Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Full Geometry

Parthiban

Took my car down to see Tony last friday to have a full geometry check done and must say I'd highly recommend anyone with an IS to have it done. I can't believe how different the car feels after all the wheels have been put back to how they should be.

Tony is a top bloke, never met anyone who cares about the welfare of my car as much as I do, and does the work at a great price too! :D

Also highlighted a problem with the caster angles, something to do with the position of the front wheels (i think :blink: ) and that it is most likely to have been the result of a manufacturing fault (irritating, i know, but gonna chase it up with Lexus)

So anyway, if you can get down to Watford, then definitely get it done, its not a great price to pay to ensure that the tyres last as long as they should and even better to have someone look over the car who actually knows what they are doing :winky:

This is about Tony Bones - his screen name is wheels-inmotion.co.uk - he's very knowledgable on all things geometry related and my car is set up as per the initial specs he gave.

A few of the members here have been to Tony to ensure their cars suspension setup is correct to maximise handling and minimise tyre wear etc...

I'll be making my way down at some point next year.....

Geometry and all the problems that result does make good reading, but remember this "IT KILLS" sad to say someone very dear to me died because of geometry, camber being the criminal. something we rely on day after day through design can become our destiny, the Lexus has a prominant geometry this needs to be embraced and monitered, unlike my friends car the Lexus has the ability to sustain it's geometry assuming that You are aware. be safe, be wise. be alive

I not been looking at this blokes website yet but is it a garage or tyre place & can 'any' good garages do this geometry set up? as Watford is bit out of my way.

Anyway from experience & LOTS of different reviews & LOTS of people saying tyres wearing out faster can also be caused by just changing the springs when getting the car lowered even though those springs are designed for that specfic car. being that wheels squat out further when is not meant to or something. Thats why is best to change the shocks for matching ones as well or go for coil overs....

I not been looking at this blokes website yet but is it a garage or tyre place & can 'any' good garages do this geometry set up? as Watford is bit out of my way.

Anyway from experience & LOTS of different reviews & LOTS of people saying tyres wearing out faster can also be caused by just changing the springs when getting the car lowered even though those springs are designed for that specfic car. being that wheels squat out further when is not meant to or something. Thats why is best to change the shocks for matching ones as well or go for coil overs....

Where are you?.....a lot of places will ONLY do tracking!!! and they will tell you that the camber does not need looking at becoz they dont know how to set it up properly.

Its a tyre/exhaust place but Tony just does geometry set up.If you can get yourself over/up /down to Tony then i suggest you do as he takes pride in what he does as he knows the set up of the IS and is giving a great price to LOC,wether you change wheel/tyre size or spring rate you should always get a full geometry check up done or pay the consequences (faster tyre wear).

hope this helps.

:D

So will this make the car seemingly better handling? or better to drive for want of a better word?

Also, what kind of cost is involved, just a ballpark figure would be good. I'm only a few miles from Watford so am quite intrested.

Each set up is different as Tony will adjust to your style of driving,and the cost is about £50,will take about an hour and he will enlighten you on geometry and keep you topped up with coffee. :D

Did you get your geometry set back to standard luxus spec or a revised one.

Getting some new tyres and was going to get this looked at ( got less than 15K out of my Bridgestones).

Is it worth getting Lexus to do the work or is there a better set up. I live in Newcastle so its too far to see Tony.

Getting some new tyres and was going to get this looked at ( got less than 15K out of my Bridgestones).

Is it worth getting Lexus to do the work or is there a better set up. I live in Newcastle so its too far to see Tony.

On my car, he returned everything back to Lexus standard settings (as my car is totally standard) and will check it again in about 2000 miles (totally free of charge) to re-assess based on my driving style.

So will this make the car seemingly better handling? or better to drive for want of a better word?

Also, what kind of cost is involved, just a ballpark figure would be good. I'm only a few miles from Watford so am quite intrested.

It really has made a noticeable difference, the car is so much more stable in high speed cornering. If you're near Watford, you should definitely take it down because it really isn't much to pay and its much better when you can trust the person doing the work.

Tony, if you're reading this, I just wanted to ask that there seems to be a very gentle vibration in the steering wheel between 50-60mph (nothing above or below that). No immediate cause for concern, but could that be because of the caster angle problem or something else?

