Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Might Change From An Is To A Gs

Like the title says!!!

What are the main differences between the cars?

IE

Size, fuel economy, trim options, exterior colours, what to look out for, etc etc!

Cheers in advance!

Stu

Stu,

Wasn't you after a 4 x 4 ? :whistling:

I'm debating sevreal alternatives at the mo, but would like to try and stay with the Lexus brand if possible, hence my thoughts for a GS instead!

Would need to be a series 2 i guess, because i don't want to get an older car than mine, well at least no more than a couple of years older anyway!!

Stu

Stating the obvious, after having mine for five years -

The GS is a totally different drive. Softer suspension than the IS and loads of interior space. Fuel consumption is wicked around town and 30 if you are careful on the motorway. It's not a sports car but at 8.6 to 60 it does not hang about and the brakes and handling more than match up. Very smooth and quiet but not quite as much as an LS.

Mine's the SE model with sun roof, leather and satnav. The leather which they use is absolute top notch, far better than Jag or Mercedes but the non-SE model has Alcantara - an Italian man-made suede which is really nice.

Sound system, heating and aircon are all first-rate. Engine and gearbox problems would be very unusual.

Satnav models will always command a higher price but I use a portable TomTom in other cars and despite what everybody says, is every bit as good as the early Lexus CD-based system.

Don't kid yourself that GS's never go wrong. Ball joints, front bearings, central locking all fail and reckon on a set of front disks for every two sets of pads. Bearings are serious money when you include fitting and realignment after the hubs are refitted. But then if you want total reliability, you would be looking for a Honda.

Never buy a GS without all the stamps in the book. They are at bargain prices outside the Lexus network but if you are looking to buy from a dealer, negotiate the longest warranty you can.

But then if you want total reliability, you would be looking for a Honda.

A Honda you say ? - but Lexus is a japanese car anyway , like Honda ...... So I wouldn't have thought that there would be a great difference in terms of reliability !

?

I'm debating sevreal alternatives at the mo, but would like to try and stay with the Lexus brand if possible, hence my thoughts for a GS instead!

I think Matt's GS 430 - is a fine example of such a lovely car !!

I get jelous everytime I see his avator now .... he is just teasing everyone with it ! lol

Hondas are ok from new... they start to fail when old... I have had 3 of them and the hydraulic clutch went in all 3.

Apart from the Air Con was dead when i bought the car My GS has been faultless (touch wood) for the 10 months i have owned it... Only car i have ever owned which has never gone wrong.

I have the MkII Sport, and find that it has great leg room and an airy feel to the interior (mine's black leather, black wood trim). I can comfortably fit 3 adults in the back if on a night out. I can also fit two kiddy seats with space in the middle to ensure the oldest won't bash the beejeebers out of the youngest when they arrive!

On a recent long weekend away to Cornwall I fitted in the boot:

-- Travel cot

-- 2 suitcases

-- Bag full of toys

-- My full car cleaning kit (always stays in the car)

-- Coats

It all fitted snugly, whereas in the IS I would have had to have piled up the back seat as well.

I've had the car since April, it's got 70k on the clock, and have needed one new wheel bearing (suspect the other one needs replacing too) which cost £150 odd to do (not thru' Lexus though) and in the New Year plan to replace the discs and brake pads as I'm paranoid they need doing, although I've been told they're fine for now.

Touch wood that nothing else has needed doing. The Sport has slightly harder suspension than the SE model, but I like the feel of the drive and am used to harder suspension through having the IS Sport and previously a Honda Prelude VTech.

My GS is T reg and cost about £12k with 63k miles on the clock and a FLSH and I bought it privately.

I definitely find it a good compromise between sporty looks and style and practicality. My in-laws have a Honda CRV (I also like Hondas) and they can't fit as much in their boot as I can in my GS!

GS II boot is bigger than IS but poor for the class of car. It's uneven and you have the hinge arm problem that you have with the IS.

Rear leg room is fine but headroom isn't for people 6ft+

Will use more fuel than the IS, and if you are doing a lot of small in town journeys it will use a lot more fuel.

Go for a 2001+ model. Improvements in ride quality and interior look.

Look in the Knowledgebase for things to look out for.

Stu, I found this one .... looks really nice, low miles ... and price looks decent ?

1999 T Reg LEXUS GS 3.0 Sport

4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 28,000 miles, Blue. ABS, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Climate control, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Electric sunroof, Foglights, Electrically adjustable seats, Head restraints, Heated seats, Immobiliser, Lumbar support, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Radio/CD Multichanger, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Traction control. Black Leather, Boot Spoiler

£13,995.

http://www.smartycars.co.uk/dealers/crown/...76&Origin=Glass

Check it out .................

Does sound nice, but unfortunatley outside of the price range!!

I can't afford to spend anymore on the new car than i will get from the IS, with kiddie on the way i really can't justify spending cash on a car, i'm told these child things are quite expensive to run!!!! :P

Stu

'GS II boot is bigger than IS but poor for the class of car. It's uneven and you have the hinge arm problem that you have with the IS.'

I've never noticed the problem with the hinge arm I must admit, it's not proved an issue for me luckily.

On a separate note, not sure how much you'll get for your IS Stu, but keep an eye out in AutoTrader for GS's - seems to have been quite a few in there in recent times for about the £10k mark. I wouldn't necessarily worry about high milers as long as they've been looked after well. Quite a few of the chaps (Rodders for one) have had their mileage wave bye-bye to the 150k milage.

I anticipate about £7500 - £8000 for the IS, but if i put it back to standard and sell the mods separatley, i may make closer to £8500. We'll just have to see! I need a GS to test drive really befor ei make up my mind!!!

Stu