Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Private Number Plate

Hi guys im after some advice here. I have never had a private plate but am just about to buy one from a guy. I just wondered what the process was with regards to him transfering the plate over to my name (how long that takes and if it costs?) and wether i will incur any other paper work or costs before the plate actually goes on my car. Its a Lexus plate for my lexus (obviously) so im really keen to get it on there. Thanks

If the plate you are buying is on a retention certificate. Then he (the owner) has to sign it over to you on the document.

You then take the document + M.O.T. + YOUR v5 (log book) + insurance docs.and Tax disc to your local Taxation office.

Fill out the neccessary forms and pay £80.00 it takes around 3-5 days

Then you can put your plate on.

In my Tax office (Manchester) they have a seperate counter for cherished No.s

and they are very helpful and efficient.

Hi guys im after some advice here. I have never had a private plate but am just about to buy one from a guy. I just wondered what the process was with regards to him transfering the plate over to my name (how long that takes and if it costs?) and wether i will incur any other paper work or costs before the plate actually goes on my car. Its a Lexus plate for my lexus (obviously) so im really keen to get it on there. Thanks

Right, so he just has to fill out part of the retention form and then send the form to me in the port? He was saying something about sending it away himself for a few weeks?

I sold one of my old plates and all I had to do was put the new owners name on and I sent it to him. He took it down and paid £80.00

Why would the other guy have to send it off? He only has to sign it and designate YOU as the new owner.

If the plate is still on his vehicle then he will have to go and re-register that car for another number and get the "private" No. put on to a retention certificate.

But if it is already on the Ret/Cert. then there should be no problem its really straight forward.