Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Unlocking Doors

Pick up my SE with Sat Nav on Thursday.I have pinched the handbooks already but cannot determine if you can unlock the drivers door only with the remote.I believe this to be a useful safety feature - any comments?

Have a feeling I will be back with more questions idc.

Pick up my SE with Sat Nav on Thursday.I have pinched the handbooks already but cannot determine if you can unlock the drivers door only with the remote.I believe this to be a useful safety feature - any comments?

Have a feeling I will be back with more questions idc.

do not believe that it will just unlock the drivers door - all or nothing im afraid.

Colin, is it only cars that have OBD-II (is that just the reader or also the name of the programming interface? Can remember seeing a post listing all that could be changed on the IS300 that couldn't be changed on the IS200 but can't remember the correct terminology for it) that you can do this with, shame you can't do it on the IS200 as that would have been a nice function!

CBEST (Customized Body Electronics System) is the system that allows programmable functions. The IS has limited programming functions compared to the rest of the Lexus range. The system is accessed via Toyota/Lexus diagnostic equipment which connects to the OBD-II connector but doesn't have anything to do with the OBD-II standard.

I don't think you can do it on an IS200 but I'll dig out the programming options I got from Lexus to check.

Ah that's the one thanks mate, CBEST, couldn't remember it for the life of me, the option for this wasn't in the CBEST document for the IS I saw, but then again it was a IS300 document, think I bought the wrong car :(

• 1 month later...
I asked to have this set on my RX300 SE-L but was told it couldn't be done. It is a great shame - had it on my BMW and was very useful - especially when filling up in dodgy petrol stations when dark.

I would contact Lexus GB and ask them if it is possible - it is on most models so I don't see why it isn't on the RX.

Did you ask your dealer? It wouldn't be the first time a dealer has said something cannot be done when it can.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Any news on this? it is a most useful feature.

When I bought my RX I was told it could be done. When I got it I was told it couldn't. Like the previous poster I had it on my previous BMW. I also had the central lockoing come on when I got past about 10 MPH. Again was told it could be programmed B4 I bought the car and was then told it couldn't when I got it.

Bummer.

When I bought my RX I was told it could be done. When I got it I was told it couldn't. Like the previous poster I had it on my previous BMW. I also had the central lockoing come on when I got past about 10 MPH. Again was told it could be programmed B4 I bought the car and was then told it couldn't when I got it.

Bummer.

You should be able to get the "single press unlocks drivers door only" - I am pretty certain Colin did get this done.

I tried to get the "auto lock after a certain speed" and was told that could not be done, although they could set it so the doors auto unlocked when I shift into P.

Both of these are on MKII GS's though :blush:

Can I put another point of view about doors that lock above a certain speed.

There is no way would I ever have a car that did that, imagine being in a crash and people outside the car trying to get you out, with doors locked it could mean the difference between life and death.

Ok bit over dramatic you may say, but it does/could happen. I would much rather have cars that you can lock if you want or not, after all how much effort is it to push the lock button if thats what a driver wants.

I do think that there comes a point where things being done automatically does tend to be a bit over the top.

To think when I started driving widow wipers were worked of vacuum from the engine(put your foot down and they stopped working altogether), radios were an expensive luxury and heating was just a small radiator with hot water passing through it. Not forgetting that ladies thought the choke button when pulled out was for hanging handbags on (sorry Ladies had to get that one in)

I am talking about a 100e Ford Anglia 1954 model that had 3 forward gears and reverse with a side valve 1172cc engine which was my first car, boy how things have moved on since then.

Realspeed

Can I put another point of view about doors that lock above a certain speed.

There is no way would I ever have a car that did that, imagine being in a crash and people outside the car trying to get you out, with doors locked it could mean the difference between life and death.

Ok bit over dramatic you may say, but it does/could happen. I would much rather have cars that you can lock if you want or not,  after all how much effort is it to push the lock button if thats what a driver wants.

I can appreciate the reasoning behind not doing it as standard.

but - it is a feature of the personalisation of the car - and if an owner asks for it - they should be able to get it.

I balanced up the risks of being trapped in the event of an accident against the safety of the car locking automatically - and I preferred to have it lock.

but they couldn't do it :(