Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Am Looking To Buy An Rx300 Se-l

Hi,

I have been evaluating several SUVs: RX300 SE-L, X5 4.4, Toureg V6, Volvo CX90 V6, Cayenne, Jeep Grand Cherokee and made up my mind on the RX300 SE-L after reading so many good reviews and seeing the so many positive postings on this forum!

Before I order, I have a couple of questions for the experts:

1/ Colors. I am considering the following combinations Platinum Ice/Oakham, Platinum Ice/Pembroke or Astral Black/Pembroke. Any tips? They all look great, difficult to choose.

2/ ICE. I am considering getting the ICE entertainment system. Is it recommended? Does it have any known issues? Do many of you find regular use for it?

3/ Accessories. Are there any other additional accessories worth considering?

4/ Price. What kind of discounts (if any) can I bargain for?

5/ New models. Are there any new updated versions/looks of the RX300 coming out in the near future that I should wait for?

Many Thanks,

Sami

1/ Silver/Black or Black/Black.

2/ It isn't factory fitted (fitted as the vehicle comes into the UK). You can get better aftermarket installations and cheaper so I wouldn't recommend it. Owners have had problems with headphone interference and poor Battery life.

3/ Boot liner, boot/bumper protector.

4/ £2-3k minimum. Look at brokers and get dealers to match price or play dealers off against each other.

5/ RX has just been updated so it would be another 10 months before any thing new is added.

Hi Sami

The only colour I would definately not have is Black. Why? Having had a black car is is the very devil to keep looking nice it is so easy to create a "Bloom" or kinda haze if you use the wrong polish, don't know why but it seems to only effect black, also the black is non metalic I believe, I prefer metalic paint, and the darker the colour the softer the paint. But in the end it is down to personal choice.

Realspeed

[ColinBarber and Realspeed, many thanks for the useful advice]

I have some further questions:

6/ I read on the web that there is an RX400 coming out in 2005. Is the RX400 meant as a replacement for the RX300? Is the RX400 a better car than the RX300? Does it have any updates on the looks of the car? Finally, will the release of the RX400 have a major impact on the resell price of the RX300?

7/ Does the RX300 SE-L have any Bluetooth car-kit? Is it an option or it is standard? If there is, do any of you have any good/bad experiences with it? (I currently have a BMW 5-Series with the Bluetooth car-kit, it does not work with the majority of Bluetooth handsets, only the very old ones like Nokia 6310i)

Thanks,

Sami

The RX400 is in looks the same as the RX300 the difference is it has electic motors at each wheel for fuel economy etc (Think of the Toyota Prius) the principal as far as I am aware is the same.

it isn't a replacement for the RX300, which the 2005 version is fitted with Bluetooth at least on the top of the range. One thing you will notice either on the boards or elsewhere the sat nav dvd is great except that the current version does not have the latest road details , as in the Birmingham toll road etc, hopefully that will be out later this yr but it does have traffic avoidance facility.

the SAT NAV is amazing anyway, take a look at www.Lexus.com the usa version and if you look at the sat nav on there the demo will blow your mind away. OK its the usa version but gives a very good idea of the uk version.

Have to admit it took me some time to get my head around it, but boy is it a good excuse to get away from the other half.

Colin Barber will no doubt be able to give you more information than I ever could but at least I will try my best

Realspeed

No excuse for not going to the vatican city or most of europe the SAT Nav covers most

6/ The 400h isn't a replacement just a different engine choice and there are slight interior/exterior changes. It will give you more power and will use less fuel. No prices have been announced yet but there is talk of a £3k premium over the standard 300 in all trim levels.

It should be out within 6 months however there are waiting lists so if you put your name down now you may not get one for 12 months.

Difficult to tell. Initially it will be hard to get hold of a 400h so their prices may even go above retail. In the longer term if the mpg is a good as is suggested the 400h will probably be the model of choice however as it will be more expensive the 300s will look a good deal and therefore the prices shouldn't be affected too much.

If the 400h takes some of the diesel market then the RX profile will be raised even more so that should have a positive impact on resale values of the whole range.

• 1 month later...
Difficult to tell. Initially it will be hard to get hold of a 400h so their prices may even go above retail. In the longer term if the mpg is a good as is suggested the 400h will probably be the model of choice however as it will be more expensive the 300s will look a good deal and therefore the prices shouldn't be affected too much.

If the 400h takes some of the diesel market then the RX profile will be raised even more so that should have a positive impact on resale values of the whole range.

Is the RX400 not a 4.0 litre engine. So how will the fuel consumption be better than a 3.00 litre. I am intending to order a Harrier with a 2.4l engine but this is mainly for consumption issues if there will not be major fuel consumption difference then I would like to consider on the RX400h.

Any advise, in terms of running costs of the RX400?

Is the RX400 not a 4.0 litre engine.  So how will the fuel consumption be better than a 3.00 litre.  I am intending to order a Harrier with a 2.4l engine but this is mainly for consumption issues if there will not be major fuel consumption difference then I would like to consider on the RX400h.

The RX400H is a hybrid car so for round town journeys it will use the electric engine which is why fuel efficiency increases, take the Toyota Prius as an example....