Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member With Questions!

derekyau

Just took picked up my first Lexus yesterday from Tunbridge Wells (a very helpful and keen salesman). Have got to say they are just amazing cars :zee:

Also like to say that the LOC website is a brilliant source of information - I knew pratically everything about the car before I bought it, so felt that I knew exactly what I wanted.

I have, however, also noticed a couple of things that I did not really think to look into:

1) Are the remote keys really that prone to interferance? I am having such random luck with them working... As the car is under the used car warranty, would a new ECU actually fix anything :question:

2) I'm not sure if I am suffering the clutch judder mentioned in looking for used IS200 - perhaps i've not adjusted to the clutch/gears; but its fine in the higher (3-6) gears...

3) Sat Nav disks are soooo expensive!!! Forgot to haggle an update when I bought the car! :crybaby:

4) Anyone thought of doing a consolidated post of some sort for current Servicing prices, LOC discount? I'll be doing one in Easter or so, as i'll be due a 40k service.

Anyway,

Wish everyone had a lovely Christmas, and to have a prosperous new year :)

Hi mate,

Tunbridge Wells is also my local lexus centre and have been going there for a number of years previously with my Avensis.

Andrew from Lexus and John from Toyota are very helpful.

Speaking to the service chap, the labour rate for Lexus is around £94 compared to Toyota's £74.50. He actually told me it's the same "labour" but you pay a premium price for a luxury motor.. :crybaby:

What is the spec of your car??

Going to your questions:

1). Not sure - I've never had any problems. If your having interference with this set, I'm not sure a new set will react any differently?

2). The manuals are known for this - as you are well aware.. Some owners find after a short period of time you get used to it, or if you do a search, there was something about holding the clutch in for slightly longer when shifting between 1st and 2nd - to minimise the clunk. Or you may want to invest in a short-shifter :whistling:

3). Keep a look out on eBay, or Colin may have one on sale soon. If yours is a 2001, you'll notice the T/Wells Lexus Centre isn't actually on there!

4). they are a very good dealership . Mention my name, I'm sure they remember me :lol:

Welcome to LOC, it only gets better from here,

Purvesh

Hi mate,

Tunbridge Wells is also my local lexus centre and have been going there for a number of years previously with my Avensis.

Speaking to the service chap, the labour rate for Lexus is around £94 compared to Toyota's £74.50. He actually told me it's the same "labour" but you pay a premium price for a luxury motor..  :crybaby:

Going to your questions:

1). Not sure - I've never had any problems. If your having interference with this set, I'm not sure a new set will react any differently?

2). The manuals are known for this - as you are well aware.. Some owners find after a short period of time you get used to it, or if you do a search, there was something about holding the clutch in for slightly longer when shifting between 1st and 2nd - to minimise the clunk. Or you may want to invest in a short-shifter  :whistling:

3). Keep a look out on eBay, or Colin may have one on sale soon. If yours is a 2001, you'll notice the T/Wells Lexus Centre isn't actually on there!

4). they are a very good dealership . Mention my name, I'm sure they remember me  :lol:

Purvesh

Hi Purvesh,

Thanks very much for your reply! Seems that Lex owners are quite a friendly and welcoming bunch!

I also dealt with Andrew Fairbairn from Sales - extremely friendly chap (I know that the service dep also has an Andrew there).

I've got myself an 02 reg IS200 Sport Aero Sat Nav (with the big 18" wheels :D )

1) The remote keys work wonders in certain places, and is a real pain at other times - i read some other posts on LOC that things like Mobile masts and wireless TV transmitter things in your house affect it... :unsure:

2) So this isn't worth speaking to a Lex dealer about? Was going to say "Can I test drive a new/nearly new one", to see if it does the same...

I thought that the Sport does have a "Short Shifter"? Or is this something else? :duh:

3) LOL! Luckily I know exactly how to get to Tun Wells Lex! Erm... who's "Colin"? :blink:

4) Funnyly enough they actually messed up my name on the order forms, warranty docs etc. (got my names wrong way around...), probably wont forget me in a while too! :P

Just took picked up my first Lexus yesterday from Tunbridge Wells (a very helpful and keen salesman). Have got to say they are just amazing cars  :zee:

Also like to say that the LOC website is a brilliant source of information - I knew pratically everything about the car before I bought it, so felt that I knew exactly what I wanted.

I have, however, also noticed a couple of things that I did not really think to look into:

1) Are the remote keys really that prone to interferance? I am having such random luck with them working... As the car is under the used car warranty, would a new ECU actually fix anything :question:

2) I'm not sure if I am suffering the clutch judder mentioned in looking for used IS200 - perhaps i've not adjusted to the clutch/gears; but its fine in the higher (3-6) gears...

hello mate and welcome to loc!!!!!

3) Sat Nav disks are soooo expensive!!! Forgot to haggle an update when I bought the car!  :crybaby:

4) Anyone thought of doing a consolidated post of some sort for current Servicing prices, LOC discount? I'll be doing one in Easter or so, as i'll be due a 40k service.

