Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disaster In Se Asia

DaveEllen

OK,

not sure of the rest of you but I've been watching the events of the past few days unfold on the TV and feel the need to do something.

I reckon over 100k people will have died by the end of it and for once man has not caused the problem.

Those of us how can should think about giving some of our hard earned to help these poor people...........think that if 100k die at least a ratio of 5/1 for people affected...........staggering

Making a little political point its interesting how messrs Bush & Blair have been less than forthcoming to date :angry: methinks if the countries had been oil producing it may have been different :whistling:

So............I suggest we send what we can to Oxfam who seem to have their s**t together.

We can do it two ways.........individual cheques to me & I'll send em in in one cheque.

One cheque will be sensible as its less work for them...........I dont mind the work.

I'll be sending £100 from myself & kami.............

please send chqs made payable to me..............to 293 greenhaven drive,london,se28 8fy by 5//1/05...........or straight to Oxfam if thats better for you

Not sure how to prove i've paid but will come up with something ........like paying in slip with names blocked out...............then bank satement..........

anyway as bob geldof said............ :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Dave

Great idea Dave, Wifey came home today with a list of things needed that the local NHS trust in conjuntion with the Rotary clubs have organised.I have photocopied the list and am distributing it around our village,The response has been amazing,the lex will be working overtime delivering pakages to the local hospital ready for shipment.

We take our holiday in Asia every year and find the people friendly and helpful when needed. We were thinking about Phuket for this Feb, but deciced to go back to Borneo,Just as well really as the pics on TV are quite harrowing

Peter

Great idea Dave, Wifey came home today with a list of things needed that the local NHS trust in conjuntion with the Rotary clubs have organised.I have photocopied the list and am distributing it around our village,The response has been amazing,the lex will be working overtime delivering pakages to the local hospital ready for shipment.

We take our holiday in Asia every year and find the people friendly and helpful when needed. We were thinking about Phuket for this Feb, but deciced to go back to Borneo,Just as well really as the pics on TV are quite harrowing

Peter

very harrowing !

was only in august that we were in Sri Lanka

the thought of the devestation out there is terrible

remembering that "bloody" train that woke up us in the mornings, and now seeing it laying amongst the carnage

these people had so little, but were willing to give everything

they would go out their way to help others,

time is of the essence

feel free to send dave your cheques or alternatively get a bank transfer set up

I don't wish to steal your thunder Dave, but the Sri lankan local promoter of charities,and local communities, says quote"Whilst applauding the work of the big NGO's such as Oxfam and Care, it could be more useful and efficient to donate direct.

Here's the link to one of the largest charities in sri Lanka

http://sarvodaya.org/

As i donate regularly to certain charities,and only ever through the right procedure it amazes me that people will donate only when prompted to and only when a foreign disaster takes place as this gives the person some sort of self satisfaction but when it comes to helping charities on home soil they say "i already donate through my taxes",there are 1ooo's of charities you can donate to for as little as £2 a month,like the NSPCC,and any of the cancer ones i.e Mcmillan fund which are worthwhile charity's.

There are unscrupulous people out there that will stand around high streets/knock on doors with a charity box making you feel embarassed that you didn't put any in,so my advise is only go through the correct chanels for donating (through a bank)....that way you know its going to get there and be used for the very reason its designed for.

:)

Have I misunderstood you Pete? Your post sounds a bit sanctimonious...

Good for people reacting to disasters like this and doing their bit - whether it makes them feel good or not is besides the point if it helps as it should do. Yeah, it's great if people can also support other charities on a regular basis, but that's a personal choice and most people have their favourites.

Scorpion = grumpy old man = sanctimonious.......never. ;)

Yeah i think you mis read the post!!!

As bad/devastating as this is any monies collected should be done through a recognised source,and to be aware of fraudsters (not you Mr E) that lurk in high streets shaking tins.

:winky:

remember time is of the essence

stop worrying about how to send money

just send it,

if you want to..send it

if you dont ...dont

dont send for glory or self satisfaction or even for the good of this club, send because you want to help these people

things are getting worse everyday

its not about the dead, its about the living who may soon be dying

dying through lack of medicines

dying through lack of fresh water

dying through lack of fresh food

dying through disease

Good idea Mr E. I donated via my card today. I reckon the lottery should cough up a bit too.

I would like to donate to the cause that part of my taxes currently spent on :-

Illegal wars and other government scaremongering.

Parliamentary salaries, expenses etc.

Anything to do with the EU (ie cash down a HUGE drain).

Money handed to students for simply attending school.

Funding for namby pamby focus groups and pseudo charities.

Cash for newborns + family / parent handouts and tax breaks.

Wonder who i should ask to arrange for this to happen ? :blink:

Good idea Mr E. I donated via my card today. I reckon the lottery should cough up a bit too.

I would like to donate to the cause that part of my taxes currently spent on :-

Illegal wars and other government scaremongering.

Parliamentary salaries, expenses etc.

Anything to do with the EU (ie cash down a HUGE drain).

Money handed to students for simply attending school.

Funding for namby pamby focus groups and pseudo charities.

Cash for newborns + family / parent handouts and tax breaks.

Wonder who i should ask to arrange for this to happen ? :blink:

You got more chance of being made primeminister Tony :D

You'd probabley make a better job of it too :P

My front room is full of stuff that the NHS and the Rotary club asked for,all going down to the local Hospital tomorrow morning.

Local HSBC has a large tin on the counter, everybody in front of me put something in,

so I slipped in some as well

I tell you what Dave,

Being there was frightening, especially the hotel I was at, and hearing the terrible stories there where kids from the Uk where left alone whilst their parents went scuba diving and never returned.

I donated my Asia air miles to the fund, and I had loads of them, would be delighted to make another donation.

Regards

Steve