Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg For First 15,000 Miles

Kevint

So generally speaking what seems to be better?

BP Ultimate or Optimax?

I use Optimax but I've never tried BP Ultimate.

Don't be conned by all the hype from the oil companies!

Fuel is a centrally marketed commodity and they all buy refined products from each other so when you pull into a Shell station you could well be filling up with fuel from Total, ExxonMobil, ChevTexaco etc etc.

Absolutely Mr Morse all the petrol in Scotland comes from the same refinery in Grangemouth.

Was told that the only difference was that the Shell tanker drivers arrived with a can of "stuff" that they put in before they filled up and swerved around a bit on the way out to mix it up, viola Optimax :D

All that the fuel retailers must do is to comply with the British Standard for each RON grade of fuel. So, if the pump says "95" or "97", that's exactly what you are getting.

Ever wondered why the oil business is the most profitable business on earth? Yes, it's all a (totally legal) con! :tsktsk:

BTW :offtopic:

No.2 is the arms trade

No.3 is the narcotics trade

HEY!, thanks for that mpg calculator link. Now i can put away my scientific calculator. Just to give you an update. I put two bottles of octane booster in my full tank and got 53 km more. So I guess it's the quality of the fuel I am getting. I have to check the RON and MON numbers.

I have a chemical engineer friend who knows of an additive that i can mix with the fuel to raise the octane level. The word is much to big for me to spell and forget about even trying to pronounce it, but you can buy it in bulk and add it to the fuel in measured amounts and raise the octane level, he also told me it was good for the valves and engine generally.

I am going to give it a try.

trinilex

BP Ultimate or Optimax?

Fuel is a centrally marketed commodity and they all buy refined products from each other so when you pull into a Shell station you could well be filling up with fuel from Total, ExxonMobil, ChevTexaco etc etc.

Absolutely Mr Morse all the petrol in Scotland comes from the same refinery in Grangemouth.

Was told that the only difference was that the Shell tanker drivers arrived with a can of "stuff" that they put in before they filled up and swerved around a bit on the way out to mix it up, viola Optimax :D

Sorry but wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

1) Shell Optimax is made at Stanlow Refinery and only Stanlow. Where ever in the UK you purchase Optimax it was refined here, about 150 yards from my office. We only make it for ourselves and only sell it on Shell forecourts.

2) There is an agreement between the major ( and I stress major ) refining companies to supply the base product refined to or exceeding the standard for that grade to each others distribution depots and then the various additives are introduced. So Shell unleaded is different to BP unleaded and far far superior to anything sold at any and I stress ( My *** I'm getting stressed today ) any supermarket.

3) Shell spends more per annum on research into improving the total packaage you buy with each litre than any other oil company.

I'd be happy to arrange a visit here to show anyone the truth.

So, how come:

1) In 2004 Shell was told to cease making claims that Optimax improved the performance of ALL vehicles?

2) There has never been any independent data published showing that Optimax improves performance?

So, how come:

1) In 2004 Shell was told to cease making claims that Optimax improved the performance of ALL vehicles?

2) There has never been any independent data published showing that Optimax improves performance?

For number 1) the usual problem of someone buying 5 pounds worth for their Corsa and expecting to out drag motorbikes from the lights. The enhancements come at the top end of the rev range and will only be noticable in "performance" cars. I don't use it in my IS 200 Sport, I use Shell unleaded.

For number 2) I've no idea. I did see one test in I think Which but they tested one gallon if Optimax against one gallon of unleaded. Hardly scientific.

I'll have a dig around. Sorry to be defensive. But I promise we do make the best.

So, how come:

For number 1) the usual problem of someone buying 5 pounds worth for their Corsa and expecting to out drag motorbikes from the lights. The enhancements come at the top end of the rev range and will only be noticable in "performance" cars. I don't use it in my IS 200 Sport, I use Shell unleaded.

For number 2) I've no idea. I did see one test in I think Which but they tested one gallon if Optimax against one gallon of unleaded. Hardly scientific.

I'll have a dig around. Sorry to be defensive. But I promise we do make the best.

By any chance do you happen to be employed by the largest European oil company (for now, at least)?

So, how come:

By any chance do you happen to be employed by the largest European oil company (for now, at least)?

27 years, man and boy.

Back on Topic

Did a 350 mile round trip yesterday, not at granny speed, about 50 miles A roads 300 motorway and dual + half hour traffic jam crawl for a couple of miles.

Got 27 to the gallon :D

Well I was keeping a record from new, but I lost the data for the first month or so, so heres what I have so far...

There is a comparison by brand on the rhs, but the sample size is a little uneven ;)

• 3 months later...

Blimey Chris, I just used three quarters of a tank for 200 miles, I wasn't even going that hard for most of it due to new clutch and brakes, saying that I did get excited this morning with a little Merc on the M1, that was funny, I was letting him pull on me by leaving the car in sixth gear, and he kept trying to undertake, couldn't understand what he was doing as there was a car next to me in the middle, so dropped it into fifth when a gap opened and the look on his face was priceless - have to admit I'm impressed with these ADL clutches :D

BP Ultimate or Optimax?

Sorry but wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

1) Shell Optimax is made at Stanlow Refinery and only Stanlow. Where ever in the UK you purchase Optimax it was refined here, about 150 yards from my office. We only make it for ourselves and only sell it on Shell forecourts.

Erm I know this not not to be true as I work in the oil industry and I know that shell optimax is distributed from us with shells additives in it.

All oil refinerys distribute to all petrol stations in there area.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links