Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight Lens Scratches

lexlex1

All my front lights were spanking new very clean. But I have scratched both lights on one side. Simply over zealous cleaning with a kitchen sponge and washing up liquid. There was no need ! Silly ! I forgot it was plastic! Anyway is there a technique to clean and and polish restore; solution which one.

If the scratches are deeper then I have used wet and dry paper finishing with 2000 grade (which makes the lens go cloudy with fine scratches ) and then using a compound like G10 or T-Cut should work.

Takes a lot of work.

Brasso is ace for this!!

Buy it in any woman's shop, and it works wonders, just don't get it on your paintwork, saw the recommendation on here ages ago for that, was it you Dave who suggested it??

Colin thanks for your quick input. Yes its already become all cloudy with scratches from the kitchen sponge scrubbing side, there was so much foam and lather that I realized seconds later.

The scratches may be too deep for just t-cut if you used a kitchen sponge.

Hello All. Its good just talking about this silly stupid headache. Anyway mistakes do happen. So is Brasso the brass metal polish stuff ? Plexus is another US product on the web. And Colin the scratches are fine and thin but so many and all over that the whole lens looks has become cloudy. So T-Cut or Brasso. Replies please.

Besty ! Please can you be specific on the products. Returned from Halfords empty handed. After feeling dam ediotic in the first place. The usual applies - 'If it aint broke dont fix it !

sorry i didnt know you is a bird.go to your local hardware shop or tescos etc and get some brasso metal polish,it does work on light scratches a treat,colins method for the deep stuff.just put on your cloth and rub hardish in circle motion,buff up. :)

OK. Well thank to all. Will let you know how I get on with the job.

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/

PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish

This easy to use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible clear plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar’s exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology (MDAT) easily removes oxidation, chemical degradation, contamination, stains and light surface scratches. Plastx also contains long lasting durable protection to keep your plastics clear and beautiful longer. PlastX is non-toxic and does not contain harsh solvents.

Not sure if I will get it right with Brasso or T-Cut or G10. But will see.

Just reluctant to use a brass metal polish !

Found a dealer for the above nearby.

Others:

http://www.autogeek.net/megglascarki.html

http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/page6.html

OK ! If any one of you out there have a similar problem or make this silly silly soding mistake. The Plastx works fine. I have even more clear headlight lenses ! £6.99 Check the website for stockists near you. Just the Plastx and easy firm polish for 20mins. Did not investigate G10 or T-cut, Brasso. Stayed clear of sanding. Not on the front lights surely! Rear lights can get same treatment now. Relieved.

Personally, i've removed deep scratches some bizarre burn like marks for my plastic light lenses just with t-cut original alone, didn't matter how deep they were, within reason, just a little bit of elbow grease and they look as good as new