• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

OH NO! :excl:

Snow again today in the Rochdale/Manchester/Oldham area!

The car is embarrising in the snow. It just slides all over the place and whenever I try to brake it wants to try and do a 360!

Car was stuck in the work car park today. Their was hardly any snow - just black ice and I couldn't get ANY traction! I had to go headbowed to the caretaker and borrow a spade and some grit to get it to move!! Had all these fiesta/BMW owning guys thinking their cars are so wonderful! :tsktsk:

Doesn't help that I am on crappy worn summer tyres that are not really designed for this weather. My new tyres should be getting fitted this week (aham - Manchesters Finest Citizen :whistling::whistling: ) so should help- but they are still Summer Tyres. I am gonna leave my car in the garage for the rest of today! Don't really think its worth buying winter tyres for the one-month we get snow.

Going to be driving my old car now for the rest of the day!

its been snowing in north manchester for the last 2 hours, strong winds too, proper blizzards at times. the M60 which i can see from my window has come to a stand still several times so far.

ive got 2 chaps fixing the storm damage to my roof too, well theyre doing their best but i think they'll have to call it a day pretty soon.

IT GOT WORSE!

On the way home (to put the car in the garage) I had to turn into a sidestreet and gave way to a car comming out of the street. Well............NOW TOTALLY STUCK! :tomato:

Managed to get one of the residents of the street to give me a push - but as soon as I got to a speed bump - THAT WAS IT!

Going nowhere! :ph34r::nuke:

I have had to park up and get a lift home from my dad in his Nissan Primera!!

Hope it starts to rain soon so that I can go get my car!!

And it gets worse - my old car has a flat Battery so I cannot go anywhere!! :angry:

Oh Well. We live and learn!

Anees:  must say that you are one of the few people who seem to have realised that summer tyres and snow and cold weather dont make for happy  :driving:

Hey........my time on LOC is not wasted spending money. LOL I actually learn things too! :lol:

On the way home (to put the car in the garage) I had to turn into a sidestreet and gave way to a car comming out of the street. Well............NOW TOTALLY STUCK! :tomato:

LOL (sorry!)

Reminds me of an experience I had a few years ago in my MR2 - my house is at the top of quite a steep hill. I managed to drive all the way home from work (20 miles) being really really really gentle with the car (the slightest touch of the brakes or accelerator and she'd just slide and spin all over the place).

Anyway, I got to the bottom of my road, turned in really gentle and I still had grip so I thought "wow - I'm going to make it". Half way up the hill there's a Pug 406 slowly digging itself into the snow and sliding all over the place :tsktsk: ... so I had to stop. Once you stop you can't get going again, the rears just polish the snow - took me about an hour to help the Pug driver to get his car moving again, then another hour to get my car up to my house...

...my IS200 seemed to cope alright in the snow compared to an MR2, I didn't have any problems when it snowed over Christmas.

I do find it funny to be honest! Got this fancy car with Traction Control, Snow Mode and all it does is spin its tyes! On the way to the sidestreet where I got stuck I was being overtaken by fiestas, puntos and saxos!

I want the James Bond style Snow Mode where spikes come out of the tyres and the ride height increases! ( An idea for ProLex maybe?? :whistling::whistling: )

sounds like you have a heavy right foot Anees :lol:

well its rained here in north manchester and a fair bit of snow has now cleared so hopefully you'll be able to get the lex back soon.

i got stuck in my accountants car park this time last year, managed to get some cardboard out of a skip though and use that to get out. i stupidly parked on a slope that day, never again in the snow!

sounds like you have a heavy right foot Anees :lol:

No mate not me. :whistling:

I was just giving it the smallest amount of throttle and clutch and it wouldn't move. If I increased it slightly it would just start to go sidewards.

Anyway...you are right - a lot of snow has cleared now - so hopefully I can go get the car!

I'm in total agreement with everyone's comments on the Traction Control/Snow mode business.

I've managed to spin my car 180 degrees coming out of my road in normal weather (albeit a little heavy on the gas in 1st gear... :ohmy: )

I've mentioned this in another post here

Really disappointing considering the cost of the car, the traction, snow, big wide tyres, LSD on a Sport model etc... :huh:

To answer the title:

We don't need to make worries about snow this year.... it's quite cold for the last 3-4months, but we didn't gate any snow until yet. :crybaby:

It's fun to look for a huge place in the night, when traffic is light and play around, but of course you have to take care in traffic then.

Ordinary I like snow... the car is silent, and it makes fun to play around on huge parking places. :)

Have to admit (touch wood) mine was fine today!

