Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi folks,

Well, it looks like this is a reasonably common problem: I have a '98 Series 2 GS300, and recently I've been having some trouble with the locking on the car.

It's one particular door (the near-side rear) that's causing some trouble. When I lock the car, it sometimes doesn't lock. Similarly when I unlock the car, the door will often remain locked.

It happens with the "lock all" buttons on the drivers/passengers doors too. You'll hear the thunk of doors locking, then about a second after, you'll hear another, lesser thunk, where the car seems to think that one of the doors hasn't locked properly.

The child lock is off. The door is always as locked from the inside as it is from the outside. I'm guessing it's not the remote Battery, as the problem occurs from the lock-all buttons within the car. You can lock or unlock the problem door easily using the button on the inside handle. This always works fine, suggesting it's probably not a locking motor problem.

What's the diagnosis, do you think? Will I have to shell 300 notes for a central locking computer, or is it worth disconnecting the Battery for a bit and resetting the car's brain?

Lemme know your thoughts!

Russ.

My central locking is up the creek as well. The fault is different to yours and requires a new computer module.

If your case, I think there is a loose wire from the loom to the electronics in the door. There is a lot more in the door than you would think!

You'll hear the thunk of doors locking, then about a second after, you'll hear another, lesser thunk, where the car seems to think that one of the doors hasn't locked properly.

Have you checked out the car Battery?

We had the same problem with a rep's car in work. An old Renault 19.

Although everything else worked fine, one door lock was very temperamental.

I charged the Battery for a whole weekend, and it was fine for about 3 days.

Eventually, we changed the Battery altogether, and it gave no more trouble.

Just my tuppence worth.

Phil.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi folks,

Well, it looks like this is a reasonably common problem: I have a '98 Series 2 GS300, and recently I've been having some trouble with the locking on the car.

It's one particular door (the near-side rear) that's causing some trouble. When I lock the car, it sometimes doesn't lock. Similarly when I unlock the car, the door will often remain locked.

It happens with the "lock all" buttons on the drivers/passengers doors too. You'll hear the thunk of doors locking, then about a second after, you'll hear another, lesser thunk, where the car seems to think that one of the doors hasn't locked properly.

The child lock is off. The door is always as locked from the inside as it is from the outside. I'm guessing it's not the remote battery, as the problem occurs from the lock-all buttons within the car. You can lock or unlock the problem door easily using the button on the inside handle. This always works fine, suggesting it's probably not a locking motor problem.

What's the diagnosis, do you think? Will I have to shell 300 notes for a central locking computer, or is it worth disconnecting the battery for a bit and resetting the car's brain?

Lemme know your thoughts!

Russ.

Hi, I have exactly the same problem on my '95 LS400, some rapid locking and unlocking from the drivers door master locking switch will eventually free the blighter but only for about half a day. Is getting in the door and looking for something sticking a big job?

Regards

Steevee Leevee