Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air Bag warning light

RV8

Twice now whilst driving my two month old IS200 SE the Airbag Warning light on has come on. Both times the outside temp was over 29 degrees so I'm wondering if that could be related ?

The manual says that this indicates a possible malfunction with the Airbags or pretensioners.

I will be booking it in to Lexus Hatfield for a couple of other minor niggles as well but thought I'd check out the oracle first to see if you guys have had similar problems ?

Originally posted by RV8

I will be booking it in to Lexus Hatfield for a couple of other minor niggles as well but thought I'd check out the oracle first to see if you guys have had similar problems ?

Let me know how you go with Lexus Hatfield (or even review them in the review section) as I'm a bit indifferent about them at the moment.:?:

I've never experienced any problems with the airbag warning lights, it should certainly be looked at by a dealer. I'm also interested to hear your comments on Lexus Hatfield, I'm looking for a good southern Lexus dealer, gave up on MK, haven't tried Edgeware yet.

Andy

:cool:

Not had this on the Lexus, but on a previous car a faulty connection to a seat-belt pretensioner caused it.

Could be anything in the SRS though - you have to get it looked at by a dealer.

Originally posted by Andy_IS200

I've never experienced any problems with the airbag warning lights, it should certainly be looked at by a dealer. I'm also interested to hear your comments on Lexus Hatfield, I'm looking for a good southern Lexus dealer, gave up on MK, haven't tried Edgeware yet.

I've found Woodford much better than Hatfield. I gave up on Hatfield but that was a couple of years ok, they may have improved.

Originally posted by Andy_IS200

Andy

:cool:

Hatfield seems to be getting a bit of a mention - this is the only dealer I've used so far - mainly because it's the nearest. Like to hear your views on Lexus Hatfield as well.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

The warning light hasn't come on again since those two particularly warm days but I will still get the car looked at as there are one or two other minor niggles that need to be sorted.

Once I've had the car looked at by Lexus Hatfield I'll let you know what they found . . . . the Sales side were brilliant, I only hope that the Service side is as good ?

I had the traction control and abs warning lights come on once. I'd been throwing the car around a bit so I thought a sensor wire or something must have worked loose but after I restarted the engine it was fine and has never happened again. I guess it was just the car commenting on my driving....:rolleyes:

Just got back from having the "Diagnostic" check done on my car to see if they could see anything untoward.

The tester came up with an error code of B1135 with a message which in effect said that there was a broken connection in the Airbag assembly.

I was pleased that it had found an error but speaking to the mechanic/technician/engineer (what do they call them theses days ?) he said that I would have to rebook the car in as they would have to check the whole circuitry, which means six airbags and the seat-belt pretensioners. All in all at least a couple of hours work.

I'm reluctant to let them loose on the car just yet so we agreed that he would erase the error code and that I should monitor the warning light to see if it comes on again.

As it's only happened three times in two months I'll give it a month or so and hope it doesn't happen again.

It seems that as long as the warning light isn't on then there's nothing to worry about and if it does come on I can always extinguish it by restarting the car which should put it back in to full operation again.

If I hit anything and the Airbags don't work I'll let you know ! !

As an aside, and following requests, the Service operation at Hatfield (such as I saw of it) seems OK so far. . . . I asked if I could watch over the technician's shoulder while he was running the tests and, while they wouldn't allow me into the workshop for Insurance reasons, they carried out the tests outside and he even showed me the manual with all the error codes in.

Watch this space !

If the light does come on again, it would definately be worth having it checked out fully, afterall your safety is more important than losing a few hours of driving pleasure in the Lexus ( I know how hard that is).

I remember the case of a 3 month old Merc whose airbag inflated during normal driving! Luckly the driver was not hurt.

I had this problem in my old vectra (common Vauxhall build quality!).

Because it was a company car, I called LEX Vehicle Leasing to get it sorted and they sent the AA immediately. The AA man said I can't let you drive the car on the off chance that it does go off, im taking to the nearest vauxhall dealership (great service except i had no car!! :mad:)

Anyway, the dealer gave it back to me and said they needed parts, and would take a week, but drive carefully as the drivers airbag was disabled as a result!!!

Worth thinking about!

You're right, of course Lexus Hatfield will give me a courtesy car but it's just that this is a two month old car and I'm not happy about them removing all the panels to get to the Airbag connections.

I've just spent three years in a car without creature comforts like Airbags, Power Steering, Aircon, Elec windows etc . . so I'm not that bothered about the fact that the Airbags may not go off. . . . more concerned that my new car will be damaged at the dealership.

Crazy I know but I hate leaving my cars at the dealerships as there's ALWAYS, ALWAYS. ALWAYS problems afterwards.

If the warning light persists then I'll have no option but, they're not getting their hands on my car for an intermittent fault that they probably won't find anyway !

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's in ! !

Dropped it off at Hatfield this morning and exchanged my gleaming car for a grubby silver demo car . . . . . and it cost me £10 !

My fingers will be crossed all day !

Having previously been a Smart car owner, I have got to really understand that all the safty systems work AS A WHOLE in the event of an accident. So I wouldn't rely on it if the airbags are not as they should. And as we have mentioned here as well, it could be the pretensioners as well, if they fail and the bags don't, then say a big hello to the bags. But anyway, hope they fix it now.

How come it'll cost u a tenner?

I agree with Ezzer, RV8. I would not be happy driving my car if the airbag system was not functioning correctly. I really think you have done the right thing in booking it in.

PS, dont worry about them removing panels in the car, my interior has been in and out like a yo-yo while installing my stereo, and it all goes back together just fine. There are no rattles from the trim like you used to get on cars in the olden days! (or any Vauxhall):rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Got my car back in one piece on Tuesday and I've only driven it once since then. However it was a fairly warm day so I would have expected the warning light to have come on at some stage but it didn't !

Too early to say if it's fixed or not but I was very impressed with the way that Lexus Hatfield handled me and it !

I explained to Lindsey (Service Manager) that I was wary of the internal panels being removed and recounted some of my past bad experiences (Ford, Rover, Peugeot) but she assured me that every care would be taken.

I spoke to the mechanic/technician before the car went in and again afterwards and he explained that he had replaced a "Module" that was housed behind the dash. (Not sure what yet as they hadn't prepared the paperwork as the part was express delivered on the day) . . . . paperwork will be posted to me once completed.

So, all in all, I'm impressed (particularly if the fault has been fixed) the only gripe was having to pay £10 for Fully Comp on the courtesy car !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links