Had her fishtailing a bit in the car park at work but that was it, fine for everything else when she was coming, like Rob said earlier, forget about the IS in the snow if you're on summer tyres, Rob was telling me a story about Switzerland and his winter tyres and the car is fine with that combination....

Was lucky really seeing as 3 other cars (all FWD) all hit a wall in the car park, I wasn't stupid enough to go down that bit though :o

I noticed the last time we had bad snow the IS300 drivers were okay, think it may be something to do with the extra VSC those vehicles have being superior to what is in the 200....

Retarded question (it's what I do guys) but which are the standard tyres that come with the IS200? Summer or winter? I have the dunlop ones (hmm i probably sound like a clueless bimbo) that came straight from lexus dealer. Is there any way of telling which they are?

hi aido, hows it? yes mate if u have winter tyres then its no prob ( i know in UK having winter tyres isnt really an option as u hardly get any snow) an example is that we had 50cm overnight the other week, the snow ploughs were out and cleared the majority but still left about 2 cm of compacted snow on the road, never had any probs, not even a twitch, but u do have to drive properly, drive like u do in summer and ur asking for trouble.

as for the fiestas etc going along no probs its prob because they are FWD and will have block tread tyres.

pic of a summer and winter tyre: HERE notice the little zigzags in the winter tyres the 1000's of these help to grip on the snow and ice, the tread is about 12 mm deep also

winter tyres are very soft - u will loose about 2mm of tread in the winter season, so the tyres will be good for about 4 seasons before u have to change them

Retarded question (it's what I do guys) but which are the standard tyres that come with the IS200?  Summer or winter?  I have the dunlop ones (hmm i probably sound like a clueless bimbo) that came straight from lexus dealer.  Is there any way of telling which they are?

you have summer tyres fitted as standard on the IS in the UK.

Retarded question (it's what I do guys) but which are the standard tyres that come with the IS200?  Summer or winter?  I have the dunlop ones (hmm i probably sound like a clueless bimbo) that came straight from lexus dealer.  Is there any way of telling which they are?

you have summer tyres fitted as standard on the IS in the UK.

Oh crap. The air is getting colder by the minute- oh well time to get the mountain bike out.

Has anybody else noticed that the fuel economy gauge is much better when you press the SNOW button?

Try this - when your crusing say 60 / 70 standard pace, check out the MPG gauge usually hovering around 25-30mpg and press the SNOW button and check out the gauge!!!

On the whole I don't think the SNOW button is a bad thing it just reduces the power when you accelerate.

I used to have a 3 series and that was just as bad in the snow if not worse as it didn't have a SNOW button.

I've noticed that - I use it when I'm not in any hurry (50-60mph)

I also use it for traffic jams (it makes the car easier to control in a slow crawl.)

Contrary to popular belief, the SNOW button does actually do somthing.

The IS200 has an electronic throttle - and as such can be changed at the push of a button. So pressing SNOW, dulls the response of the throttle. AFAIK, it doesn't affect the cars ability to accelerate, it just means you have to press the accelerator harder.

The IS was made with a livley throttle, to make it feel sportier than it actually is - I would have preferred if they reversed the set up and had it dulled for normal driving, with the option to press a SPORT button to liven it up.

SNAP!!  :blush:

I was stuck in a car park and the car was sliding all over the place. I had Traction Control and Snow Mode on - it was still hard to get grip. Maybe I miss understood what snow mode does!

The car wanted to go sidewards all the time!! I was really surprised how bad it was!

I was getting terrible feedback through the brake pedal too!  :excl:

Ironically when I turned the Traction Control and Snow Mode off i started to move!!

Just out of interest, my understanding of the snow button is it allows you some wheelspin. Traction control bogs the engine down too much in the snow and even make you stall.

Some spin is required to move and is essential when snow chains are fitted. Anyone agree or disagree.......

SNAP!!  :blush:

I was stuck in a car park and the car was sliding all over the place. I had Traction Control and Snow Mode on - it was still hard to get grip. Maybe I miss understood what snow mode does!

The car wanted to go sidewards all the time!! I was really surprised how bad it was!

I was getting terrible feedback through the brake pedal too!  :excl:

Ironically when I turned the Traction Control and Snow Mode off i started to move!!

Just out of interest, my understanding of the snow button is it allows you some wheelspin. Traction control bogs the engine down too much in the snow and even make you stall.

Some spin is required to move and is essential when snow chains are fitted. Anyone agree or disagree.......

I have also heard the snow chain thing. I also have an A class merc, and it has a snow button or something similar which should be used when u attach snow chains.