Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Ordered Rx300 Sel

Hello,

I need help please! I've just ordered my new lex - hope to take delivery on 1/3/05.

After deciding 2 months ago that I wanted the Alutien Grey with Oakham, on the day of ordering, I changed my mind and went for the Astral Black with Sussex!

I have read practically every note on this site now re colour combinations and I am wondering if I should go for my husbands choice - Platinum ice with the Sussex? But there are so many silver cars on the market and I just think that the black speaks volumes!!!!

I am really worried about scratches particularly now that I have learn't about the "water" based paint that is used...I assume scratches are bad enough with oil based paint!

I'm geting the protector thrown in but some of you really don't rate it!

What is a girl to do??? :blink:

sanpee

They look excellent in black. Just need to keep it clean and use quality cleaning products.

I'm not sure if the black is water based, that may only be the metallic/mica colours. The black doesn't have a clear-coat so the actual paint is exposed which I think would need to be oil based?

yes all car paints are now water based, the old twinpack they used to use under health and safety gave off toxic fumes above recommended saftey levels, so car manufactures and resprayers now are only allowed water based paints. I was speaking to a car restorer only the other day on the same subject.

That is how I know the darker the paint the softer it is due to more pigmentation required.

Hope this is of some help

Realspeed

Hi Sanpee,

Congrats on your order! I am ordering a Black one shortly too (with Black Leather), I was debating on getting a Silver one but I just could not resist.

ColinBarber, you mention that quality cleaning products should be used, could you please explain further? I usually get my car cleaned at a local hand car wash place which use powerjet hoses but I am unaware of what the exact cleaning products they use are. Any tips?

Also, with regards to paint protectors, should this be ordered at the dealer's? Do they usually supply is with protectors applied? And are protectors recommended to be added at each service? (or does Lexus do that anyway?)

Thanks,

Sami

We had exactly the same problems when trying to order ours some months back.

My wife wanted the black and whilst I thought it too looked great was concerned about various issues relting to keeping it clean and longevity. In the end I so wanted to my wife to have her choice although I'll be using it every day :D I put all of the above to one side and went and looked at both side by side and viewed them on the basis which looked best. I was very close to choosing the black but in the end came down to the silver on the basis that i personnaly thought it looked the best colour for the car. In the desing of the RX300 there are various creases and curves in the body work which in black the light doesn't reflect off these in quite the same way as the silver and therefore these are not so noticeable. The black therefore for me took on a more slab like appearance than the silver. The black tyres, the black in the wheel arches and then the bodywork also compounded this for me. But colour is very subjective so don't let my own personal preference sway you. i only mentioned the elements that i looked at which helped me make the decision. As for the interior colour. I have longed for another car with black leather interior as I had my last car taken away from me prematurely through redundancy. However in the end we went for oakham just on the basis we thought it made thje car the most luxurious looking. The black looked great except for the dash. Personanly I felt in the black the material used for the dash looked shiny in comparison with the other colours and made it look it cheaper.

Don't know if any of that will help you or not.

br

D

My wife wanted the black and whilst I thought it too looked great was concerned about various issues relting to keeping it clean and longevity. In the end I so wanted to my wife to have her choice although I'll be using it every day  :D  I put all of the above to one side and went and looked at both side by side and viewed them on the basis which looked best. I was very close to choosing the black but in the end came down to the silver on the basis that i personnaly thought it looked the best colour for the car. In the desing of the RX300 there are various creases and curves in the body work which in black the light doesn't reflect off these in quite the same way as the silver and therefore these are not so noticeable. The black therefore for me took on a more slab like appearance than the silver. The black tyres, the black in the wheel arches and then the bodywork also compounded this for me. But colour is very subjective so don't let my own personal preference sway you. i only mentioned the elements that i looked at which helped me make the decision. As for the interior colour. I have longed for another car with black leather interior as I had my last car taken away from me prematurely through redundancy. However in the end we went for oakham just on the basis we thought it made thje car the most luxurious looking. The black looked great except for the dash. Personanly I felt in the black the material used for the dash looked shiny in comparison with the other colours and made it look it cheaper.

br

D

My wife wanted the black and whilst I thought it too looked great was concerned about various issues relting to keeping it clean and longevity. In the end I so wanted to my wife to have her choice although I'll be using it every day  :D  I put all of the above to one side and went and looked at both side by side and viewed them on the basis which looked best. I was very close to choosing the black but in the end came down to the silver on the basis that i personnaly thought it looked the best colour for the car. In the desing of the RX300 there are various creases and curves in the body work which in black the light doesn't reflect off these in quite the same way as the silver and therefore these are not so noticeable. The black therefore for me took on a more slab like appearance than the silver. The black tyres, the black in the wheel arches and then the bodywork also compounded this for me. But colour is very subjective so don't let my own personal preference sway you. i only mentioned the elements that i looked at which helped me make the decision. As for the interior colour. I have longed for another car with black leather interior as I had my last car taken away from me prematurely through redundancy. However in the end we went for oakham just on the basis we thought it made thje car the most luxurious looking. The black looked great except for the dash. Personanly I felt in the black the material used for the dash looked shiny in comparison with the other colours and made it look it cheaper.

br

D

Black is this years colour i fink !

Mine arrives 12th Jan - fingers crossed

With the quantity of Astral Black's coming on the road

6 weeks wait ain't to bad

:winky:

Shoggy, congrats on your purchase! What color interior did you end up going for? I am currently debating between black/grey interior. Also, did you get a choice on having wood finish or was there none?

I would tend to agree with Damian regarding the curves of the car and their reflections with different colour combinations.

But as he rightly say, it is a very subjective matter, and everyone has their own tastes and preferences...the important thing is to enjoy what you have.

They are both great colours the only downside i have found to black cars in the past is keeping them clean. :angry:

I live on a farm and despite my best efforts of washing and cleaning my old black VW golf it alwys ended up dusty and muddy in a matter of hours. :crybaby:

However if you live in a town or city where you dont have to drive up an unmade track every day to get home then black does look the mutts nuts in my opinion of course.

my is200 has oakham leather interior and despite my initial concerns for the light interior i wouldnt change to black leather again.

My car has the supaguard protector on it and it really makes a diference in keeping the car clean

on the subject of cleaning products Meguiars nxt or any meguairs product for that matter is fantastic gear.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I need help please!  I've just ordered my new lex - hope to take delivery on 1/3/05.

After deciding 2 months ago that I wanted the Alutien Grey with Oakham, on the day of ordering, I changed my mind and went for the Astral Black with Sussex!

I have read practically every note on this site now re colour combinations and I am wondering if I should go for my husbands choice - Platinum ice with the Sussex?  But there are so many silver cars on the market and I just think that the black speaks volumes!!!!

I am really worried about scratches particularly now that I have learn't about the "water" based paint that is used...I assume scratches are bad enough with oil based paint!

What is a girl to do???  :blink:

sanpee

:driving: Hi, why the delay?, I ordered mine 2 weeks ago, got it saturday! :question:

Hello,

I need help please!  I've just ordered my new lex - hope to take delivery on 1/3/05.

I have read practically every note on this site now re colour combinations and I am wondering if I should go for my husbands choice - Platinum ice with the Sussex?  But there are so many silver cars on the market and I just think that the black speaks volumes!!!!

What is a girl to do

sanpee

Follow your :heart:

• 2 weeks later...