Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Built-in Phone Question

Hi all,

I'm new to the club. Just bought myself a 97' LS400 with genuine 30.000 miles on it. And yes, I do know they are genuine. The car got everything except the manual for the built-in phone. This Motorola fixed unit includes a set of command buttons under the steering wheel. Now I have no idea what the buttons do except for the big one which is for taking the call. Anyone out there who knows more about this?

Motorola wasn't cooperative at all, in fact they told me to get lost. :angry: The local dealership was also no help at all. It's a shame if you consider that the same unit cost about 1500£ retail at that time.

Hi all,

I'm new to the club. Just bought myself a 97' LS400 with genuine 30.000 miles on it. And yes, I do know they are genuine. The car got everything except the manual for the built-in phone. This Motorola fixed unit includes a set of command buttons under the steering wheel. Now I have no idea what the buttons do except for the big one which is for taking the call. Anyone out there who knows more about this?

Motorola wasn't cooperative at all, in fact they told me to get lost.  :angry: The local dealership was also no help at all. It's a shame if you consider that the same unit cost about 1500£ retail at that time.

Hi all,

Motorola wasn't cooperative at all, in fact they told me to get lost.  :angry: The local dealership was also no help at all. It's a shame if you consider that the same unit cost about 1500£ retail at that time.

Hi,

I have an inbuilt Lexus phone and manual (printed in Belguim)

Part No.PZ409-F1272-P1

Do you have a corded handset in the armrest?

Have you inserted your own sim card?

The three small buttons are for making handsfree calls using your own pre-set numbers, twelve in all using combinations of 1, 2, 3, 11,12, 13, 21, 22, 23, 31, 32,33. These are easily dialled by pressing your pre-set number and pulling the Dial Bar towards you, (dialling is easy indentified by the radio system muting automatically).

If your system is the same as mine then auto answer after two rings can also be programmed.

The microphone is also part of that control unit on the steering wheel.

Regards & hope this helps.

Steevee Leevee

Alain,

I own a 95 LS with the same phone, built in the armrest as Steevee mentioned. Also the functions Steevee mentions are the same as on my phone/steeringwheel. If you want to have the manual PM me your adress and I will copy it and send it to you. I will have to check if my manual is in Dutch or English but translating it into english, if needed, wouldnt be much of a problem for me.

In my car there is a telephone unit installed in the trunk, where I had to put in my SIM-card (so: not in the phone itself!), is this the case in your car too?

Kind regards,

Speedy J

Thanks folks for your precious help.

That's what I found out until now: Morola used to mount 2 different phone into Lexus models. One was a removable system (Microtac I think), the other was a fixed system built into the central armrest and way more expensive. That one has a fixed cord and a steering wheel mounted command unit, as you both mentioned. It also has an output of 8 Watts, way more than a conventional GSM phone. The antenna is the thin vertical line visible in the middle of the rear window, not the connector in the standard retractable radio antenna.

The card can be inserted in 2 different locations. One is in the base of the phone holder in the armrest ( there's a small gap at the bottom where the card goes in) or in the trunk where the unit is located under the bottom cover on the left side. Strangely the position in the trunk seems to work always but not so for the card access in the armrest. For both you need a full size card.

This just for the records as it doesn't look as if I'm the only one experiencing problems with this.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks folks for your precious help.

That's what I found out until now: Morola used to mount 2 different phone into Lexus models. One was a removable system (Microtac I think), the other was a fixed system built into the central armrest and way more expensive. That one has a fixed cord and a steering wheel mounted command unit, as you both mentioned. It also has an output of 8 Watts, way more than a conventional GSM phone. The antenna is the thin vertical line visible in the middle of the rear window, not the connector in the standard retractable radio antenna.

The card can be inserted in 2 different locations. One is in the base of the phone holder in the armrest ( there's a small gap at the bottom where the card goes in) or in the trunk where the unit is located under the bottom cover on the left side. Strangely the position in the trunk seems to work always but not so for the card access in the armrest. For both you need a full size card.

This just for the records as it doesn't look as if I'm the only one experiencing problems with this.

Just brought my first Lexus LS400 . I've looked at the phone in the arm rest and no slot there. and in the boot on the lefthand side i've found a big black box but cannot find this slot for the card . My car is a '94 . Where's this slot for the card ?

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

The big black box in the trunk looks like it is built up by two parts. A big one and on top of it a smaller one. The slot is on the small side faced towards you (faced towards back of the car) in the small one, at the bottem of it. Chek if that's the case, if you cant find i'll take a digi pic of it and send it to you.

Good luck, greets

Speedy J

Rob,

The big black box in the trunk looks like it is built up by two parts. A big one and on top of it a smaller one. The slot is on the small side faced towards you (faced towards back of the car) in the small one, at the bottem of it. Chek if that's the case, if you cant find i'll take a digi pic of it and send it to you.

Good luck, greets

Speedy J

Sorry for being a muppet speedy , If you could sent a pic this would be great as i have just had a look and cannot find it.

Cheers

Rob

Rob,

A few days have passed BUT I do have a digital pic of the unit and you can see where to put in the SIM-card...only question is how to post the pic in this posting....help anyone?

Speedy J

I too have just acquired a 1998 LS400 with built-in Motorola phones fore and aft, so would really value any help in getting them working. - and shall watch this space.

Napotoo

• 4 months later...
Rob,

A few days have passed BUT I do have a digital pic of the unit and you can see where to put in the SIM-card...only question is how to post the pic in this posting....help anyone?

Speedy J

I too have just acquired a 1998 LS400 with built-in Motorola phones fore and aft, so would really value any help in getting them working. - and shall watch this space.

Napotoo

I've decided to rip out the phone in the arm rest . Cannot find the sim holder.

I've found the big box , but no other box is in the boot , just wires.

think somebody must have taken it out .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links