Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nearly Crashed

Well guys, had my first and hopefully last driving scare last night. Same journey i do every day, and have done for the three+ yeasrs ive been driving. Anyway, took a bend at 50, with the traction on, absolutley perfect, traction off, never bn so scared in my life.

Took the bend, the back end came out slightly, but gripped and through me the other way, but much more severely. Then it all ironed itself out. I don't understand, i used opposite lock, guess it taught me a valuable lesson, Never turn ttraction off and never think you are a better driver than you actually are.

Thaks for listening, (a stiff drink was well appreciated when i got back to my mates).

yep, either the easy way or the hard way!!

The back ends are lively on the IS during wet weather, high speed cornering etc with the TC on, but when it's off..........................

Think you know that now!!!!

As long as you are OK bud! :sick:

Stu

The bank end of any Rear Wheel Drive will act this way ......... it's actually scary when you loose the the back end of a front wheel drive, because you don't always feel it as you would do in a rear wheel drive.

But .... glad everyone is safe, and not hurt :blush:

Ive got the same trouble, especialluy now Im running a wider profile tyre and the roads are damp and dirty.

I go around the same roundabout every morning and every night, and Im learning quickly how to power slide !

Give it another couple of weeks I will be happily drifting..........

Its scary though when you dont expect it. pooh kaka indeed, need new air freshener.

wish i had traction control to turn off ,and if i did it would be permantly on after the scare i had the other night .was so lucky that the corner it went on was wide and i was not going that quick ,roads seem realy slippery at the moment either that or my tyres are crap in this weather

Fit racelogic traction control....................much better than the OEM system !

How do they work? Whay are they more superior?

In fact, having traction on tsince, i have noticed that the roads are evidently slippier. Still shook me up though, damn traction.

As a further point, anyone noticed you can't really go anywhere when the traction light flickers on? Dangerous in my opinion. On my e46 the car still moves.

I live in High Wycombe which most roads are a hill, some are very steep. I generally have traction control on but have to turn it off if in a side road and turning onto a road going up a hill cos it cuts in too early and then i find myself with no acceleration to continue my journey up the hill, much to the disgust of drivers that have already gathered speed up the hill only to have to slow down whilst I try to get my speed back up!!

How does the traction control work with the limited slip diff?

If one wheel slips and the lsd normally feeds the other, does this render the lsd ineffective unless the traction control is off?

doesnt seem to make any difference mate, my wheels are always spinning!

i have t/c off during the summer when its dry and on permanently in the winter and when its wet. it's good to turn it off if you're in a position to be able to have a little play and get used to your car. obviously dont play if theres a chance you could crash or injure anyone ;)

• 2 months later...

oh me, oh my...i had my 1st experience of this today - heart in the mouth & a chill all over was felt!! :o

traction control on, as always, but i don't think i'd realised just how cold it was & how slippery the roads were

pulled out from a side road onto a main road, had to push it a bit cos a car was coming - rear end absolutely flew away from me, this buzzer/warning sound shouted at me from the dash & i turned into it without even realising i'd reacted - then we were running straight again! :D prob about 0.5 seconds but felt like a lifetime...

damn good job i'd finished applying my lipgloss - would of made a right flippin mess :P :lol: us ladies don't REALLY do that you know guys, it's all a big lie made up by you men!! <_<

i was driving the is200 i might be buying soon, test drive around brentwood (essex) and it started to snow, being used to a front wheel drive volvo i just carried on as normal, jesus did it scare me and the owner of the car when we started goign sideways :P first time i ever drove and is200 and was in snow, greta fun!!!

Have to agree with mcwatson, I live in High Wycombe also.

Too many hills !! Great in the dry though, leave many others in your dust as you leave them sat at the bottom. :D :lol:

Getting too many cameras now though. :tsktsk:

mcwatson, Have to keep an eye out for you mate, see you around.

Cheers.