Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Might Change From An Is To A Gs

i hadn't even considered it then! Otherwise i may well have looked at it!

Ideally i need to find someone that wants to do a swap from a GS to an IS, and they would be worth about the same! But that doesn't tend to happen very often!

Stu

Stu have you had insurance quotes mate?

That is one reason i never bothered going futher into it, and oh i didnt have a spare 9k :(

The GS is a group 16/17 i think, and the V300 is 20

I really need to think about that aswell, depending on the outcome of the accident claims etc. But not fussy about it being a V300 or anything, the 3ltr se or sport will do fine, although i would prefer leather seats (wipe clean!!) :winky:

We'll have to see!

Stu

Guest mark_tsang

what u need to be careful of in Honda's is the radiator,common prob of them heating up!that needs seeing ito. happend to my friends 1990 Accord 2.0i & 2 honda civic (uk built) other than that its very relaible in any possible way.

Honda's are just as likely to have their faults, they aren't 100% reliable. 350k in seven honda's is below 50k for each on average, surely lexus don't break within the first 50k miles? :tomato:

As i said, i'd prefer to stay with Lexus if i can, i've been impressed with the quality and reliability of the brand, and also, it's nice when people are talking about their rides, usually Vectras, Fords etc etc, and when they ask what my ride is, and i say 'Lexus IS200', their faces have this tendancy to change expression!!!

I'm not materialistic, but when all they go on about is how good their focus or astra is, and then i pipe up with lexus, that tends to make me smile inside!

Stu :driving:

Stu - I've just made this exact switch - IS 200 SE to GS430 Sport.

The GS is a much 'nicer' car, its smoother, quieter, bigger and faster - it was defintely the right move for me.

On the downside, it is thirstier - my fule light comes on @ 5:45 pm on a Sunday, regular as clockwork, after around the 225 - 250 miles. Trip computer tells me my average mpg is a shade under 17.

That said - I am doing the 'wrong sort of driving' for the car at the moment, all stop go / tickling around the shops type mileage. (and i don;t care about the fuel anyway!)

However - having just read your other thread - I doubt it would be the right move for you.

It will be more expensive to run at a time you need to curb your expenditure (babies are expensive!), and if you are worrying now about the seats with dogs and baby sick, then you will worry more with full leather seats.

Not trying to talk you out of the GS mate - just being honest. Test drive one - see what you think ;)

If you want bigger than the IS, but staying with the Lexus brand, have you considered a Sportscross? Are they in your price range?

Unfortunatley they are not, as i may well have considered one! I am thinking about the 3ltr version, which according to reviews is not hugely different to the IS200 in fuel consumption, but as you say it's how you drive them!

Will be looking to get a test drive in one soon, all i need now is a volunteer to let me drive their car!! Now where did i put that dealership card for lexus norwich?!? :P

Stu

I am thinking about the 3ltr version, which according to reviews is not hugely different to the IS200 in fuel consumption, but as you say it's how you drive them!

Stu

There is a big difference around town. I ran both two years ago, driving the GS much easier still resulted in more fuel. Ask Claire about her fuel consumpsion - she went from an IS200 to GS300.

Taking it very easy on the motorway you can get 33mpg from a GS, people have got to 40mpg in an IS.

Are you looking at adding money to the amount you get for your is200 or spending the same amount as the mk2 might be slightly out of your price range unless you go for a high mileage example ,and to be honest as nice as the mk1 is the boot is just far to small if you have a baby and pram etc to put in it .

Yeah......get GS my 0-60 was 7.9 (with tank nearly empty!)........can be a bit thirsty but sooooooo much bigger than than th IS inside....one of my beat pals got a nw IS through the company and my knees were up by my chin! :P

I find mileage wise the GS a lot thirstier, around the same sort of mileage Matt's getting for his 430 - but again, am mostly clocking up town miles.

On the insurance, believe it or not, I actually got a quote for cheaper than my IS. I did have to shop around a lot as I'd had a claim on my insurance (although non-fault) and a lot of companies wouldn't touch me as I was under 30 at the time. Quotes ranged from the £1300 odd mark to just shy of £600.

I wanted to stay with the Lexus brand and the GS proved the best option for me, but undoubtably there are more practical/cheaper cars to run. Hence why hubby has an Accord Aerodeck...!

I am thinking about the 3ltr version, which according to reviews is not hugely different to the IS200 in fuel consumption, but as you say it's how you drive them!

If it helps, I get about 2 mpg less from my 300 compared with the 200 (manual).

It does depend a great deal on how and where you drive - stop/start driving in town or heavy traffic kills the mpg with the 3l auto, but it does OK on a steady cruise.

I'm getting between 28 & 29 - mostly motorway miles and resisting the temptation to nail it too often B)

Insurance was about 8% more - quite surprised by that, thought it would be more.