Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What size are the current tyres?

On the RX300 mk1, the original tyres size is 225/60/17 and there aren't many manufacturers offering these dimensions. I would advice to keep the Dunlop SP270 with the original dimensions because of some feedback I got from tyreshop salesman (who rather sells Continental!). Apparently as the RX300 mk1 suspension was tuned with the SP270 and is very sensitive to tyre structure variation, changing for another brand could cause some trouble (i.e. resonance with suspension). I did not experience it myself (I kept using the SP270 trying to avoid the trouble). Moreover changing the tyre width could impact the vehicle balance even further, not talking about the potential certification issues in case of an accident.

Nevertheless, if you would still like to give it a try, you can find the equivalent total wheel diameter sizes in the table below. Keeping in mind that the first two are the ones certified by Lexus.

width / series / diam / rim diam (mm) / wheel diameter (mm)

215/70/16/406,4/707,4

225/60/17/431,8/701,8

245/55/17/431,8/701,3

245/50/18/457,2/702,2

Moreover changing the tyre width could impact the vehicle balance even further, not talking about the potential certification issues in case of an accident.

in the UK there are no set sizes on the certification document as in germany,switzerland etc. - i am assuming that this is what u mean???

Moreover changing the tyre width could impact the vehicle balance even further, not talking about the potential certification issues in case of an accident.

in the UK there are no set sizes on the certification document as in germany,switzerland etc. - i am assuming that this is what u mean???

Exactly, I was refering the the TUV type certification.

I am trying to get new tyres for my Lexus RX300 2002 with 17 inch wheels. The only ones appear to be Dunlop SP and I am not happy with the ride and handling. Are there any other tyres that can be used or can I change the tyre width from 225.

The Dunlops are the only thing available in that size at the moment , as someone else pointed out changing the size is not a good idea really. As a guide you can buy them for £96+vat

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2001 RX and it came with 215/70/16 Toyo tyres as standard and I have replaced these each time from a local source.

I bought a set of 4 last july for £335 including tracking. Mileage was about 40k and it was the second lot on the front and the first replacements on the back.