Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Wear

Well following on from a previous post, I've finally had the tyres that had worn across the inside edge all replaced, and swapped the one that was still ok with the spare so I now have four brand new tyres on the car.

I figured that the reason for the severe wear on the inside edge was due to some alignment or camber problem. However, the guys at the tyre place checked the alignment and said everything is absolutely spot on :o

I know its quite common for ISs to eat the insides of their tyres, but two dealers have seen the state of my tyres, and both said I should definitely had the alignment checked because the wear was very strange.

So what's going on? :blink: Is this something I should take up with the dealers?

From the old posts I've read on here the IS is designed to have negative camber as it improves the handling of the car (not 100% on that bit) - when they say the car is to spec it is to spec with the negative camber intended by the manufacturer.....

Saying that though, did they check the geometry?

Might be worth speaking to somone like Tony Bones @ Wheels In Motion?

now after reading all the posts about tyre wear etc..... i decided last week to change mine around to even out the wear and i found that all 4 tyres were in great condition and had worn evenly with no more loss of tread on the inside than the outside.

i have driven 8000 miles on them since new, now then according to lexus my car cant be set up correctly if they are wearing out evenly ????????????

so is my car abnormal and should i get them toed in so they eat tyres like theres no tomorrow or should i leave well alone

i think i already know the answer

but it does make a mockery of the garages argument that the excessive inner tread wear is normal and to be expected.

:duh:

Like aido said, see Tony, I'm planning too after Xmas.. give him a ring before hand: 01923 234666

Only in Watford, not too far from you..

Better to be safe than sorry, especially with all new tyres.

U go for than OEM Lexus Dunlops in the end?

Was thinking about getting the alignment checked at another garage anyway, so might do that? What exactly is the geometry?

Yeah I did go with the Dunlops, took a while to find them but a local tyre place eventually found some in Scotland and at £100 a tyre, think it was a bit of a bargain :D Can't believe how different the car feels with the new tyres on, there's so much more grip, and for some reason the steering feels lighter :blink:

Well following on from a previous post, I've finally had the tyres that had worn across the inside edge all replaced, and swapped the one that was still ok with the spare so I now have four brand new tyres on the car.

I figured that the reason for the severe wear on the inside edge was due to some alignment or camber problem. However, the guys at the tyre place checked the alignment and said everything is absolutely spot on  :o

I know its quite common for ISs to eat the insides of their tyres, but two dealers have seen the state of my tyres, and both said I should definitely had the alignment checked because the wear was very strange.

So what's going on?  :blink: Is this something I should take up with the dealers?

Nice to read a vote of confidence from you guys, Parthiban No car is designed to wear tyres in such a dangerouse way, the camber on the Lexus is very exacting, and will not allow any exemption from it's tollerance, go there, and, beware, wheel alignment will not detect camber, only a full geometry will do this, my best advice in a fatal field of tyre wear is, get a full geometry test, have the front cambers set as far positive as possible, and expect the offer of fine tuning,

as far as the dealers are concerned, it's your problem now, not there's..

read my site www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk i make no money from the site and i sell nothing but advise, all said this may help and since it's free then why not...

as far as the dealers are concernd to be fair this is your problem now not there's.