Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A Sat Nav

does anyone know if

a) this is possible ( wiring etc is it present)

B) where to buy the Sat Nav from.

I really want the official model but i have been told this is a factory buy unit only, but because the car is a Limited edition i did not have the option of buying it at the time.

:)

If you were to purchase all the parts required from Lexus it would cost you about £4500-5000

If you find a car at a breakers then yes it is possible, you need the screen unit, nav unit in the boot, aerial, wiring loom, Navigation controller and Nav disc.

Best option is buy a TomTom Go ;)

Hi there,

I beg to differ with your opinions that you cant fit an original lexus sat nat after manufacter cus I have just finished fitting it into my IS200 se.

I did however have to remove and refit the following.........

get ready for this...............

Seats, carpets, whole dash board including steering assembly center console, wiring loom, rear parcel shelf and the entire contents if the boot!!!

What did it cost I hear you ask????

Second hand Sat Nav System £400

(including the screen, wiring loom for entire car,R/C Nav controller and Cd ECU Unit)

CD Disc (Ebay) £40

(£150 new from Lexus)

GPS Aerial £18

(adapted a non lexus one cus they wanted £350+VAT for original!!)

And the there was the labour of me and my mate in the freezing cold for two days and nights. I dont think any one can put a price on dedication for my pride and joy!!!!

Another option open to me was an after market Sat Nav System which I purchased for £1,500 before locating the above second hand original lexus system. This system is now up for sale on eBay cus I no longer require it, have a look see if you like it, I have not put any reserve on it so happy bidding!!!!

Pejay

If you were to purchase all the parts required from Lexus it would cost you about £4500-5000

If you find a car at a breakers then yes it is possible, you need the screen unit, nav unit in the boot, aerial, wiring loom, Navigation controller and Nav disc.

Colin's right. Buy the TomTom Go or as I have, an iPAQ and TomTom Bluetooth unit. Either are really great.

Is there a nice tidy unit like this that you can buy but that doesn't plug into the cigarette lighter, don't think i could cope with the wires trailing everywhere!

Rob,

your the same as me with regard to untidy wires. But I do own a TomTom Go and it comes with a mains charger and cigarette lighter charger, however the internal Battery lasts for 8 hours fully charged, so I rarely use the in-car charger.

Might I direct you to:

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/bmwpc/

It's a bloke who built his own carputer for around £500.

I'll be doing one next year and using the JDM tray to hide the screen under. will also play MP3's, and will even have a reversing camera :-)

Anyway, hope this helps. If we can get hold of the 'audio in' converstion thing for the stoick radio, then we are laughing!

Paul

Hi there,

I beg to differ with your opinions that you cant fit an original lexus sat nat after manufacter cus I have just finished fitting it into my IS200 se.

I did however have to remove and refit the following.........

get ready for this...............

Seats, carpets, whole dash board including steering assembly center console, wiring loom, rear parcel shelf and the entire contents if the boot!!!

What did it cost I hear you ask????

Second hand Sat Nav System      £400

(including the screen, wiring loom for entire car,R/C Nav controller and Cd  ECU Unit)

CD Disc  (Ebay)                          £40

(£150 new from Lexus)

GPS Aerial                                  £18

(adapted a non lexus one cus they wanted £350+VAT for original!!)

And the there was the labour of me and my mate in the freezing cold for two days and nights. I dont think any one can put a price on dedication for my pride and joy!!!!

Another option open to me was an after market Sat Nav System which I purchased for £1,500 before locating the above second hand original lexus system. This system is now up for sale on ebay cus I no longer require it, have a look see if you like it, I have not put any reserve on it so happy bidding!!!!

Pejay

thats one way to get to know your car,, rip it apart.... well done that man.

Colin's right. Buy the TomTom Go or as I have, an iPAQ and TomTom Bluetooth unit. Either are really great.

Is there a nice tidy unit like this that you can buy but that doesn't plug into the cigarette lighter, don't think i could cope with the wires trailing everywhere!

Rob,

your the same as me with regard to untidy wires. But I do own a TomTom Go and it comes with a mains charger and cigarette lighter charger, however the internal Battery lasts for 8 hours fully charged, so I rarely use the in-car charger.

Oh ok, so the wire to the cigarette lightrer is purely a charger, it doesn't have to be plugged in all the time? Does that mean you can literally have the tom tom on its own in a cradle somewhere?

Thanks for the info by the way :)

tidy - thats what i crazy about -

love to buy a GPS also tidy comes into mind -

option 1 Navman 510 - nice small and will fit into a dash try,

option 2 Tomtom go. - nice, dose the job - but too tacky

have a look at the Navman its the bizzz. :P

I've got a Navman 630 in mine. fits nicely in the dash tray with the power lead to one side.

Got mine from the US for £255 all in and delivery took 3 days.

Already had the software aqnd now have US maps to boot.

All in, its easy to use with Road or Postcode input.

Go for it- I'm pleased I got mine.

J

I've got a Navman 630 in mine.  fits nicely in the dash tray with the power lead to one side.

Got mine from the US for £255 all in and delivery took 3 days.

Already had the software aqnd now have US maps to boot.

All in, its easy to use with Road or Postcode input.

Go for it- I'm pleased I got mine.

J

Hi mate I'm also stuck between the tomtom go and the Navman 510, but I hear the 630 is even better. Where did you buy it from? Do you have a webby address I could look at?

Just one thing I am unsure about- I have the shelf on me IS200 which i plan to put the satnav on, but I don't wana use the cradle that comes with these satnav units, is there any way to fix the satnav unit down to the shelf directly so it doesnt move, and is flush with the tray?

Cheers