Tony, if you're reading this, I just wanted to ask that there seems to be a very gentle vibration in the steering wheel between 50-60mph (nothing above or below that). No immediate cause for concern, but could that be because of the caster angle problem or something else?

Sounds like the weight has come off from 1 or more rims...but im no expert :)

Geometry and all the problems that result does make good reading, but remember this "IT KILLS" sad to say someone very dear to me died because of geometry, camber being the criminal. something we rely on day after day through design can become our destiny, the Lexus has a prominant geometry this needs to be embraced and monitered, unlike my friends car the Lexus has the ability to sustain it's geometry assuming that You are aware. be safe, be wise. be alive

My dad was sent across three lanes of the M6 at 85mph after his tyres blew up due to something similar to this. He was lucky, sincerest apologies gor yourself and close ones for not being so lucky

On my car, he returned everything back to Lexus standard settings (as my car is totally standard) and will check it again in about 2000 miles (totally free of charge) to re-assess based on my driving style.

It really has made a noticeable difference, the car is so much more stable in high speed cornering. If you're near Watford, you should definitely take it down because it really isn't much to pay and its much better when you can trust the person doing the work.

reads like wheel balance, you are correct castor will cause a vibration but not in your case "we know" that your castor angles are ok, the really strange thing about wheel balance is that it's a frequency? any wheel that is out of symmetrical balance is so at all speeds? so why can you detect it at 50-60? the tyre/ wheel/ suspension absorb the vibration to a tuned level, every car has a unique point of release compounded by the level of imbalance, the vibration with your setup is 50-60 mph, you must in reality have a bad example of imbalance since you have 17"wheels? the rpm on a 17" is low, so the point of frequency must be high... when you come down for the fine tuning i will sort this for you "no prob".

what do you need?... most people on this forum require the best from their car and tyres? geometry is open to every aspect of abuse subject to those needs?

the handling i assume will be of the IS200....cost about £50.

what do you need?... most people on this forum require the best from their car and tyres? geometry is open to every aspect of abuse subject to those needs?

I'll give you a buzz in the New Year. I take it saturdays are good for you?

Just a quickie while on the subject. Do you need all even tyres to have the geometry set up correctly? Reason I ask is because I have 3 nearly new tyres and one about half worn on my std lexus 17's. What im asking really is, once its set, can I then put new 18" wheels and tyres on without needing it doing again?

If that makes any sense? :mat:

Cheers.

reads like wheel balance, you are correct castor will cause a vibration but not in your case "we know" that your castor angles are ok, the really strange thing about wheel balance is that it's a frequency? any wheel that is out of symmetrical balance is so at all speeds? so why can you detect it at 50-60? the tyre/ wheel/ suspension absorb the vibration to a tuned level, every car has a unique point of release compounded by the level of imbalance, the vibration with your setup is 50-60 mph, you must in reality have a bad example of imbalance since you have 17"wheels? the rpm on a 17" is low, so the point of frequency must be high... when you come down for the fine tuning i will sort this for you "no prob".

Thanks that'll be awesome. Spoke to Lexus and they want to take a look at the car and check it all themselves, he did seem genuinely surprised for the angles to be incorrect and showed no signs of fobbing me off, so I guess that's a good sign ;)

My dad was sent across three lanes of the M6 at 85mph after his tyres blew up due to something similar to this. He was lucky, sincerest apologies gor yourself and close ones for not being so lucky

thanks for the concern... why did your dads tyre blow out? was it camber?

and what make of car was he in.

I'll give you a buzz in the New Year. I take it saturdays are good for you?

any day is fine by me but you need to book first.

Thanks that'll be awesome. Spoke to Lexus and they want to take a look at the car and check it all themselves, he did seem genuinely surprised for the angles to be incorrect and showed no signs of fobbing me off, so I guess that's a good sign ;)

wow! did i miss the point or what? i am so sorry.. this week i have been building the site for the jan upload, replying to distressed email and nipping in and out of the forum, the situation with your car by mistake i confused with Scorpions car sorry! Scorpions castor angle is fine, your's is not. yes the castor can cause vibration but the effect will increase with speed. the attitude of Lexus regarding your problem is comforting and i am sure many people in this forum welcome the outcome. myself included.