Anyway,

Wish everyone had a lovely Christmas, and to have a prosperous new year :)

Hi mate,

Speaking to the service chap, the labour rate for Lexus is around £94 compared to Toyota's £74.50. He actually told me it's the same "labour" but you pay a premium price for a luxury motor..  :crybaby:

Going to your questions:

2). The manuals are known for this - as you are well aware.. Some owners find after a short period of time you get used to it, or if you do a search, there was something about holding the clutch in for slightly longer when shifting between 1st and 2nd - to minimise the clunk. Or you may want to invest in a short-shifter  :whistling:

4). they are a very good dealership . Mention my name, I'm sure they remember me  :lol:

Purvesh

Hi Purvesh,

Thanks very much for your reply! Seems that Lex owners are quite a friendly and welcoming bunch!

I also dealt with Andrew Fairbairn from Sales - extremely friendly chap (I know that the service dep also has an Andrew there).

I've got myself an 02 reg IS200 Sport Aero Sat Nav (with the big 18" wheels :D )

1) The remote keys work wonders in certain places, and is a real pain at other times - i read some other posts on LOC that things like Mobile masts and wireless TV transmitter things in your house affect it... :unsure:

2) So this isn't worth speaking to a Lex dealer about? Was going to say "Can I test drive a new/nearly new one", to see if it does the same...

I thought that the Sport does have a "Short Shifter"? Or is this something else? :duh:

3) LOL! Luckily I know exactly how to get to Tun Wells Lex! Erm... who's "Colin"? :blink:

4) Funnyly enough they actually messed up my name on the order forms, warranty docs etc. (got my names wrong way around...), probably wont forget me in a while too! :P

Yeah I was talking about Andrew Lynch from Lexus Service..

Your right there are posts about interference from transmitters etc, but I'm not too sure what the fix was - or if there was one!?

By all means raise the clutch problem with them and see what they say. You may find that the new one doesn't have the same "characteristic" as yours. The short shifter I'm talking about is something else - have a look under mods and tuning - "TRD quick shift", some members have had these fitted and wouldn't go back to standard. Speak to Prolex-Uk.

Colin is the knowledge master here at LOC :winky:

What do mean by clutch judder? Do you mean when pulling away ( especially whan cold ) the car judders and feels like its going to stall or the thump you sometimes hear when you engage a gear?

If its when you pull the gear lever across the gate its normal to have to hold the clutch down of an extra fraction of a second to get it to shifts smooth (especially from first to second).

If you think you need a clutch buzz me coz i managed to get one out of them under warrenty with 70K on the clock.

Happy New year...

bought my car two years ago from lexus tonbridge and had it serviced there ever since,also dealt with Andrew Fairbairn and have to also add he is a top salesman and a nice guy.

If you are having problems only deal with andrew because in my case he was the only one who got anything done ,the others do not return calls etc

the biggest let down for this garage is the fact they share the workshop with toyota and the reception and veiwing area is in the toyota garage next door ,so if you need parts or want to see your lexus being worked on you have to go into the toyota garage :angry: which in my view is a ***** take considering they charge more to service a lexus ,also the parts dept is a waste of space i have orded two things from them and both times the wrong part turned up .my mot is due in a week and for the first time in two years my car will not be going to a lexus garage to have it done

What do mean by clutch judder? Do you mean when pulling away ( especially whan cold ) the car judders and feels like its going to stall or the thump you sometimes hear when you engage a gear?

If its when you pull the gear lever across the gate its normal to have to hold the clutch down of an extra fraction of a second to get it to shifts smooth (especially from first to second).

If you think you need a clutch buzz me coz i managed to get one out of them under warrenty with 70K on the clock.

Happy New year...

Hi Wayne,

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. To be frank, my Girlfriends N reg 106 (with 75k miles) doesn't do it!!! :crybaby:

It does seem to be not as bad after about 5 miles of warming up...

I'll see if it really bugs me enough to get it sorted under warranty, and perhaps seek your assitance! :winky:

Thanks!

Derek

Happy New year...

Hi Wayne,

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. To be frank, my Girlfriends N reg 106 (with 75k miles) doesn't do it!!! :crybaby:

It does seem to be not as bad after about 5 miles of warming up...

I'll see if it really bugs me enough to get it sorted under warranty, and perhaps seek your assitance! :winky:

Thanks!

Derek

I would advise you report it to them now then you can always argue they sold you the car with the fault rather than it occured under your ownership as wear and tear on the clutch is not covered. I put up with it for a year but because i reported it straight away that was the basis of my arguement and be sure they will try to get out of paying for it.

Even if they don't agree with you yet it forms part of the history they keep and if all else fails you can go direct to Lexus uk complaints ( I've done it). I'm not saying you'll have the problems i had with my garage but reporting a fault soon after buying a car is a great advantage and they'll struggle to justify not fitting a new clitch and cover under the warrenty.

PM me if you need help

ust had my is 200 sport serviced at catnerbury and i told them to change the belts all of them inc tensioners

they also done the full 60k service adn changed the rear pads adn mot'd the car come out at 480 was over the moon!!