Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Freakiest Thing Just Happened!

Bison

I was on the bypass on the way home from work and I was doing about 70mph, A Vectra wizzed passed me and I thought bugger it and put me foot down. (It's an Auto LS400 by the way)

Instead of changing down a gear my car felt like it went into neutral and just revved out! ****ting my self I took my foot of the Gas, and it went back into gear no probs, put my foot down again, same thing happened?

Me starting to get worried I slowed down, but I needed to do it once more. This time it did change down but when it went back into the higher gear it really jerked in.

Been fine since that though, doesn't feel like it is a gearbox problem, feels more like electrical, something telling it not to change?

Any Ideas?

Bison :zee:

Sounds very similar to what happened to me a few months back, this due to very low oil level within the box, unfortunately I'd already caused some damage resulting in new friction pads being required.

Hopefully it will be something different and easier on the wallet

if you do need fluid ,use only toyota fluid, idealy have a complete fluid change by the way bison nice to see you saw the light and got another lexus . :D thought you would have got a soarer though more your style

Funnily enough my Girlfriends Dad has a 53 plate Veccy Gsi, Apart from on the corners theres not much in it on the straights. but I'll eat any smaller Vectras for breakfast..

Might change the car later in the year unless this is something serious, It's between a Soarer, a Supra a newer LS400 or a Volvo V70 T5? I do love the Volvos mind you they are mentally fast when chipped.

Still theres lots of time to look around.

P:S How do I check the Fluid level in the box?

Bison :zee:

Funnily enough my Girlfriends Dad has a 53 plate Veccy Gsi, Apart from on the corners theres not much in it on the straights. but I'll eat any smaller Vectras for breakfast..

Might change the car later in the year unless this is something serious, It's between a Soarer, a Supra a newer LS400 or a Volvo V70 T5? I do love the Volvos mind you they are mentally fast when chipped.

Still theres lots of time to look around.

Bison  :zee:

Why not a V300? You'll be able to eat (almost) any car for breakfast with some little mods here and there ;) and more practical than a Supra?

Don't know how to check the Fluid lever in the box though sorry :).

Bison  :zee:

Start the engine, put the selector into "D" and the "R" and back to "D" and then in "N". Put the footbrake this will stop the car from moving while you are under the bonnet. With the engine still running, remove the G.Box dipstick, wipe down and recheck the oil level. There should be 2 levels - "HOT" & "COLD", it's the "COLD" you need to pay attention to. It should be in the middle of the 2 marks for "COLD".

If you have been driving as some speed - over 70 - 80 for about 1 Hr, then the G/Box will be warm enough for the level to be in the "HOT" section, again this needs to be between the 2 marks for the "HOT".

Hope this helps

BR

Paul