Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Ideas

Ally

I've got some alloy dust caps which have stuck to the valve on every wheel. They are all stuck on that much that the valve is turning when i try a bit of force. I have tried WD40 but it is still the same. Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

Ally

thats the problem with ally dust caps - valve stem is brass to u get differential metal corrosion - u could try and hold the valve with some pliers and then loosen the caps.

if ur fitting alloy caps then always use a bit of vaselene/ silicone grease etc on the threads

try getting the valves to be at the top of the wheel, (not easy maybe 1 at a time)

spray some wd40 or 3in1 so that it drips into where the thread is , leave for a couple of hours, may loosen them up :D

thanks guys, i'll let you know how i get on. The biggest problem is that they are spinning anti-theft ones, so you can't get a good grip on them. The key you get with them is ok for normal use, but it is useless when you need a bit more force. I think i will go back to my plastic ones and keep these for a special occassion ( if they last longer than tomorrow!!)

mine had to be removed with an air ratchet cos the rubber kept spinning. so take it to kwik fit etc and get em to do it! then if the valve stem gets buggered they can change it too

tried with the pliers but still nothing. Took it to ATS and the young YTS boy managed to get them off without damaging the valves. He cleaned the threads with steel wool and then put some new plastic ones on for me. He didn't charge me anything so i gave him some beer money for tonight. I am just going to leave the plastic ones on, and keep the alloy ones for the summer. I will of course remember the vaseline :winky: