Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

One of the tail lights on my GS has been dodgy for a while - it doesn't reliably come on. (The orange indicator on the dash to warn of a failed bulb has never come on)

I discovered that by tapping the rear lens the bulb will illuminate. Once it does it stays on happily until the lights are turned off, so it's not like a loose connection that fails on bumps or anything.

However, that situation is clearly crap so I bought a nice new bulb. (Which fell out when I fitted it and is now rattling around irretrievably inside the lens cover. Sigh.)

Anyway, I replaced the OLD bulb, which has reverted to the "sometimes it fails to come on until you tap the lens cover" behaviour - and joy and delight now the other side does the same.

So it's not bulbs - must be wiring somewhere, you'd think, but on both sides? Any clues from electrical bods before I pay £110 an hour for a dealer to prod at it gloomily and diagnose a four grand part with a smirk?

Such stars - thanks guys. I'll invest £2.98 at Halfords and get two new ones again then - just hope my competence levels don't result in two more bulbs disappearing inside the cluster for all eternity. Be a lovely surprise for the next owner, that.

Try a piece of old flex with some Sellotape wrapped backwards (sticky side out) on the end. You may be able to use this to fish out the bulb.

thats nice thinking that i'll have to remember that next time i do the same. Oh btw, don't get too carried away with the whacking of the lens', its a temporary fix and my dads would work for weeks, but he got a little aggresive with it once and cracked the reflector on the right hand side light, then it'd steam up with a change of weather :unsure:

The Sellotape idea is a good un, although I don't think it will stick well enough from just prodding. I'll give it a go though. Thanks for that.

Also, thank you to Daniel, and welcome to the GS ranks mate - must have missed your entrance. As it were.

LPG? Tell us all! How much, what's it like, mpg...I toyed with it but decided it was not cost effective for my mileage. Did you buy the car with it already done?

LPG? Tell us all! How much, what's it like, mpg...I toyed with it but decided it was not cost effective for my mileage. Did you buy the car with it already done?

You probably also missed the post by Lexus Edinburgh who are currently stripping down a GS300 engine with valve damage due to LPG so you need to make sure about the quality of the conversion.

Lexus GB or Toyota GB do not recommend LPG conversions due to valve damage as the engines are not designed for it.

The Sellotape idea is a good un, although I don't think it will stick well enough from just prodding. I'll give it a go though. Thanks for that.

Also, thank you to Daniel, and welcome to the GS ranks mate - must have missed your entrance. As it were.

Thanks for the welcome!

I had my GS converted with a PRINS VSI Sequential injection LPG system, i also have a "flashlube" thing to stop wear in the valve seats. It will take a couple of years to pay it back but i've had this car for 4.5 years and can't see any other car thats better so i'm just going to look after it as best i can and make it last as long as possible.

I loose 10% of my mpg visible on the trip computer, and its 10% worse than that. So on a typical trip to work my petrol mpg would have been say 24, the computer reads 22 but i'm actually getting 20..... Its a hell of a relief when it only costs £20 to fill it up tough.

On a steady motorway run i can just get 300 miles to 55litres of lpg if i don't push it.

The annoying thing about the GS (and i think i've seen someone with an IS and the same problem) is that the fuel gauge drops even if your not using any petrol. Every couple of days it will spring back up to the level in the tank and the computer will zero the "miles since last refuel". This means if your doing a lot of miles your petrol fuel gauge just reads zero all the time - damn annoying with the light on.

The LPG place did warn me about the gauge thing and apparantly you can get some kind of gadget to fix it.

Oh - the one big downer about the conversion is that Lexus Oxford have been really snooty about it. Anything that's wrong with the car "thats your conversion mate, can't touch it". Sometimes i think if my remote Battery went flat they'd even try to blame that on the conversion......

To end this essay on an up note - the car drives exactly the same on lpg as it does on petrol bar a very very very slightly rougher idle.

That's interesting Daniel. Shame that Lexus Oxford aren't being very helpful - are you thinking of moving away from the Lexus network to independent yet anyway though, at that age of car?

£20 fillups do sound attractive, but then again it's a long payback period - sounds as if it works for you though.

I've seen mention of the resetting problem you mention, but mine has never done it, miraculously, so perhaps it's not an inherent fault in the design, rather a case of some do some don't.

Colin, I had missed that post - maybe I blinked.

That's interesting Daniel. Shame that Lexus Oxford aren't being very helpful - are you thinking of moving away from the Lexus network to independent yet anyway though, at that age of car?

£20 fillups do sound attractive, but then again it's a long payback period - sounds as if it works for you though.

I've seen mention of the resetting problem you mention, but mine has never done it, miraculously, so perhaps it's not an inherent fault in the design, rather a case of some do some don't.

Colin, I had missed that post - maybe I blinked.

I'd love to find a good independant garage to use as I don't find lexus particularly competent anyway.

Not all GS300's have the fuel gauge work that way so i'm told, obviously its only a problem if you have an LPG conversion anyway. I'm a bit baffled as to why they designed it that way.

Not all GS300's have the fuel gauge work that way so i'm told, obviously its only a problem if you have an LPG conversion anyway. I'm a bit baffled as to why they designed it that way.

Just to let you know, mine started to show a similar Fuel Gauge problem, but the £20 quid refueling offsets the inconvience of the fuel light being constantly on. I'm going to try and have a look at the fuel gauge sender in a couple of weeks, just to see whether it's fixable, and will report back here if anyone's interested.