Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Red Taillight Bulbs

not long ago my IS200 came with clear rear fog lights when i bought it(standards red ones were in boot) but trouble is that these clear fog light bulbs are bit pink & seems to got worse!

i tried looking for red bulbs but cannot seem to find any for lexus is200 application& even looked on the net on UK sites/ UK eBay etc for this type of red bulb but none! the only red bulbs you can get are one with metal bases(i assume is for european cars like fords/vauxhalls etc) which wouldnt fit on lexus is200 or lot of other japanese cars. so anyone can you buy these type of bulbs in uk? is200 owners with clear fog lights how you deal with this prob??i knew Halfords is useless as always but still went in & yes i was right, they couldnt help!

cheers anyone can help.

not long ago my IS200 came with clear rear fog lights when i bought it(standards red ones were in boot) but trouble is that these clear fog light bulbs are bit pink & seems to got worse!

i tried looking for red bulbs but cannot seem to find any for lexus is200 application& even looked on the net on UK sites/ UK ebay etc for this type of red bulb but none! the only red bulbs you can get are one with metal bases(i assume is for european cars like fords/vauxhalls etc) which wouldnt fit on lexus is200 or lot of other japanese cars. so anyone can you buy these type of bulbs in uk? is200 owners with clear fog lights how you deal with this prob??i knew halfords is useless as always but still went in & yes i was right, they couldnt help!

cheers anyone can help.

Not to state the obvious but was your local dealer no help or are these after market and fitted by a previous owner?

Try this site it's american but might be useful

http://www.installer.com/lights/

Those bulbs wouldn't fit without changing the bulb holders.

You need 7440 wedge bulbs like this: Polarg M23 Red 7440 . But this make give a pink light and the red colouring is missing towards the base of the bulb so you get white light which will fail the MOT. I know as I tried them.

that explains why lot of clear lense on fiestas / saxos got pink rear lights at night. :yack:

i sold my clear is200 fog lights on eBay , those red bulbs got more pink......& the seller i bought it from advertised it as 'bright red'(in otehr words pink) as better visiblity.

what type of paint is the one in craft / hobby shops you used javadude.

i bought some red light bulb paint from 'motor world or something & had to put it in the oven for certain time(according to their instruction) but within a few minutes it crackled so 2nd time i DIDNT put in oven fitted it back on once is dryed & STILL crackled within few minutes of switching fog light on! that when i had enough & sold the clear fog lights on eBay!

Lefranc Transparent Glass/Tile Paint - Redcurrant

I've seen this precise paint on a few web-sites but none in the uk. Bought mine from a craft shop in Maidenhead. You don't need to bake it in the oven or anything and it doesn't peel. Think mine might be starting to loose colour a bit but thats after a year so I'm going to do some new ones soon.

i found some and it says something about they wont fit on the sport corss model or something then found someothers??

will they all fit the is 200 and they come with red bulbs i take it i wont be able to use the bulbs

thanks for ya help once i know wat ones to order i will be straight on to it...

cheers

bulbs supplied are 7443s which are double filament so don't fit in the holder very easily. The low wattage filament is lit so they're not bright and they give a pink light.

LED ones are too directional, point in the wrong direction and not bright enough. I tried melting and bending one do get it to point in a better direction but it was still really feeble.

Polarg M23s are single filament ones which give a bit better red colour though still not brilliant and the bulb is clear where it joins the base so you get a bit of white light as I mentioned above.

Best red colour is a standard white bulb with two coats of redcurrant transparent glass paint. You will see the red bulb through the lense when not lit though but to a similar amount as you see the orange indicator bulbs so it looks consistent.

I got mine from scoto at www.altezzasportsandprestige.com

Excellent quailty units and well good price...Give him a shout.

When i fitted mine i managed to source some high power L.E.D replacements which work really well as the appear cleal but light brilliant red. will try and find a contact number, either that or ask scot about them he should know more...

Parz

is not those ones on the website? thats well expensive!@ £24+ hope that doesnt come as single bulb!

I got mine from scoto at www.altezzasportsandprestige.com

Excellent quailty units and well good price...Give him a shout.

When i fitted mine i managed to source some high power L.E.D replacements which work really well as the appear cleal but light brilliant red. will try and find a contact number, either that or ask scot about them he should know more...

Parz