Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Failed Mot. What Parts Do I Need?

Stevie

My 1995 GS300 has just failed the MOT on:

Steering rack, excessive play, and

Both front lower swivel joints, excessive lift.

I appreciate that it is not always possible to diagnose these things from a distance but could anyone give me an idea of what parts could be involved here? (I am guessing lower ball joints for problem 2).

Stephen

My garage tells me I will need a pair of ball joints and a steering rack. Given the cost of the latter, does anyone know if the steering rack can be repaired? The garage hasn't seen the car yet - I'm currently trying to get it in before Christmas.

Stephen

Andy, that's brilliant!

I just called them on the off chance and they were still working at 8:30 pm Unfortunately, they didn't have one in stock but they quoted £170 incl. VAT and delivery both ways for reconditioning my own unit. 48-hour turnround. That's pretty good. (Isn't the Lexus part around £700?)

Any thoughts on lower ball joints? I'm currently looking at £70 each.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Hunt around, someone here got lower ball joints for £52 each, not sure whether that included VAT.

I got mine from www.lexus-parts.com (Sewell Lexus of Texas). Including carriage, delivery, duty and VAT it came to just under £135 for the pair.

Look at my post titled Cheap Non-lexus Parts for contact info.

• 2 weeks later...

>Hunt around, someone here got lower ball joints for £52 each, not sure whether that >included VAT.

>I got mine from www.lexus-parts.com (Sewell Lexus of Texas). Including carriage, >delivery, duty and VAT it came to just under £135 for the pair.

Thanks for the tip. I sent them an email but it bounced a few days later. In the end, I opted for the standard Lexus replacements, as I had to get the car through the retest. They weren't that outrageous - not compared to a replacement steering rack from Lexus - £1150!!!!

On the bright side, the MOT mechanic was wrong about the steering rack - my local workshop said it was fine. They just fixed the ball joints and it passed.

While I was there, they also told me an interesting little story about a three-year old Saab, whose big-end bearings went. Saab don't supply 'em. New engine. I thought Lexus was bad for parts but that is just outrageous.

Stephen

with regard to the mot tester getting it wrong,

if the wear in the ball joints was bad it can sometimes give

the impression that some of the wear is in the rack.

when testing a steering rack a small amount of play is not an mot fail

as an mot examiner ( 20+ years and a mechanic 30+ years )

if anyone has any questions regarding the mot test

i would be happy to try and answer them as per the mot bible.

regards

andy :driving: