Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1st Service, Both Front Tyres Needed Changing

Just had my first service with Cardiff Lexus today.

£130.00. I thought it's not cheap but not that expensive. My girlfriend has a Seat Ibiza, had a intermediate service which cost £200. ( without valet). :crybaby:

Then I was hit by the news that both my front tyres needed changing.

The inside track of both front tyres are now 0.5mm, the right side is even worse, almost bold, but the outside edge is still 4-5mm thick.

The rear tyres are still in good shape, about 5mm tread left.

I thought that was a bit odd, and seeing that my car is only 9800 miles, it is literally eating my tyres. I've been quoted £240 for the pair including fitting.

(Qwik fit, National etc, quoted 300 for the pair)

The service manager says it's normal for ISs to wear the front tyres, esp the inside edge.

questions: how often do you need to buy new rubber? is the pattern of wear normal for ISs?

p/s also test drove a IS300 today, very nice, lots of toys, Sat Nav, HID lights, full leather, arm rest, auto dim rear view, VSC, Slip Diff, cruise...... and the smooth power delivery.... gotto get one one day.... i didfind the steering was much heavier, maybe because it only has 2000 miles on....

cheers :driving:

My last service, I needed new front tires too

I paid £65 each and my lexus dealer fitted them for free for me

the camber will need adjusting and shouldnt really need to be done on a brand new car unless you have hit some huge potholes or something....

maybe you should get them to sort it under warranty

Been shopping around for tyres... bridgestone potenza 215/45/r17, all quoted ~140-150 including fiiting each.

just phoned cardiff lexus, they'll get both changed from 300, including vat and lazer alignment.

Damn... another 300 down the drain, and just before christmas...

Just had my first service with Cardiff Lexus today.

£130.00. I thought it's not cheap but not that expensive. My girlfriend has a Seat Ibiza, had a intermediate service which cost £200. ( without valet). :crybaby:

The inside track of both front tyres are now 0.5mm, the right side is even worse, almost bold, but the outside edge is still 4-5mm thick.

The rear tyres are still in good shape, about 5mm tread left.

I thought that was a bit odd, and seeing that my car is only 9800 miles, it is literally eating my tyres. I've been quoted £240 for the pair including fitting.

(Qwik fit, National etc, quoted 300 for the pair)

The service manager says it's normal for ISs to wear the front tyres, esp the inside edge.

questions: how often do you need to buy new rubber? is the pattern of wear normal for ISs?

p/s also test drove a IS300 today, very nice, lots of toys, Sat Nav, HID lights, full leather, arm rest, auto dim rear view, VSC, Slip Diff, cruise...... and the smooth power delivery.... gotto get one one day.... i didfind the steering was much heavier, maybe because it only has 2000 miles on....

cheers :driving:

your tyre wear is NOT normal, no manufacturer would make a car that wears tyres in such a leathal way, the geometry is wrong, this needs to be addressed now or you will need two more tyres real soon...

Just wondering... did you check the tyres yourself after being told this?

My car went in for a service a while back and the manager told me the same thing. I asked if there was something wrong with the setup of the car and I was told that "this sort of thing was to be expected of a performance car" :blink:

Dealer said I really should think about changing them very soon as they weren't legal (even though I believe that the tread has be to low across at least two thirds of the tyre, not just on an edge).

I had a good look at both tyres when I got home, no problem with them at all (as I expected seeing as I had a brand new set fitted when I bought the car back in March).

yes i did check the tyres at home. Coz i just didn't believe him in the first place. Both front tryes were almost bold on the inside edge...... :excl:

unless they changed it during service............... :ph34r:

anyhow, got me new rubbers....

curious, I find that the car feels different after the service.

The gearchange is much smoother (was having the "clunk" 2+3 gear effect prior to service), steering more feel to it. Quite sure they didn't change any of these component in the service.

I was expecting the engine to be smoother after an oil change... but didn't feel any difference....

will see how it gets on in the next few days....

p/s took Lexus Cardiff 3 hours to change 2 tyres and do an alignment check, didn't even valet the car!!! :angry:

So in 9800 miles you didn't check the condition of your tyres? Worth checking every 1000 miles that way if you notice any abnormal wear you can get it corrected before you have to purchase two new tyres.

Your vehicle shouldn't drive any different after a service, certainly not a small one unless there is a problem with the vehicle. I'm sure for £130 they haven't gone near the gearbox. Steering may feel different if they have adjusted the tyre pressures.