusted.

If it makes a squeeking noise (especially in cold, damp weather) then you may want to replace the belt.

Thanks for that

There is a belt which runs around grooved wheels at the front of the engine and directly behind the radiator which seems to be the culprit

It still screeches almost all the time EXCEPT when the weather is warm & dry, It's under warranty but I don't get much opportunity to lose the car for a day, do you think that ignoring the problem for a while could be detrimental to the engine ?

Cheers

If you spray the belt with a little water or WD40 see if the noise changes or goes away for a short time. If it does then it is the belt and nothing to worry about.

If the noise remains the same it could be one of the pulleys; water pump, AC etc. so should be looked at.

You dealer should be able to provide you with a loan car while your one is being repaired.

Thanks for that

There is a belt which runs around grooved wheels at the front of the engine and directly behind the radiator which seems to be the culprit

It still screeches almost all the time EXCEPT when the weather is warm & dry, It's under warranty but I don't get much opportunity to lose the car for a day, do you think that ignoring the problem for a while could be detrimental to the engine ?

Cheers

Phone your Lexus dealer and they'll collect your car and leave a loan car for you if you need a car all the time.

Phone your Lexus dealer and they'll collect your car and leave a loan car for you if you need a car all the time.

Thanks a lot fellas

The car is used for chauffeur word and as such is licensed as a private hire vehicle, (a loan car wouldn't be) that's the only reason I'm reluctant to lose it for a while, what with all these Christmas parties etc !

You've all been very helpful, cheers !

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

I took the car into my local Lexus dealers yesterday

It seems the problem was a worn out drive belt, not covered under warranty but only £50 for a new one

My brakes were acting up too so they investigated and discovered a warped Front disc !

I'm scratching my head wondering how such a thing could have actually warped ??

Cheers